Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Official C8 Corvette Thread

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $10,000 bucks says this car sucks
    Explain yourself!!! #swordtiptothroat
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    ute

Well for sure the interior is going to be a disappointment compared to what people are expecting.

Also Matt Farah said it was weird to drive a mid engine car with a low redline.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Hard to imagine this car disappointing in regards to performance unless there are major cooling issues. The performance/price factor is going to be incredibly hard to beat. Typical GM quality issues could sour owners that came from Porsches or other higher level brands as it seems like this Corvette may see more crossover from buyers that typically wouldn't purchase a Corvette.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Well for sure the interior is going to be a disappointment compared to what people are expecting.

Also Matt Farah said it was weird to drive a mid engine car with a low redline.
    I was watching some instagram clips of those guys driving it, and that's the first thing I noticed when they were doing acceleration videos that showed the dashboard haha. Strange to see a redline that low in a car that looks like that.

Would someone who is actually looking at cars that are double or triple or more the price of a Corvette and offer less performance actually cross shop those cars with a Corvette?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    V8s

I think so. Ask @Buster .

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Would someone who is actually looking at cars that are double or triple or more the price of a Corvette and offer less performance actually cross shop those cars with a Corvette?
    They'll cross shop them and then shit-talk them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I think the Corvette is going to get cross shopped across a very wide range of cars. Much wider than any other Corvette before it. It's also going to get a lot of conquest buyers that it didn't have a shot at before. A big segment of 911 buyers, perhaps. The f-type guy, perhaps.

And it is also going to reach into the entry level supercar territory. One weird impact it will have it will democratize mid-engined cars. Sure you had the cayman/boxster I guess. But it will take a lot of the exclusive feel away from Ferrari/Mclaren/Lambo since a mid-engine sports car with supercar performance will be all over the place.

In terms of performance, the only car that is 2-3x more that might not keep up with the new vette would be the 458. Maybe. The current crop of entry level sueprcars like the 570s/488/R8 etc would take the new Vette and spit it out in terms of performance.

Nothing in life comes for free...and my guess, and from what I've heard, is that the fit and finish and general quality of the interior of the C8 is really just more of the same from Corvette.

In terms of performance, the only car that is 2-3x more that might not keep up with the new vette would be the 458. Maybe. The current crop of entry level sueprcars like the 570s/488/R8 etc would take the new Vette and spit it out in terms of performance.
    Agree about the interior quality (and the exterior perhaps, I remember a friend giving me a ride in his wonder-Zr1 when that came out in the later 2000s, and the rear body panel that houses the tail lights would flex in and out and make this popping sound like it was a home made musical instrument almost). About the quote though, this might be true, we won't know until the new Vette is tracked and times compared to these supercars, but also remember that there will be a Z06 and ZR1 version of the new mid engine Vette coming, and those cars will be the true test vs supercars IMO, not this first base-ish model Z71 version. I realize they'll cost a lot more, but a $100k Z06 isn't out of the realm of possibility, maybe even less, who knows. Even the new C8 ZR1 or whatever they'll call it, when it comes out it'll surely still be 1/2 the cost or less of most of the supercars you mentioned Buster. I'll wager that C8 variant will be very, very close to the 570, 488 (and it's upcoming replacement or whatever Ferarri is calling the F8), Audi's R8, etc. In fact it should smoke the R8 IMO, but again, we'll see once they get on the track.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 10-06-2019 at 07:13 PM.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

I think it's a great evolution to have this as as option for the brand, as long as they don't shelve the traditional models (which they can't...they would have a civil war!). Open's up a new part of the demographic, and shows they're willing to experiment and compete. Can't wait to come across one in real life.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Agree about the interior quality (and the exterior perhaps, I remember a friend giving me a ride in his wonder-Zr1 when that came out in the later 2000s, and the rear body panel that houses the tail lights would flex in and out and make this popping sound like it was a home made musical instrument almost). About the quote though, this might be true, we won't know until the new Vette is tracked and times compared to these supercars, but also remember that there will be a Z06 and ZR1 version of the new mid engine Vette coming, and those cars will be the true test vs supercars IMO, not this first base-ish model Z71 version. I realize they'll cost a lot more, but a $100k Z06 isn't out of the realm of possibility, maybe even less, who knows. Even the new C8 ZR1 or whatever they'll call it, when it comes out it'll surely still be 1/2 the cost or less of most of the supercars you mentioned Buster. I'll wager that C8 variant will be very, very close to the 570, 488 (and it's upcoming replacement or whatever Ferarri is calling the F8), Audi's R8, etc. In fact it should smoke the R8 IMO, but again, we'll see once they get on the track.
    I dunno. The r8 looks a lot better... Has an exotic motor.... And interior quality that comes only be matched by the amg gts.

