Quantcast
Your favourite highway car - no restrictions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite highway car - no restrictions

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Your favourite highway car - no restrictions

So this isn't a "what car should ExtraSlow buy" thread. But the other day I was driving to Edmonton for work, and I realized that there are lots of people who make that drive, or similar long highway drives, many times a week. Having the "right" vehicle makes a big difference to how tired you are when you arrive. If you have a tiny noisy econobox, you will arrive with your ears ringing. If you have a "real" sports car, your back will be hurting from the rough shape our highways are in. You need something with a little bit of passing power to get around the grannies and farmers. I personally find pickup trucks and truck-based SUV's to be really comfortable for long drives because they fit my body and you have good visibility. Large sedans/wagons are good too. I imagine a Merc E or S series is amazing for this purpose. I've never owned one.

So, if you had to drive 10+ hours on Alberta highways every week in all weather conditions, what's your choice and why? Can be a practical option, or a little more wild. New, Used, whatever. Just looking to have a fun discussion.

My Ride
    V167

Jetta TDI. - 1.9 ALH powered. aka my old cars.

Torque. Can easily zip in and out of spots. All that power at 1900 rpm makes for easy passing.
    Comfort = heated seats, good lumbar support, leather, excellent stereo. Loved the cockpit.
    Fuel = 1400+km on a highway tank.
    Storage = plenty.

For 4 years of my training I drove my Jetta back and forth across Canada and the USA from site to site every month. The car never let me down. Ultimate highway car IMO (practical choice).

re: S-Class, comfortable, but too big IMO. Gas guzzler.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Since this is "not restrictions", I'm going to look at this as a "money no object" exercise...

My first thought was a big, GT coupe - Bentley GT, MB S-Class, RR Wraith, something like that with lots of comfort and lots of power.

But if you're adding the stipulation of 10+ hours every week on Alberta highways, I think a big luxury SUV might fit the bill even better. When I think of lots and lots of Alberta highway driving, I think of a lot of time spent on the #2, both north and south of Calgary, with some secondary highways mixed in. There won't be a lot of curves, so "handling" isn't a big enough priority to warrant a sports car, and with the number of trucks, SUVs and semis that will otherwise be on the road, you might as well be at their level...

In that case, and purely from the perspective of "best tool for the job of keeping me comfy / safe / happyi, I'd probably go for a similar selection of the SUV versions - Bentayga, GLS63, or even a Cullinan
    Last edited by you&me; 07-22-2019 at 11:48 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Best highway car in my current fleet is our 2012 Honda Odyssey. Pretty decent power, and it's so heavy it feels the same at 135 as it does at 90. Not "great" comfort, but pretty decent. Don't love the ergonomics. Okay fuel economy, okay noise level.
    My 3/4 ton truck is very rough and the savage Honda fit has too much road noise.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:26 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

I'd probably pick up a new navigator. For a car I'd go with an s65
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 07-22-2019 at 12:08 PM.

My Ride
    Cayman

I would go with a nice F-150 and only because I find it super comfortable and I do a fair bit of highway driving.

If I could afford to have a nice SUV for comfort sake I would go with the gas guzzling Lexus LX570

My Ride
    Bicycle

Just got off a rental Impala. Surprisingly it averages 7l/100 on highway off its 3.6L V6. Big/Floaty/Comfortable, not that maneuverable but great on highways. I would assume Malibu would be the same.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

No limits... a bespoke luxury van/bus with driver. Wtf drive when you can sip on exotic wines and spirits in the comfort of a luxury living room?

Realistically? Cause let’s be honest... if you had no limits you wouldn’t be driving to Edmonton... ever

Lexus LS, they will sit on cruise at 160kms/h like they’re doing 80... sip fuel up there too unlike the suv/trucks... super under the radar too. Takes quiet to the next level... and unlike the 7 or s competitors. It won’t spend half the time in the shop if you’re racking up those kind of kms. Has every single hwy safety system you need to also zone out completely

Edit: oh! And how can I forget the most important hwy feature... heated jade roller massage seats. Keep that blood circulating
    Last edited by ercchry; 07-22-2019 at 12:14 PM.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Porsche Panamera would be great for devouring highway miles.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

For me it was the BMW E90 sedans I've had. They feel great at high speeds, the faster I went the more at home they felt, the steering, how planted they were and with thigh extenders in the seats were super comfortable.

A reasonable choice as far as purchase price goes, an SRT8 charger or Grand Cherokee seems the obvious choice. Number one, it is one of the most comfortable vehicles you will ever sit in. Two, it has plenty of passing power. Three, the stereo is great if you get the high performance audio.

On the other end of the spectrum, no price too high. Beats me? There isn't anything super expensive that would be much better functionally than cheaper options for just cruising around on shitty Alberta roads. You could say Porsche Cayenne, Range Rover, or Mercedes GLE just because they look nice and have air ride suspension.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Accord 6-6

My Ride
    Trucks

I drove my Grandfather’s ‘72 Cadillac Eldorado for a summer. I’m sure you could run over a few cars in this thread with one without spilling your drink. Something about plush seats that you sink 12” into and watching the front end moving sideways when you turn a corner. (Literally the same sensation as a boat on calm water). The 7.0L + sized engine that is dead quiet was also entertaining. (Can only reach half the engine bay from the front.)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

S63 AMG Coupe.

Easily my choice for a money no object DD. Highway or City.

New M8 Comp could be interesting too.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So this isn't a "what car should ExtraSlow buy" thread. But the other day I was driving to Edmonton for work, and I realized that there are lots of people who make that drive, or similar long highway drives, many times a week. Having the "right" vehicle makes a big difference to how tired you are when you arrive. If you have a tiny noisy econobox, you will arrive with your ears ringing. If you have a "real" sports car, your back will be hurting from the rough shape our highways are in. You need something with a little bit of passing power to get around the grannies and farmers. I personally find pickup trucks and truck-based SUV's to be really comfortable for long drives because they fit my body and you have good visibility. Large sedans/wagons are good too. I imagine a Merc E or S series is amazing for this purpose. I've never owned one.

So, if you had to drive 10+ hours on Alberta highways every week in all weather conditions, what's your choice and why? Can be a practical option, or a little more wild. New, Used, whatever. Just looking to have a fun discussion.
    I've done 12 hour+ drives straight multiple times in Alberta in a Fit, Jeep Wrangler, Ford Escape, 4Runner (4th & 5th gen), Focus RS.. lol.

They all had their advantages/disadvantages, whether it's fuel economy, fun factor, passing capability, abilities in heavy rain/snow/ice storms.
    If I had to choose one for all weather conditions, it would be a Lexus GX. Comfy and luxurious for long durations, enough power to pass (V8), and comfortable to drive in any storm and have enough ground clearance.

2 dr Jeep on ice was interesting. Did a 900° spin on the highway when it was really icey out. Fell in a snowbank once but Jeep, so it crawled its way out no issues.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 07-22-2019 at 12:34 PM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

F150 or any 1/2 ton.

They’re just that good these days.

Car, new civic hatch would work well. I’ve done 5+ hours in my Type R, and room was excellent, seats a little tight at the end.

A normal sport hatch would work well.

And unrealistically, some big ass Benz or BMW.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

By 'highways' you mean some rural dirt roads as well? In that case a truck is what you are after.

Winter does demand that you get at least some kind of winter tire - although i know plenty of land surveyors in the bush who dont and I've seen many spun out trucks as a result.

When you are caught in a blizzards aftermath in Athabasca for eg, that 2ft of powder on the hotel parking lot will remind you why you got a 4x4 truck.

The Fords seem to do quite well - F350 perhaps? (gas, not diesel if you arent hauling anything).

My Ride
    ute

Diesel MB GLS. Of all of the vehicle I've ever owned that was the best highway vehicle. Comfy, elevated, handled well, good visibility. Just churned along at low diesel RPM And rarely shifted. New ones with autonomous driving and smart cruise, etc would be even better.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I haven’t really gotten on the autonomous driving band wagon. But after driving my wife’s Lexus with radar cruise to Osoyoos and back last week. It’s 100% the way to go. Feet on the floor just lazily steering.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast