Quantcast
Hong Kong vs China 2019 - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong vs China 2019

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gotcha. Makes sense to me, and seem to be something that jurisdictions around the world could learn from.
    Yea, look how UCP's tax and spend cuts are looking in the public eye right now lol. People overreact to shit, share the hell out of the overreaction because everyone needs to be triggered to drive their agenda, and here we are.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Gotcha. Makes sense to me, and seem to be something that jurisdictions around the world could learn from.
    When you don't have to pay for military/defense.

Also, the the low tax scheme is also the reason the younger generation can't get into any meaningful housing and have nothing to lose but to join protests. HK gov's OPEX is based on land sale to developers. So it's artificially inflated since it's not in the interest of government to devalue land prices to provide more affordable housing.

Shanghai used to follow HK's scheme but even they have to switched to proper property taxes to keep city gov running.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-27-2019 at 02:19 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Also, the the low tax scheme is also the reason the younger generation can't get into any meaningful housing and have nothing to lose but to join protests. HK gov's OPEX is based on land sale to developers. So it's artificially inflated since it's not in the interest of government to devalue land prices to provide more affordable housing.

Shanghai used to follow HK's scheme but even they have to switched to proper property taxes to keep city gov running.
    Do you think part of the housing system is based on that? Come in young, work hard and make your money. Then get out? In turn the next wave of young ambitious hungry people come in, in turn they are a new batch businesses can sell to?
    I don't see HK as a place for old people retiring.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

WUT? HK's housing affordability problem is simply supply vs demand. Their Opex is funded 75% by business profit tax + income tax, with land sale being tiny. Land sale prices aren't controlled by the gov, it's auctioned off and bidding war by Chinese developers. The protests are about democracy, not housing prices.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Do you think part of the housing system is based on that? Come in young, work hard and make your money. Then get out? In turn the next wave of young ambitious hungry people come in, in turn they are a new batch businesses can sell to?
    In a way, HK is doing what Alberta is doing. Selling non-renewable asset and putting it into OPEX. How long an government can operate on this is anyone's guess. Government has already reject bids on a few plots because they got lowballed during the unrest which proved that under current system, they have 0 interest in keeping housing cost in check (but on the flip side, selling low probably will end up swallowed up by developer's profit anyway. Nothing will be passed to citizens).

And sure it made A LOT OF paper rich people when you are sitting on a $1.2M USD 600sqft apartments. It's kinda pointless if you can't uproot your family to a cheaper cost of living area/country tho.

You don't want to retire in HK poor, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    WUT? HK's housing affordability problem is simply supply vs demand. Their Opex is funded 75% by business profit tax + income tax, with land sale being tiny. Land sale prices aren't controlled by the gov, it's auctioned off and bidding war by Chinese developers. The protests are about democracy, not housing prices.
    It's one of the reason being thrown out as ingredients of unrest. 20 and 30 something can't afford houses and public housing could be a decade or more wait. Of course, this analysis is usually comes from pro-gov/china mouth pieces. All I know is all my nieces and nephews are being pushed hard to leave the area because there is no future even before the unrest. Cost of living is just way too high compared to average income. My only adult nephew in HK is 30 something and getting hitched next year but officially they are still "homeless".

House vs income ratio:

Calgary: 4:1
    HK: 49:1
    Shenzhen: 44:1

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-prices-are-de

It's still 27% which in turn subsidize low tax rates to attract business.

Again, it's no different than Alberta. O&G royalty is how we can afford not having PST and have lower income tax (depends on bracket) to other provinces.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-27-2019 at 03:06 PM.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    As long as you pay off your home ... Hong Kong is (was) great for retiring! I always dream to move back to HK ... and retire there .. not anymore after all the riot and terror attack last 6 month.. will see.
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    As long as you pay off your home ... Hong Kong is (was) great for retiring! I always dream to move back to HK ... and retire there .. not anymore after all the riot and terror attack last 6 month.. will see.
    I can't deal with their summer any more (Apr-Oct). And too damn far for a snowbird spot. But I definitely miss the food.

Well. I guess its on to the next area that needs to be freed. Free Hawaii!
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Improved security law coming, soon HK will be as safe as the mainland.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52759578
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Improved security law coming, soon HK will be as safe as the mainland.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52759578
    Its game over. I think I will accelerate my relocation plans
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone with property or investment in HK should have been working on an exit plan for a while. This highlights why.
    Wonder if this will drive up the price of real estate in Lower Mainland BC? Drive it up more I mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

when was the last time China wasn't a giant fuckup?

The 1600s?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Anyone with property or investment in HK should have been working on an exit plan for a while. This highlights why.
    Wonder if this will drive up the price of real estate in Lower Mainland BC? Drive it up more I mean.
    May have a bit of impact but I doubt it.

There are only 250k Canadians there that has the right to relocated back in short order out of 7M in HK. And I'm sure not all can afford GVA properties and may relocated to cheaper cities like Calgary.

As for new immigration, Canada has stopped many classes due to too many mainland Chinese applications. And post COVID and high unemployment, whatever limited way left (Halifax was one loophole) will probably be closed off too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    when was the last time China wasn't a giant fuckup?

The 1600s?
    China has always been a giant fuck up if you go by written history. If anything, the last decade was the least fucked up it has been in probably last 2 centuries.

My take:
    Given China is losing Taiwan and the Western countries are going after it for COVID, there are now talks that they will start to cut off international trade and start only deal with countries that's friendly to China.

Without international trade, HK's existence as-is IS pointless. There is no better time to wipe it out than right now while rest of the world are sucking on Chinese teats for PPEs to fight the pandemic.

The extreme right in China wants military action against Taiwan before 2020 ends as well as strategists say the window is closing as the COVID fight is normalizing/ending. But I believe it's all talks right now.

This is why a lot of Chinese businesses are relocating and leaving China to other international jurisdictions. Because they feel that as this new policy/war starts, they don't want to be caught in China.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-21-2020 at 11:35 AM.

My Ride
    ute

The number of countries that do not see China (accurately), as an outright bad actor are shrinking in number.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The number of countries that do not see China (accurately), as an outright bad actor are shrinking in number.
    Correct. But it got Russia and most of eastern Europe on its side now along with most banana republics.

Internally, it's a economic block the size of 2 USA.

So isolation policy may actually works in its favor. To some economists China's rise bailed the world out during the 2008 recession and it not participating in the world economy on this down turn will be an interesting experiment.

Again, this is all rumor right now. But the flight of a lot of Chinese business means that is some truths to it.

TLDR, Trump mishandling of the virus is handing the world to China.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-21-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Well this is terrifying. The quickest and least painful economic recovery would be reliant on returning to "business as usual" economic activity. Throw in a complete change in global economics and this can get very ugly very quickly. If China makes a move to become a competitor for top dog, not only would we have to figure out how to reshape our economies on the fly but would be competing for resources with China. They have a ruthless government with full control over basically everything that happens in their country and at least a workable partnership with Russia. We have Trump and Trudeau and whatever relationship exists with the EU depending on Trump.

Fuck

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    Well this is terrifying. The quickest and least painful economic recovery would be reliant on returning to "business as usual" economic activity. Throw in a complete change in global economics and this can get very ugly very quickly. If China makes a move to become a competitor for top dog, not only would we have to figure out how to reshape our economies on the fly but would be competing for resources with China. They have a ruthless government with full control over basically everything that happens in their country and at least a workable partnership with Russia. We have Trump and Trudeau and whatever relationship exists with the EU depending on Trump.

Fuck
    Yup. China has way longer views than democracies which is only working on 4-5 years election cycles.

If a lot of strategists within CCP thinks China taking all the toys and close it off and they think it can survive this recession much better with internal economy than the rest of the world, they will. Because there is no opposition forces internally to stop them. And there is no better time to execute that plan than right now.

The world has not done shit to Russia after Crimea. Europe mostly still live on Russian energy products. You think the world will do anything today if China decides to land troops in Taiwan?

Trump is the best thing ever happened to Putin and Xi.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-21-2020 at 12:11 PM.

My Ride
    ute

China thinks they can do what has been proven to not work time and time again: central planning.

Humans aren't built to flourish in the long term under central planning and totalitarianism - it isn't robust. The rest is just details.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

China thinks they can do what has been proven to not work time and time again: central planning.

Humans aren't built to flourish in the long term under central planning and totalitarianism - it isn't robust. The rest is just details.
    Is China really "centrally planned?"

If it is, it super loose with strong capitalistic tendencies.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Dynasties comes and goes. When Xi dies or removed, it'll become a different game.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Is China really "centrally planned?"

If it is, it super loose with strong capitalistic tendencies.
    This is what outsiders don't understand. It's more wild than wild west and CCP in Beijing doesn't know what's going on and only react with a heavy hand when someone fucks up on the ground level, like this COVID outbreak.

There are still internal forces and factions that is fighting each other and a lot of previous admin that took off with a lot of wealth are hiding in HK. Part of all the blow up in HK is Xi going after Zhang.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-21-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 ... LastLast