Quantcast
Hong Kong vs China 2019 - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong vs China 2019

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Military shows up.

Beijing: "It's all good, nothing to see here, regular practice stuff....lulz...."
    Ultracrepidarian

It would be not unheard of ask to "ask" for independence, but it does not come in a matter of decades - usually more like centuries.

If Britain wanted to, they could have easily have given Hong Kong "free reign" a solid decade before the handover. Of course that also means giving up a decade of rule and taxation under British rule. That China has only had a relatively short tenure as ruler, it seems unlikely they will get their request. The USA did not ask Britain for independence, they took it by extreme force. Hong Kong might have to prove they can stand on their own two feet (militarily speaking) before China will even consider letting them go. Britain for sure wasn't going to ever let Hong Kong be "free" its silly to think China would be any different.

Again: The way I see it, Hong Kong made the biggest mistake ever not protesting for freedom when under British rule. Now it will all just be shrugged off as a sibling fight as seen by the rest of the world.

I mean if China actually let Hong Kong go, what would stop the USA from invading a Nuke-less Hong Kong? Nothing, just like how the USA managed to make million men casualty warzones out of both Korea and Vietnam.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 08-31-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again: The way I see it, Hong Kong made the biggest mistake ever not protesting for freedom when under British rule. Now it will all just be shrugged off as a sibling fight as seen by the rest of the world.
    Part of the problem I see with that argument is, were HK able to rule themselves at the time..? Could they actually do it? The civic structure is based on the British system. Would they use the same system or draft their own..?

In other examples, other countries have been unable to take care of themselves after gaining independence from British rule(thats including the USA, it took a civil war to sort that out). I would not count Canada as the Queen is still the head of state. Unless im missing anything.

Geographically HK has to go with Chinese rule. It cannot be defended unless mainline China is invaded. Its for simple reason thats where the water comes from.
    All China has too is turn off the water supply. 7.5 million HK mainlanders wont be able to flush the toilet. HK will really be in deep shit then.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Part of the problem I see with that argument is, were HK able to rule themselves at the time..? Could they actually do it? The civic structure is based on the British system. Would they use the same system or draft their own..?

In other examples, other countries have been unable to take care of themselves after gaining independence from British rule(thats including the USA, it took a civil war to sort that out). I would not count Canada as the Queen is still the head of state. Unless im missing anything.

Geographically HK has to go with Chinese rule. It cannot be defended unless mainline China is invaded. Its for simple reason thats where the water comes from.
    All China has too is turn off the water supply. 7.5 million HK mainlanders wont be able to flush the toilet. HK will really be in deep shit then.
    The so called British system was actully developed in the 70s, ruled under British governor MacLehose, HK was a shit hole before that.

One can argue that the British were the ones that made Hong Kong to an extreme weakened state in the first place, a defeated state, through opiods. British being masters of drug dealing (at the time)

That the USA was weak for so long, and only gained strength as they expelled the British (and their punitive tax structure for vassal states) - may be telling. Although I do tend to believe its almost entirely based upon the reigning monarch of the time. Sometimes you get Victoria, sometimes you get Henry VIII.

I'm going to argue that China is actually doing slightly better than Hong Kong. Hong Kong has never had to spend a dime on military, which artificially makes it seem like an economic wonder. If you never have to worry about swords, you can concentrate on plows - but make no mistake, they will probably have to spend 3x as much as the USA per capita for at least a decade on military to ensure that they aren't run over by Persians, or Americans, or Aliens.

Last edited by ZenOps; 09-01-2019 at 09:23 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Correction, seawater is used to flush toilets. You just don't have drinking water. There is plenty of water around HK to flush.

New conspiracy theory. This was never about democracy. It's about Xi's people going after Jiang's people who has been mostly hiding in HK ever since Xi took over and go after previous corrupted officials.

Just lika Tienanmen, students are just pawns in an internal power struggle.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-03-2019 at 09:25 AM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Correction, seawater is used to flush toilets. You just don't have drinking water. There is plenty of water around HK to flush.

New conspiracy theory. This was never about democracy. It's about Xi's people going after Jiang's people who has been mostly hiding in HK ever since Xi took over and go after previous corrupted officials.

