Quantcast
Your favourite highway car - no restrictions - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite highway car - no restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess there is different ways of interpreting or answering the OP's question. I would think we are factoring in things like fuel economy as on a long highway drive, there may be extended kms with no fuel stations or 87 octane only etc. Plus the wasted time filling up or waiting to fill.

I rented a 2022 Dodge Challenger RT in Florida, and it really impressed me on the highway in every category except fuel economy (shocking.) Averaged 17 L/100 on 87 octane and got a best of 14 L/100 driving like a Florida retiree. That put the HEMI Challenger firmly on my nope list as a highway car as it was just ridiculously bad on gas for a new vehicle.

The Challenger did check off a lot of other boxes such as the massive full sized trunk and powerful trunk shocks, real back seats with headroom for adult sized adults, comfortable sporty ride, quiet exhaust on regular mode, confident brakes and handling, excellent factory lights.
    The query was highway car though. Fuel mileage is basically a non thought, as every car is fine on the highway if you don't drive it like an asshole. And I don't know of any road in Alberta where you're going to drive for 4-5 hours and not see a gas station?

But if you're worried about Hemi fuel mileage, that takes the E63 and most other fun cars off the list too. Realistically though, anything with 300hp has more than enough jam to giddy up and pass other cars. My main concern over anything else would be just having ventilated seats. If I gotta spend 10 hours in the car, those a must.
    Last edited by Misterman; 01-03-2023 at 05:35 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

What ”Children of the Corn” route do you take that majority of gas stations only has 87 octane?

Ventilated seats + cooling/heated steering wheel ftw

Also most comfortable seats I’ve sat in for 10+ hours are Volvo seats

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    What ”Children of the Corn” route do you take that majority of gas stations only has 87 octane?

Take a drive through rural areas, parts of Montana etc. It's diesel and 87 octane. No fancy sports car gas.

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

I don't think I've seen a cooled steering wheel. That sounds very nice.

Volvo seats FTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    I don't think I've seen a cooled steering wheel. That sounds very nice.

Volvo seats FTW.
    I don't think a cooled steering wheel is a thing because there's no ventilation, but sweaty hands have always been an issue in any long-haul journey. Now that's an excellent highway feature to have.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I don't think a cooled steering wheel is a thing because there's no ventilation, but sweaty hands have always been an issue in any long-haul journey. Now that's an excellent highway feature to have.
    Auto steer fixed the sweaty hands issue.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Alcantara feels good on the hands. As long as you don’t use lotion….

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Alcantara feels good on the hands. As long as you don’t use lotion….
    It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thought the auto-drive on the F150 Platinum I was riding in this weekend looked good. Probably a lot less fatiguing to have those advanced driver assistance features.

Sorta related, but what "cheap" cars have those and would be good on the highway? Like a Camry I guess? Although that might be gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Thought the auto-drive on the F150 Platinum I was riding in this weekend looked good. Probably a lot less fatiguing to have those advanced driver assistance features.

Sorta related, but what "cheap" cars have those and would be good on the highway? Like a Camry I guess? Although that might be gross.
    I drove a 2023 Corolla with adaptive cruise, lane keep, auto braking etc from Ft Lauderdale to Key West on Sunday and I fucking hated it. It was a pain in the arse turning off all the safety crap every time the ignition was cycled, and if I forgot to do it, any time the auto braking sensed a car 100-200m in front of you at almost any speed above 20mph it would apply the brakes moderately harshly. My wife wasn’t a fan even and she isn’t a car person. Even with the smallest “gap” selected it was way too far away before the car freaked out and I kept getting cut up by Florida Man in his Altima going for the gap between my car and whatever I was following. The CVT felt very unsmooth and jerky with only 1900 miles on the car too. It’s a good thing it had CarPlay and was fuel efficient (44.3mpg hand calculated over 199.3 miles) because the car had literally nothing else going for it.

My Ride
    This and that.

I find adaptive cruise control super handy for the most part for highway drives. Loved that part on my GC and shitty that my RAM doesn't have that option.

But it's not a deal breaker for me if a vehicle doesn't have it as regular cruise control is good enough as well and sometimes depending on how infrequently I want to slow down on the highway, adaptive cruise control isn't always the best option.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 08-15-2023 at 09:07 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Oh weird I like those features in the corolla I rented last summer, but I was driving around rural nova scotia, so that's a pretty different environment.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I drove a 2023 Corolla with adaptive cruise, lane keep, auto braking etc from Ft Lauderdale to Key West on Sunday and I fucking hated it. It was a pain in the arse turning off all the safety crap every time the ignition was cycled, and if I forgot to do it, any time the auto braking sensed a car 100-200m in front of you at almost any speed above 20mph it would apply the brakes moderately harshly. My wife wasn’t a fan even and she isn’t a car person. Even with the smallest “gap” selected it was way too far away before the car freaked out and I kept getting cut up by Florida Man in his Altima going for the gap between my car and whatever I was following. The CVT felt very unsmooth and jerky with only 1900 miles on the car too. It’s a good thing it had CarPlay and was fuel efficient (44.3mpg hand calculated over 199.3 miles) because the car had literally nothing else going for it.
    Bro the real crime is doing that drive in a fuckin Corolla to being with. That 7 mile bridge and entire drive in general is so gorgeous that have a nicer car is a must. When the wife and I did it several years ago, I rented a Mustang GT Convertible and went top down the whole way. Haha.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    Bro the real crime is doing that drive in a fuckin Corolla to being with. That 7 mile bridge and entire drive in general is so gorgeous that have a nicer car is a must. When the wife and I did it several years ago, I rented a Mustang GT Convertible and went top down the whole way. Haha.
    I’m taking a Mustang Convertible for the drive back to Orlando Thursday. I also had a Mustang for the drive from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale a couple weeks ago. When I was 11 we came down here and my dad had an Eclipse convertible for the drive, I remember the back seat of that thing being miserable lmao.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I’m taking a Mustang Convertible for the drive back to Orlando Thursday. I also had a Mustang for the drive from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale a couple weeks ago. When I was 11 we came down here and my dad had an Eclipse convertible for the drive, I remember the back seat of that thing being miserable lmao.
    Anecdotal story - rented a Mustang Convertible when I was in Dallas for work ~2014ish and agree with your assessment; it was awful for backseat passengers. Just raped and pillaged by wind the entire time. Also renting a Mustang 'vert later this year for a trip - gonna see if it's as bad as I remember.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    Anecdotal story - rented a Mustang Convertible when I was in Dallas for work ~2014ish and agree with your assessment; it was awful for backseat passengers. Just raped and pillaged by wind the entire time. Also renting a Mustang 'vert later this year for a trip - gonna see if it's as bad as I remember.
    The first one I had a few weeks ago had the fakest engine noise ever, I thought it was a 5L at first until I saw a boost gauge and realized it was an Ecoboost. The passenger rear window also refused to go up after putting the roof up and I had to force it with my hand. Car only had 12000 miles on it. It did get 30mpg from Orlando to Ft Lauderdale at least.

My Ride
    This and that.

Yea you gotta do GT and for verts never sit in the back and in the front, have the windows up for highways. Then it's tolerable but as a matter of thing that gets rarely done, I can deal with the hassle once in a while.

Funny story, coming back from Key West, I was ripping it pretty hard (there was a challenger that was also going at it) and I am estimating 110mph or something like that. Turns out it was an undercover cop and pulled me over. Luckily he was nice enough and saw I had a Canadian license and said I was late for the cruise so trying to get there in time (bs as cruise was next day), he let us go. He said, 'you are lucky that I am off shift and don't want to deal with the paperwork but otherwise it'd be a mandatory court appearance for the speeds you are going at. But regardless of the speed I can see that you know what you were doing behind the wheel and not putting anyone else in danger so I am going to let you go but slow down.'

Drove 10 over the speed limit all the way after that. Haha.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 08-15-2023 at 12:29 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

$75 Mustang Ferda.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Was thinking more about the "Advanced Driver Assist" features, and seems that Ford really restricts which models have it, F150, Lightning Navigator, and Mach-E only? Brutal. That system gets really good reviews, but sucks you can't get it in more models.

Hyundai/Kia have it in more models, same with Toyota it seems. Would be handy as hell for anyone doing a lot of highway driving.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Was thinking more about the "Advanced Driver Assist" features, and seems that Ford really restricts which models have it, F150, Lightning Navigator, and Mach-E only? Brutal. That system gets really good reviews, but sucks you can't get it in more models.

Hyundai/Kia have it in more models, same with Toyota it seems. Would be handy as hell for anyone doing a lot of highway driving.
    Toyota has it in everything but it’s not great especially in this season of dirty roads. Tried to run me into the car next to me on the way to Edmonton this weekend haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast