Quantcast
Official C8 Corvette Thread - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Official C8 Corvette Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he's trying to say that a Viper "base" was closer to a z06 or zr1. Without the more affordable base model, as is typical with domestics, to soak up some profit with big volume, the program isn't viable in the scheme of the Big 3 domestic biz models.

This really shouldn't be that hard to figure out. I don't know why Buster is interjecting so much on something he clearly doesn't know much about? Viper never made a low HP cheap variant of the car, every model came with the 645hp V10 and was a direct competitor to ZR1/Z06. Sure you could get an SRT trim that doesn't come with leather for a few grand less, but that is not even remotely on par to the Vette being available with a 400hp basic V8 which is affordable to the masses for like 25k less than the cheapest Viper. When the Viper is selling similar numbers to the the ZR1, but there is more total Vettes made in one year than an entire 25 year production of Vipers, it isn't hard to figure out where Chevy's profit comes from on the Vette. It comes from the volume of the cheap models, of which Viper never had a comparable to.

I was an elected official of the VOA Western Canada Region. I've been to the Viper factory. I've been to Chelsea proving grounds. I've met personally with the engineers that designed the car. I've owned 2 Vipers, and driven at least 10 of them. It's fair to say I probably have a little more insight on the car than someone who has read a few Road and Track articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxt View Post
    Viper was supported and marketed very poorly by Chrysler. Only certain dealers could sell vipers, they had to have a technician with specific training, and there was also the "viper tool kit" the dealer had to buy. When a viper was ordered, Chrysler would put a caveat on it that x amount of another model had to be sold to get the car. Chrysler didn't have any real advertising going, they had a few short lived tv commercials in the US.
    I experienced all the sales road blocks trying to buy mine. There are/were dealers out there in Calgary, with salespeople on the floor who don't know what a viper is. It took me the better part of a year of Saturday shopping to find a dealer that would do the work to get me the special edition car.
    And there's the other piece of the puzzle. The marketing was pathetic. People didn't even know the car existed, and half the people that did know about it, still had this screwed up stigma about the car that it handled poorly and was uncomfortable.

So back on topic. Anyone heard any more rumors on the Z06? I'm hearing that it will be twin turbo. That would be cool from factory. I'd be waiting to see if they solve the heat issues from the C7 though. I sure hope they come out with some sort of big Aero package. The looks of this car would benefit greatly from a big GT3 type wing and front splitter. Something like the Aero they put on the ACR Viper would suit this car really well.

So back on track and this will probably wste some people's time, the 2020 Corvette configurator - link.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Homerrca View Post

With this vehicle, are they trying to steal customers from Ferrari, Lamborghini or just trying to gain market share from the Mustangs, Challengers of the world.
    I think they're just trying to advance the performance of the car. They were close to tapped out on the previous chassis. At the end of the day the business plan is to sell cars, which means stealing potential customers of all other cars in the same category and cross platforms. But I doubt there is anybody at Chevy who is naïve enough to think they are going to be convincing many Ferrari owners to trade in for Corvettes.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I don't know WTF Dodge is doing, mostly just playing catchup.
    Yeah silly Dodge, giving people exactly what they want. Bunch of dummies.

My Ride
    *The First*

Viper was supported and marketed very poorly by Chrysler. Only certain dealers could sell vipers, they had to have a technician with specific training, and there was also the "viper tool kit" the dealer had to buy. When a viper was ordered, Chrysler would put a caveat on it that x amount of another model had to be sold to get the car. Chrysler didn't have any real advertising going, they had a few short lived tv commercials in the US.
    I experienced all the sales road blocks trying to buy mine. There are/were dealers out there in Calgary, with salespeople on the floor who don't know what a viper is. It took me the better part of a year of Saturday shopping to find a dealer that would do the work to get me the special edition car.
    But Nissan has done the exact same thing with the GTR. Is it also considered a flop? (Serious question).
    Back to the other point someone made about the Viper's 20+ year run... How is that really a flop?

But Nissan has done the exact same thing with the GTR. Is it also considered a flop? (Serious question).
    Back to the other point someone made about the Viper's 20+ year run... How is that really a flop?
    Referring to the fact it's been cancelled I'm guessing.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    Oops, I just realized you were ranting out how awesome Dodge is. Way to read the room Sugarphreak, haha.

I meant more in terms of the Charger and Challenger. Neither of them ever win the journalist comparison reviews, and it is getting to the point where they are not even being included anymore.
    Yeah it's an old platform now in the eyes of journalists, so not much to talk about anymore. But they fly off the shelves, so apparently consumers don't care much about what journalists say. People seem to like a big engine with big horsepower, shoe horned into a car with a lot of luxury. It's been working for Benz for years, it's no wonder it works for Dodge too. Interior wise Dodge is hands down leading the way for the big 3. My own personal preferences aside(oddly enough I never was ranting about Dodge being awesome?), I'd say it's a bit inaccurate to accuse Dodge of playing "Catch up".