Just lika Tienanmen, students are just pawns in an internal power struggle.
    Dang. I stand corrected. I wonder how the plumbing system stands up to the corrosion.

I guess no drinking water or showers.

One can argue that the British were the ones that made Hong Kong to an extreme weakened state in the first place, a defeated state, through opiods. British being masters of drug dealing (at the time)
    State your case. Im intrigued to hear your argument.
    HK was not strong in the first place. It was the money laundering from the opium trade that built up the Kongo.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Dang. I stand corrected. I wonder how the plumbing system stands up to the corrosion.
    https://www.wsd.gov.hk/en/core-busin...ing/index.html

It's been using proper material to carry that since the 60s. But of course the last mile to your unit is being maintained by your condo management company which comes out of your condo fees. And I don't think there's anything to stop them from cheaping out.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-03-2019 at 11:00 AM.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Did anyone watch the video of the couple crying on the train as it fills with tear gas. I'm sorry, but talk about being overly dramatic, they're acting like the cops just shot them. I support that protesters but come on.... really

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    Did anyone watch the video of the couple crying on the train as it fills with tear gas. I'm sorry, but talk about being overly dramatic, they're acting like the cops just shot them. I support that protesters but come on.... really
    At least there's finally coverage of protesters launching gas bombs at the cops. The whole narrative has been HK police violence at this point when protestors have been triggering the reaction. The shit the protesters have been doing, HK police honestly have shown restraint using non lethal weapons. They would've been shot by now if this shit was in the US.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    At least there's finally coverage of protesters launching gas bombs at the cops. The whole narrative has been HK police violence at this point when protestors have been triggering the reaction. The shit the protesters have been doing, HK police honestly have shown restraint using non lethal weapons. They would've been shot by now if this shit was in the US.
    My brother said the exact same thing, the HK police have been doing an amazing job keeping their cool with all of this. Not just the US, i think anywhere else in the world there wouldve been protestors shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    My brother said the exact same thing, the HK police have been doing an amazing job keeping their cool with all of this. Not just the US, i think anywhere else in the world there wouldve been protestors shot.
    People who complained probably forgot the shit show we had in Canada during G20 in TO. Shit were way more violent.

The only thing I would fault HK police is they probably didn't plan/drill all these possible scenarios so it looks like they are all thinking on their feet most of the times and get into trouble/bad PR.

Hong Kong drama meter: 0.2 out of 100. They gotta learn from the French, they know how to protest.

Carrie Lam just withdraw the bill, HSI surged 4% instantly. I wonder how this will go after 1 of the 5 demands are being satisfied.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by bob9979 View Post
    Carrie Lam just withdraw the bill, HSI surged 4% instantly. I wonder how this will go after 1 of the 5 demands are being satisfied.
    Given 4 was the result of original issue, take it as a win and move on.

Chinese is about face. The could be the last carrot before beating starts.

My Ride
    a tank

well I sure hope things will have settled down by November since I am heading back with my entire family. The rumor of 3 people were killed from police brutality a day ago inside the MTR does not help one bit. I suspect the people want all the recent police violence investigated to the fullest measure and extent.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Was doing some reading last night, looks like the movement for the UK to retroactively give citizenship to all Hong Kong citizens born pre-1997 is gaining traction. If Brexit doesn't happen, that's having rights through the EU.

If that happens, thanks protesters!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Was doing some reading last night, looks like the movement for the UK to retroactively give citizenship to all Hong Kong citizens born pre-1997 is gaining traction. If Brexit doesn't happen, that's having rights through the EU.

Lol. They barely have a working government. Highly unlikely.

Also, China doesn't recognize dual citizenship and if you have HKID, they will process you as Chinese regardless what other nationality you may have. I don't even know if there is a process to renounce your HKID.

My cousin does have Portuguese passport and going into EU country is a breeze compares to US/Canada one. The BNO UK given HKer is one useless POS.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-05-2019 at 11:06 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Oh I only care about me. I would love to have UK citizenship and EU benefits haha.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Sweet. Me too. Summer trip to get our UK citizenship? Haha.

I'll read up on this a bit more but who started this movement?

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast