Quantcast
Your favourite highway car - no restrictions - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite highway car - no restrictions

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I was thinking paved roads only. But yeah if you are going ontonthe dirt industrial roads to remote locations Tha6s a different story.
    Maybe if you are going to smaller towns awd might matter, but I still say 2wd cars are fine on main highways once you have real winter tires.

Some great thoughts already. Glad the 6-6 has been mentioned.

I borrowed a Lexus IS350 recently and I didn't like the radar cruise. Maybe it's adjustable, but it was slowing down waaaay too early.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I love the RS7. Looking at buying one right now..

My Ride
    K-car

Daily'd from Calgary to Red deer for 7 months for work many years ago. Started out with a Hyundai Elantra to save fuel (truly an awful car) switched to a TDI VW that lasted all of 3 weeks before the t-belt failed (seller lied about the "recent" belt replacement) really liked that VW but didn't want to spend the coin to fix it. Ended up with a Buick Park Avenue with a supercharged V6. What an absolute geezer-mobile, bench seat, column shift, but man, that thing rode nice and miles ticked away like nothing. I also added a smaller s/c pulley and injectors/fuel pump and a zzp tune, the big boat would go pretty good and still returned amazing fuel economy (around 9-10L/100km). Above all it was totally stealth, nobody ever expected it to be as quick as it was.

Today, I like the Sierra Denali. Hard to beat a modern pickup for all around driving. Money no object I'd probably get a S-Class or big Bentley.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was thinking paved roads only. But yeah if you are going ontonthe dirt industrial roads to remote locations Tha6s a different story.
    Maybe if you are going to smaller towns awd might matter, but I still say 2wd cars are fine on main highways once you have real winter tires.

I borrowed a Lexus IS350 recently and I didn't like the radar cruise. Maybe it's adjustable, but it was slowing down waaaay too early.
    Pretty sure I could adjust the distance in mine. But either way it was terrible and I disable that radar cruise immediately. It just slows down as you approach a car, and don't realize you've slowed down! Next thing you know you look down and see you're doing 20km/h below your set cruise speed.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I haven’t really gotten on the autonomous driving band wagon. But after driving my wife’s Lexus with radar cruise to Osoyoos and back last week. It’s 100% the way to go. Feet on the floor just lazily steering.
    I do a ton of highway driving and the only thing I don't like about autonomous cruise is that it doesn't take into account the way people actually drive on the highway. The gaps most of the systems leave are big enough that two things happen:

1) People behind you think you are going slow, even though you are flawlessly pacing the car in front of you, and will tailgate/road rage wanting to pass
    2) The gap most of the systems leave at highway speed is multiple car lengths even on their "tightest" setting, so people are always moving in front of you, which makes your car hit the brakes until you get the right sized gap back, and then another person just moves in.

It's a bit better on single lane undivided highways where it's harder to pass, but depending on the highway it can be very annoying. The computer has a much better reaction time than a human, it should let you follow closer, but I get why they set them the way they do. It is ideal when you have nowhere to be and aren't in a hurry, and it doesn't matter if you slow down from 120 --> 80Km/h because there is a giant camper in front of you.

As for the OP question I think any of the big German sedans are hard to beat, especially the long wheelbase versions where rear passenger comfort is prioritized. I have been in a 760Li on the Autobahn and it was phenomenal - you feel like you are going 50 Km/h at 200+ Km/h. We do long trips to the field in SUV's and Trucks and they are not enjoyable at all IMHO.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-22-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Luxury SUV for me. Either a brand new Range Rover Sport or maybe a G Wagon if money was no object. Although i've never been in a G Wagon... i'm just assuming they ride pretty smooth but maybe not?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I use a 2010 Mazda 3 GT for work as a flat tow vehicle and it gets at least 50k a year (plus another 50k a year of towing mileage). Fairly comfy and reliable, goes fine with studded tires in the winter, I’ve never been stuck or stranded anywhere because of it and the chassis has at least 500k on it now.

My Ride
    *The First*

The proper Ferrari GT cars.
    456 Modificata, 612 Scaglietti, FF, GTC-4Lusso.

Buick Roadmaster Estate!

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I drove my Grandfather’s ‘72 Cadillac Eldorado for a summer.
    Now we're talkin'

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

Yea my wife hated it until I found the button to tighten the distance up. Was way better after that.

Measured it at a pretty consistent 2 seconds. Which is good for most people imo, unless you drive an Audi that is.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yea my wife hated it until I found the button to tighten the distance up. Was way better after that.

Measured it at a pretty consistent 2 seconds. Which is good for most people imo, unless you drive an Audi that is.
    or a Dodge Ram.

My Ride
    This and that.

Rolls Royce Wraith. Speaking of which it's been appealing to me a lot lately and I've been scoping them out 'non-seriously' - which is scary as fuck. Maybe it's just cause I am getting older.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I drove a new LS500 to Vancouver last year in April.

- the cruise control does not work in the rain very well (perfect roads only - LA winters)
    - the cruise systems works amazingly in steady, stop and go, traffic jams
    - the cruise system does not work in non-steady stop and go and a human is much better able to see 2-3 cars in front and assess when to start braking or accelerating.

- massage bum function is a must have for longer drives, really does make a noticeable difference

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I drove my Grandfather’s ‘72 Cadillac Eldorado for a summer...

LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Luxury SUV for me. Either a brand new Range Rover Sport or maybe a G Wagon if money was no object. Although i've never been in a G Wagon... i'm just assuming they ride pretty smooth but maybe not?

G wagon is terrible. Completely a baller status vehicle and nothing more. Heavy as a tank, ride like on, no cup holders even. My buddy lent me his for a week, I was pretty unimpressed. For that kind of money I would 100% be going for a RR over a G any day of the week.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Rolls Royce Wraith. Speaking of which it's been appealing to me a lot lately and I've been scoping them out 'non-seriously' - which is scary as fuck. Maybe it's just cause I am getting older.
    https://www.autotrader.ca/a/rolls-ro...=1_3_3&sprx=-2

Trade a condo for this !

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    That's actually 'cheaper' than I thought it would be lol. I saw a black on black that was dropped on Instagram and since then I love them. Don't like many other colour combos too much though. As much as I like it, I feel like I still gotta go the Mclaren or Lambo route before getting a RR. Unless I hit a multi million lottery or something...which is unlikely considering I don't play. lol

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    G wagon is terrible. Completely a baller status vehicle and nothing more. Heavy as a tank, ride like on, no cup holders even. My buddy lent me his for a week, I was pretty unimpressed. For that kind of money I would 100% be going for a RR over a G any day of the week.
    The new Gs are like night and day from the previous gen. Though not quite Range Rover smooth, they're definitely a legitimate alternative now, as opposed to being purely for flash like before.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Biggest issue with G is the two year wait list

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast