Quantcast
3D crosswalks - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3D crosswalks

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paint these crosswalks in Richmond, BC. Grab popcorn and enjoy.
    If real 3D object ain't stopping them, fake ones won't.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    In what way? If the first car slows down and stops because of different point on the road, how would that prevent the second car from stopping?
    At first glance it looks like a physical obstruction, if someone comes up on one of those unexpectedly, their instinct would be to slam the brakes while they process what it is. Same reason I have personally witnessed several rear-end accidents at speed-on-green camera intersections - people realize late, slam the brakes, person behind does not expect it in otherwise free flowing traffic.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Pretty useless 6 months of the year in our climate.
    6 months? You mean 11, because they always re-paint a month before the snow falls, then it's 1/2 faded after the snow melts, which makes the visual effect useless the entire summer.

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

Here's a thought, instead of spending money on something like this, why not teach pedestrians that they do not have the right of way at crosswalks regardless of whether they are supposed to be crossing or not. This way they can make sure there are no cars coming. The amount of people I witness with headphones in their ears and a hoodie over their head just go at the crosswalk without even looking if there is any cars coming is ridiculous, and then they are surprised that they get hit.

If they get hit they should get an ass kicking on top of it for not even checking if it was safe to cross.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by triplep View Post
    Here's a thought, instead of spending money on something like this, why not teach pedestrians that they do not have the right of way at crosswalks regardless of whether they are supposed to be crossing or not. This way they can make sure there are no cars coming. The amount of people I witness with headphones in their ears and a hoodie over their head just go at the crosswalk without even looking if there is any cars coming is ridiculous, and then they are surprised that they get hit.

If they get hit they should get an ass kicking on top of it for not even checking if it was safe to cross.
    Um technically they do have right of way - its just that they dont have right of WEIGHT.... not all vehicles can stop that quick and not all drivers are 100% attentive.

Ped loses if they refuse to pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Um technically they do have right of way - its just that they dont have right of WEIGHT.... not all vehicles can stop that quick and not all drivers are 100% attentive.

Ped loses if they refuse to pay attention.
    I think he means we should make it so they don't have right away, like most other countries - that way people actually pay attention because there is no blind universal expectation for cars to stop for them. The consequences are obviously the same if you get hit, but people would actually pay attention and there would be fewer disruptions to traffic flow if they knew it was 100% their responsibility to not get hit.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Beaumont can lick my taint....They can stuff their Jambon Avec Fromage Subway 12" straight in their le pooper!

I would go out there, from Edmonton, for brunch at Chartier. Apparently the chef changed and it's bad now. Now zero reason to go to there, that is unless you would like to attend the one of 800 churches this place has.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

I would go out there, from Edmonton, for brunch at Chartier. Apparently the chef changed and it's bad now. Now zero reason to go to there, that is unless you would like to attend the one of 800 churches this place has.

Now the only reason to go is for the swinger orgies.

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    And flashing lights at a crosswalk are about the most effective thing you can do. I wonder how much these 3d walks are in comparison to just slapping up some lights like every other city in the world is doing?
    $30-$90k for Pedestrian lights in Calgary. Beaumont may be cheaper but I'd say it's still insanely more expensive than $600-$1000 for paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I think he means we should make it so they don't have right away, like most other countries - that way people actually pay attention because there is no blind universal expectation for cars to stop for them. The consequences are obviously the same if you get hit, but people would actually pay attention and there would be fewer disruptions to traffic flow if they knew it was 100% their responsibility to not get hit.
    I think he means it doesn't matter if it was your right of way cause a pedestrian vs car accident always ends up with the pedestrian dead or in the hospital regardless who had the right of way. I go with rules of the sea and always lookout for anything that can turn me into a stat.

Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post
    $30-$90k for Pedestrian lights in Calgary. Beaumont may be cheaper but I'd say it's still insanely more expensive than $600-$1000 for paint.
    I'm guessing it's more than 1000$ to pay 4 guys hourly wage, benefits, insurance, vacation pay, pension. Truck. Paint. etc. At least once a year for the life of the crosswalk.

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

Quote Originally Posted by botox View Post
    I think he means it doesn't matter if it was your right of way cause a pedestrian vs car accident always ends up with the pedestrian dead or in the hospital regardless who had the right of way. I go with rules of the sea and always lookout for anything that can turn me into a stat.
    No Mitsu3000gt has it right, it should be made so that pedestrians don't have right of way, this way they need to stop and check to make sure it is safe to cross. Obviously common courtesy should prevail, so if you see someone waiting at a crosswalk with no lights, you should stop and let them cross. But as the pedestrian, the onus will be on you to ensure it was safe to cross and not expect everyone to stop for you because you aren't paying attention.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by triplep View Post
    No Mitsu3000gt has it right, it should be made so that pedestrians don't have right of way, this way they need to stop and check to make sure it is safe to cross. Obviously common courtesy should prevail, so if you see someone waiting at a crosswalk with no lights, you should stop and let them cross. But as the pedestrian, the onus will be on you to ensure it was safe to cross and not expect everyone to stop for you because you aren't paying attention.
    One can dream.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If your problem is people not paying attention, I doubt that changing the right-of-way laws will solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If your problem is people not paying attention, I doubt that changing the right-of-way laws will solve it.
    It wouldn't work as well here now that people are already so conditioned to think that vehicles will automatically stop for them no matter what, but in most other countries where pedestrians have never had the right of way, it works very well. Knowing that a driver has no obligation to stop for you when you enter the street is a pretty good deterrent. It makes no sense at all to me to give pedestrians right of way as in most cases (outside of controlled crossing areas with lights) what it does is inconvenience the masses for the sake of what is usually just one person, and it should be the reverse IMHO. Many other countries have it right and it works. We have crosswalks here where dozens of cars across multi-lane roads have to stop for one person to cross - that person should have to walk to the nearest overpass or controlled crossing rather than have dozens of cars come to a halt. Just my opinion anyway.

I honestly think there would be far fewer incidents if pedestrians did not have the right of way, because it transfers the bulk of the responsibility back onto them for their own safety (which should always be the case but doesn't seem to be in practice, at least here).

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Whew, lot of Beaumont hate haha. Chartier is still good, but every once and a while I come across a dish I don't like. I chalk that up to it not being my taste, but I think it's still well executed. It is true that there isn't much to attract visitors from outside the town.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think a lot of you guys are giving the local government way to much credit that they will remember to repaint it in a year
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    This and that.

I think of Beaumont being a city at the same level as Mt. Royal or Grant Mac being 'universities'. It's fucking farcical.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    I think of Beaumont being a city at the same level as Mt. Royal or Grant Mac being 'universities'. It's fucking farcical.
    Agreed. I still refer to it as a town. There must be some reason that council/mayor did it. Likely something to do with money somewhere, but there's no way Beaumont should be considered a city.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    How long before someone is driving along, notices this at the last moment, is freaked out and slams on the brakes causing an accident? I can't support this.
    This was my first thought. It will cause more issues than it solves.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Quote Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
    Agreed. I still refer to it as a town. There must be some reason that council/mayor did it. Likely something to do with money somewhere, but there's no way Beaumont should be considered a city.
    I heard they changed their welcome sign to: "Now a booming metropolis!"
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast