Quantcast
3D crosswalks - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: 3D crosswalks

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Signs reads: Beaumont, now a city, so suck it Nisku!

My Ride
    This and that.

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I heard they changed their welcome sign to: "Now a booming metropolis!"
    This would be funny if true.

I haven't been out there in several years it feels like. I had a trial in Camrose yesterday and on the way back almost turned towards Beaumont just to drive through but ultimately decided not to. I do think a trip through is due at some point just to see how it's coming up. A lot of friends have been investing into real estate there and that's something that I might explore down the line if worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If your problem is people not paying attention, I doubt that changing the right-of-way laws will solve it.
    Well for the most part, I'd say the reason people blindly walk into the street, is exactly because they think peds always have right of way. If the script is flipped, and their risk of being hit by a car quadruples, they might start to think twice.

And at least if they are still stupid enough to walk into the street, the law won't be on their side if they get creamed.

My Ride
    Ford

Beaumont also has Stop sign Photo radar. Videos you and if you came to a complete stop and how long you were stopped for. work found out the hard way about stop sign photo radar when we got like 10 in the first week it was implemented,
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Is there anything in the highway act about length of time stopped? Or are they local bylaws?

Quote Originally Posted by blairtruck View Post
    Beaumont also has Stop sign Photo radar. Videos you and if you came to a complete stop and how long you were stopped for. work found out the hard way about stop sign photo radar when we got like 10 in the first week it was implemented,
    Rolling stops are now automated revenue generators? Let's hope that the CoC doesn't catch wind of this.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Is there anything in the highway act about length of time stopped? Or are they local bylaws?
    The traffic act says you have to stop at a stop sign, and gives the distance you have to be from the line or intersecting roadway. There is no time required to stop. It defines a stop as a complete cessation of movement.

I looked into this a lot of years ago. AFAIK, this 3 second stop myth has always been, and still is just that, a myth. I'm fairly certain that municipalities cannot just create new rules that circumvent the traffic act.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Rolling stops are now automated revenue generators? Let's hope that the CoC doesn't catch wind of this.
    It's not just rolling stops. It is stops that they deem don't constitute some specific length of time. They know that most people won't go fight it since court is only open when people are at work.
    Last edited by Misterman; 07-31-2019 at 06:47 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    It makes no sense at all to me to give pedestrians right of way as in most cases (outside of controlled crossing areas with lights) what it does is inconvenience the masses for the sake of what is usually just one person, and it should be the reverse IMHO. Many other countries have it right and it works. We have crosswalks here where dozens of cars across multi-lane roads have to stop for one person to cross - that person should have to walk to the nearest overpass or controlled crossing rather than have dozens of cars come to a halt. Just my opinion anyway.
    This. How many times are there 10 cars waiting to turn right, and then a pedestrian has right-of-way when they run out with the ticker going at 2 seconds left.

Well the first one isn't going to be Beaumont's because they haven't approved it yet.

So the first one will be at Deerfoot City, the start of it is happening this afternoon by Buffet Yangtze...

Name:  20190730_142913.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  33.5 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

Not my picture but one of the painters at Deerfoot City standing on the final product...

Name:  dz0NUfs_d.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  2.8 KB
    Will fuck off, again.

I think people totally underestimate potential lawsuits. Pedestrian tends to always win in court if he/she has the ability to speak.

Does anyone remember the Samsung exploding battery? The chances were literally less than one in a million that it would happen, and even less that it would directly result in a fatality, and yet they took a $3 Billion loss (possibly more) just so that they would not get sued. Nowadays, its not really about "making" money - as much as it is not being sued. With that said, you do not want to hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk under any circumstances. The $5 you might have made saving one minute of time, is simply not worth it.

Corporations know the score, that's how they become near trillion dollar corporations. Individuals tend to make huge mistakes when it comes to risk/reward and potential absolute loss (financially, or otherwise) As always, just opinion.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 07-30-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

i don't see how 3D sidewalks would work in Alberta anyways, everyone in their lifted trucks will take one look and think " Fuck yea she'll go "
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Beyond, land of old men fucking resistant to change.
    Will fuck off, again.

Time for some crosswalk nightmare stories, and why you might want to go for the fatality depending on country.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

They painted one like this at the school near my house. It looks pretty bad. Maybe it's not done, but it sure doesn't look 3-D from any angle I've seen. It looks more like they painted a grey crosswalk and then came back and painted a white one over top of it. There's no need to worry about people slamming on the brakes, so you can ease those fears.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3