and from what I've heard, is that the fit and finish and general quality of the interior of the C8 is really just more of the same from Corvette.
    Very disappointing if true, I thought Chevy might finally step it up for their new halo car in that department. Hard to imagine it costs a manufacturer more than a few hundred dollars to not cut as many corners on the inside. If it had a decent interior and a $1-2K higher sticker, nobody would complain.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Very disappointing if true, I thought Chevy might finally step it up for their new halo car in that department. Hard to imagine it costs a manufacturer more than a few hundred dollars to not cut as many corners on the inside. If it had a decent interior and a $1-2K higher sticker, nobody would complain.
    I think it was Matt Farrah on his podcast that said when you open the C8 door, all of the trim around the door, the first thing oyu see, is basically cheap plain plastic. Compare to even basic audis and certainly 911s, GTS, etc, you have nice aluminum trim pieces that fit nicely and maybe have the brand on them. I knoiw exactly what he's talking about.

I also predict the doors will feel cheap when you close them, but thats just a guess.

The overall point they made though, is that GM's goal is to deliver you performance. You can't do all the other stuff and keep it cheap - life doesn't work that way.

Going fast is easy (Mustang, Camaro, every Dodge, even Vette). Going fast with class is expensive (911, R8, Maclaren, GTS, Aston)

I think it was Matt Farrah on his podcast that said when you open the C8 door, all of the trim around the door, the first thing oyu see, is basically cheap plain plastic. Compare to even basic audis and certainly 911s, GTS, etc, you have nice aluminum trim pieces that fit nicely and maybe have the brand on them. I knoiw exactly what he's talking about.

I also predict the doors will feel cheap when you close them, but thats just a guess.

The overall point they made though, is that GM's goal is to deliver you performance. You can't do all the other stuff and keep it cheap - life doesn't work that way.

Going fast is easy (Mustang, Camaro, every Dodge, even Vette). Going fast with class is expensive (911, R8, Maclaren, GTS, Aston)
    Agreed - again, I'm not arguing about the quality of the Corvette, I had a 2006 myself for a while, and like I said drove around in a friend's ZR1. The quality is pretty awful compared to other luxury/sport brands like you mentioned, nobody will argue that. What I'm saying (and you said as well regarding performance) is that if this base model C8 is putting up impressive numbers close to the supercars you mentioned, I'm sure the Z06 and ZR1 models will match them - not in quality or overall appeal, but in performance and lap time numbers on the track. Some people will buy Vettes just for the performance numbers, others will want a car that wasn't make by a "Fat man in Kentucky" as Jeremy Clarson put it, and want all the higher quality things that come with super cars, Porsche, MB, and BMW (sort of, haha).

I'll still drive a C8 when they come out and when somebody I know takes delivery (I have a couple friends who have ordered them), and decide then if I like it or not. For me/us we usually have one summer fun/sports car, which is driven a lot in the non winter driving months, so I want a car that's not just fast and fun, but livable and enjoyable. Maybe the C8 will be, I know it'll be hard to find a car that I like more than our LC500 right now, that's for sure, short of something like the R8 or moving up into the 200$k+ used or $300k new supercar market, which while tempting, isn't something I can convince the missus to do. Yet.

My Ride
    Silverado

I I also predict the doors will feel cheap when you close them, but thats just a guess.
    But how will it sound with the window down?

I still see this car punching way above its weight class with regards to performance. People who are willing and able to spend twice as much on a fancier experience probably will.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    But how will it sound with the window down?

I still see this car punching way above its weight class with regards to performance. People who are willing and able to spend twice as much on a fancier experience probably will.
    That's always been the case with Corvettes. I think what people are waiting for and hoping for with the C8 was that it would punch above its weight without an asterix.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So, people just hoped the laws of economics would stop applying? Or they just hoped it would cost 2x as much? I don't see either as a real win for humanity.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

It’s happening!
    https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/10/...ails-revealed/

5.5, DOHC, FPC. 500hp, 480tq in the race car. Really good tq/l so far.

I estimate a 600hp, 465tq street version if they pull it off which I don’t know how they will. 5.5 is MASSIVE for a FPC
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So, people just hoped the laws of economics would stop applying? Or they just hoped it would cost 2x as much? I don't see either as a real win for humanity.
    I somewhat agree, but consider Ferrari. It's not like a $400,000 Ferrari is netting them the equivalent margins as a GM. It very well may be closer to a $100k car and a $300k donation to their racing program. They don't even make much of a secret of that.
    So, it's not completely inconceivable that GM could produce an ultimate fusion of Art & Technology for radically less money than Ferrari is willing to.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I somewhat agree, but consider Ferrari. It's not like a $400,000 Ferrari is netting them the equivalent margins as a GM. It very well may be closer to a $100k car and a $300k donation to their racing program. They don't even make much of a secret of that.
    So, it's not completely inconceivable that GM could produce an ultimate fusion of Art & Technology for radically less money than Ferrari is willing to.
    Yes, but then again, the market for a $400,000 car is probably 1/20th that of a $100,000 car, so the profit potential is smaller, even if profit per unit is higher.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast