Quantcast
Upgrade to new phone? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Upgrade to new phone?

Default Upgrade to new phone?

Hi all,
    My Iphone 6s is going on 3.5 years now and the battery is starting to die on me. I am clueless on new phones/technology etc. I’m thinking of upgrading the phone (buying outright as I’m on fido $50/6gb) but then again the only thing I do with the phone is texting/browsing/emails. So with that in mind:

1. Do I just get a new battery? I’ve heard going oem is the preferable route? Is this thing going to be painfully outdated in a year? I have to have newest ios for work email/integration and every time I update it seems to take a step back.
    2. New phone? I’m biased towards iphones as I find them easy to use and do not want to relearn a new os. From what I can tell I should get an xR because it appears to be the best value proposition (ie. an 8 is only $250 cheaper…). Any deals to be had on something like this? Do I just buy direct from apple?
    3. Do I trade in my old phone for $180? It’s in great shape, but the battery is gone as previously mentioned.

Anything else I’m missing? Thanks!

I wouldn't waste my money replacing the battery on the 6s

Trade in your 6s for an XR and call it a day. The XR is way better value than the flag ship models. The 8 is a decent phone but for an extra $250 you get something 2 years newer and delay your next turnaround on a phone by quite a bit. The XR has a few nice perks over the 8 that are convenient for day to day usage as well.

My Ride
    LNF

If you are not in a rush.. I would wait it out until end of august for the back to school smart phone deals. Always lots of good plans and phone deals through koodo and wow mobile. Probably easily get 300-500 off of the price of a Xr.

My Ride
    This and that.

^As Colin said. Get the latest available version, especially if you tend to keep your phones for a long time as it appears to be the case. XR or XS or XS Max would be your options.

Its always an option. I'm replacing a 4650 mah battery on a Phablet, cost of battery being $26 shipped. If you aren't afraid of cracking them open, even if you don't use it - its nice to have a functional backup (keep battery at 40% and store in a cool dry place, with a fire break against flammable materials)

Apple is of course different, as it tends to be expensive to start with and has some resale value.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Wait until September - then either get the successor to the XR, or pick up a higher end 2018 model after the 2019 models are released for cheap based on which is the better value at the time.

My Ride
    LNF

Freedom has a great deal on the XR right now.. 18 gb and a 0$ phone.. 24 month contract

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/shaw/f...ne+Resource%29