I read Chevy is looking at milking the brand as much as possible with Corvette branded SUVs and Sedans.....that would be interesting.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Few things:
    @Maxt new car a Dart?

and, the new corvette has a big wing option. Check it in the configure tool.

I spec’d mind with 1LT, Z51, big wing, carbon flash painted trim and wing, exposed carbon targa, white or silver with red calipers and seatbelts.

Perhaps with GT2 seats.

I think ill be 82k with options and 88-90 OTD. Good value.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Rapid Blue
    CF targa Roof
    Trident Spoke Black Wheels/Z51 pack
    All CF exterior parts
    Spoiler
    Engine cover red
    3LT blue/black seats GT2 red seatbelts

All that for less than $100k? Pretty damn awesome.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Bit of a super man spec there haha
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Rapid Blue
    CF targa Roof
    Trident Spoke Black Wheels/Z51 pack
    All CF exterior parts
    Spoiler
    Engine cover red
    3LT blue/black seats GT2 red seatbelts

All that for less than $100k? Pretty damn awesome.
    That’s probably encroaching on the Z06 next year.

I do feel somewhat comfortable if I ordered first year because it would keep some value. I have no doubt it’ll be 3-5k more expensive for the model year 2021.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    something green

Nissan is known for Gir, Dodge was known for trucks, namely Cummins turbo diesels.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Few things:
    @Maxt new car a Dart?

and, the new corvette has a big wing option. Check it in the configure tool.

I spec’d mind with 1LT, Z51, big wing, carbon flash painted trim and wing, exposed carbon targa, white or silver with red calipers and seatbelts.

Perhaps with GT2 seats.

I think ill be 82k with options and 88-90 OTD. Good value.
    Although Plymouth is dead, new was out that dodge went and registered the 'cuda tag.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    *The First*

Nissan is known for Gir, Dodge was known for trucks, namely Cummins turbo diesels..
    Yes, I suppose that's a significant difference. Although, the GTR was never sold in North America prior to this one, was it?

My Ride
    something green

Yes, I suppose that's a significant difference. Although, the GTR was never sold in North America prior to this one, was it?
    Non but even solely as a jdm vehicle, the Legend of Godzilla was world wide.
    Too loud for Aspen

i've never been a corvette fan, but the C8 is just beautiful.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This really shouldn't be that hard to figure out. I don't know why Buster is interjecting so much on something he clearly doesn't know much about? Viper never made a low HP cheap variant of the car, every model came with the 645hp V10 and was a direct competitor to ZR1/Z06. Sure you could get an SRT trim that doesn't come with leather for a few grand less, but that is not even remotely on par to the Vette being available with a 400hp basic V8 which is affordable to the masses for like 25k less than the cheapest Viper. When the Viper is selling similar numbers to the the ZR1, but there is more total Vettes made in one year than an entire 25 year production of Vipers, it isn't hard to figure out where Chevy's profit comes from on the Vette. It comes from the volume of the cheap models, of which Viper never had a comparable to.

I was an elected official of the VOA Western Canada Region. I've been to the Viper factory. I've been to Chelsea proving grounds. I've met personally with the engineers that designed the car. I've owned 2 Vipers, and driven at least 10 of them. It's fair to say I probably have a little more insight on the car than someone who has read a few Road and Track articles.
    We can agree of course that the Viper didn't have a V8 model. But "base model" by convention is simply the least expensive of multiple versions. So the Viper had a "base model"...but that's just a matter of definition and who cares. GM could have put a V6 in the Vette and had a new "base model" but chose not to. The Vetter and the Viper were tackling different markets and had different purposes. The Vette has done this successfully because they know there is a large market for people who want something more than a mustang/camaro/370, but can't get into 100k plus territory. This is smart market positioning. The Viper's problem is that its pricing put it into territory with some tough competition. I like Vipers, but it suffers from the problem of "why buy a Viper for $XXX, when you could get this car over here for the same, or this car over here for a bit more." It sells in similar volumes to the Z06 for the same reasons: it's too compromised. Not enough comfort, not enough luxury, not enough brand cachet. The people with the money to buy them, who have other options without so many desirable pieces missing, are few and far between.

In this day an age where most people are only buying SUVs and trucks, ever-tightening emission standards, this has to be the greatest achievement and offering to all car enthusiasts today. The Corvette has officially joined the supercar status in looks and performance for a price I still cannot comprehend. I never considered a Corvette but I know performance per dollar has always been great. This is just so unbelievable for what you get at this price.

I can drive this all the time to enjoy the supercar looks and performance without all the unneeded attention. Driving a Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche/Mclaren etc will always be my dream but it screams "I'm wealthy bitches..." and this is perfect for those that want to be somewhat low-key. I don't need to wait till I'm in the 40s or 50s to afford and enjoy a supercar!

The new Supra got a little bit excited but this just blows EVERYTHING out of the water. You'd be crazy to buy anything else at this price. I don't believe the street will be flood with C8s as most people couldn't afford it, not allowed to buy it or don't have a space to park it. So no worries guys! Congratulations to those who will buy this and I will never get bored seeing this on the road.

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast