Quantcast
Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2019-2020 Edition - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 589

Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2019-2020 Edition

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Calgary Alberta
    My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive
    Posts
    1,974
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    It's going to be absolutely based when the Flames fire Bill Peters on Black Friday.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Protege 5 Turbo / Ecoboost FX4
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah saying the N-word and abusing players is not acceptable.

    I understand what you are saying, I grew up playing sports and it is a whole different world but the GOOD coaches understand what athletes can handle the tougher love and what players need other types of motivation. The player coming out with the allegations from Carolina show that Peters did not understand that.

    That isn't for you to decide. Unless you are black you can't assume what is worse or what outrage is warranted.
    You admit above that you’re “brown” and not black. By your own logic you have no right to assume what fake “outrage” is warranted. Make up your mind, which is it?

    What he did was distasteful, but nothing beyond the realm of what happens in competitive team sports every day. Aliu sucked, he was going back to the minors regardless of what Peters said. Not only was he a mediocre player, he was a locker room
    Drama queen according to his former teammates. This whole thing is just another scapegoat for someone’s hurt feelings from
    10 years ago.
    ...

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Something Swedish
    Posts
    240
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The whole thing with Aliu is rather dumb. Firstly, the adult thing to do in a professional environment is to go to the person who wronged you to discuss the issue. If that doesn't work, you go to their boss. And so on, up the chain. The absolute last resort is to pull a snowflake and go to social media for mob "justice." Instead, that is the first thing Aliu does.

    Secondly, Peters said he apologized back then. So, what does Aliu want or expect? This should have been a non-issue.

    Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, is there a consistent pattern of racism on the part of Peters or was this a one-off thing when he lost his temper? What other players before or since, on the same team as Aliu or other teams, have had Peters use racial slurs against them? To have a man possibly lose his job because of a racial slur he used ten years ago, and apologized promptly for, is beyond ridiculous.

    As to the physical abuse allegations, again, has this been a consistent pattern or was this something rather short-lived?

    People can and do change, so bringing things up from long ago, especially when at least some of it was dealt with, says more about the person bringing it up than about the other.

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    F10M/ F87/ NA2/ W220/ VOLVO V90/KTM RC390
    Posts
    5,717
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The whole thing with Aliu is rather dumb. Firstly, the adult thing to do in a professional environment is to go to the person who wronged you to discuss the issue. If that doesn't work, you go to their boss. And so on, up the chain. The absolute last resort is to pull a snowflake and go to social media for mob "justice." Instead, that is the first thing Aliu does.

    Secondly, Peters said he apologized back then. So, what does Aliu want or expect? This should have been a non-issue.

    Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, is there a consistent pattern of racism on the part of Peters or was this a one-off thing when he lost his temper? What other players before or since, on the same team as Aliu or other teams, have had Peters use racial slurs against them? To have a man possibly lose his job because of a racial slur he used ten years ago, and apologized promptly for, is beyond ridiculous.

    As to the physical abuse allegations, again, has this been a consistent pattern or was this something rather short-lived?

    People can and do change, so bringing things up from long ago, especially when at least some of it was dealt with, says more about the person bringing it up than about the other.
    This!

    I always find it stupid that people bring up events years ago. An example i use all the time is the movie Tropic Thunder. It'll never fly in 2019, but do we go back and shoot the producers/writers for making the movie? i hope not...

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,653
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    .
    Last edited by 01RedDX; 05-06-2020 at 12:48 PM.

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Something Swedish
    Posts
    240
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Looks like Peters is out. Was there really any doubt? Social media snowflakery mob justice wins again, all because Aliu couldn’t put his big-boy pants on.

    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/bi...port-1.4708333

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Protege 5 Turbo / Ecoboost FX4
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like Peters is out. Was there really any doubt? Social media snowflakery mob justice wins again, all because Aliu couldn’t put his big-boy pants on.

    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/bi...port-1.4708333
    This. Fucken disgusting how this was handled. Snowflake society wins again!
    ...

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,137
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Fucking n----r Friday. - Bill Peters probably
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  9. #149
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ford, Acura, my wife's nerves
    Posts
    1,848
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The whole thing with Aliu is rather dumb. Firstly, the adult thing to do in a professional environment is to go to the person who wronged you to discuss the issue. If that doesn't work, you go to their boss. And so on, up the chain. The absolute last resort is to pull a snowflake and go to social media for mob "justice." Instead, that is the first thing Aliu does.

    Secondly, Peters said he apologized back then. So, what does Aliu want or expect? This should have been a non-issue.

    Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, is there a consistent pattern of racism on the part of Peters or was this a one-off thing when he lost his temper? What other players before or since, on the same team as Aliu or other teams, have had Peters use racial slurs against them? To have a man possibly lose his job because of a racial slur he used ten years ago, and apologized promptly for, is beyond ridiculous.

    As to the physical abuse allegations, again, has this been a consistent pattern or was this something rather short-lived?

    People can and do change, so bringing things up from long ago, especially when at least some of it was dealt with, says more about the person bringing it up than about the other.
    QFT but its not like it matters, we're all racist for thinking this. With him being fired it proves that mob mentality and snowflakes like iBeast just need to make enough noise and anything someone has ever done in their whole life can bury them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which one has best efficacy at enlarging my dank?

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This!

    I always find it stupid that people bring up events years ago. An example i use all the time is the movie Tropic Thunder. It'll never fly in 2019, but do we go back and shoot the producers/writers for making the movie? i hope not...
    Except in Tropic Thunder it was a satire on the lengths actors will go for critical acclaim, and that the blackface done by Lazarus wasn't okay.

  11. #151
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    LOL yeah lets blame the "snowflakes", don't be a shitty person and it won't come back to bite you in the ass. Its pretty simple

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Something Swedish
    Posts
    240
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL yeah lets blame the "snowflakes", don't be a shitty person and it won't come back to bite you in the ass. Its pretty simple
    And herein lies the problem. A person can do or say one bad thing years ago and suddenly their whole character is judged. Using a racist word on one occasion doesn’t make someone a racist anymore than telling a lie once makes someone a liar. Character judgement is based on a continual pattern of behaviour. That Aliu wouldn’t accept the original apology and thought the latest one was not genuine, reveals a lot about his character.

  14. #154
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '17 Ridgeline
    Posts
    624
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And herein lies the problem. A person can do or say one bad thing years ago and suddenly their whole character is judged. Using a racist word on one occasion doesn’t make someone a racist anymore than telling a lie once makes someone a liar. Character judgement is based on a continual pattern of behaviour. That Aliu wouldn’t accept the original apology and thought the latest one was not genuine, reveals a lot about his character.
    True. And a lot of people also over looked the fact this was brought up and addressed in the Hurricanes organization back in the day. Court of Public Opinion really shined through on this.

  15. #155
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    Something Swedish
    Posts
    240
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    we're all racist for thinking this.
    It’s so-called “white fragility.” All white people are racists—we cannot not be racist—and even a denial of racism is evidence of being a racist. This is something white people cannot win, even though it’s pure idiocy.

    Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With him being fired it proves that mob mentality and snowflakes like iBeast just need to make enough noise and anything someone has ever done in their whole life can bury them.
    Crazy, crazy world.

  16. #156
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    True. And a lot of people also over looked the fact this was brought up and addressed in the Hurricanes organization back in the day. Court of Public Opinion really shined through on this.
    Peters kicking a player was with the Hurricanes organization. The Aliu incident came with Blackhawks organization (with the AHL affiliate).

  17. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '17 Ridgeline
    Posts
    624
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peters kicking a player was with the Hurricanes organization. The Aliu incident came with Blackhawks organization (with the AHL affiliate).
    Doesn't really matter at this point. Both incidences were brought up and held against him well after the fact.

  18. #158
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Again I don't know why I am being labeled as a "snowflake" lol.

    I am somewhere on the fence with stuff like this, I don't agree with the mob mentality and we are getting "softer" as a society but some people on here are soo far on the other side its hard not to fight back and look like a "snowflake"

    You really just have to be careful with the things you say and do around people you aren't close with. I would be crucified with all the stuff I say around close friends but I am not dumb enough to say it around people I don't know or in a professional setting.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s so-called “white fragility.” All white people are racists—we cannot not be racist—and even a denial of racism is evidence of being a racist. This is something white people cannot win, even though it’s pure idiocy.



    Crazy, crazy world.
    I do totally agree with that as well, white males have to walk on eggshells to not get labeled racist

  19. #159
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,584
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    How is this mob mentality? The Flames are a private organization that is allowed to do what they want. And employing Peters is up to the Flames.

    I don't think he was fired for being a racist. We don't know if he is or not. He was fired for using a word that is clearly a racist term.

  20. #160
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    8,870
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    He used the n-word in a work setting, while representing the management and ownership of a company. There may be places where a white guy can use that word, but that wasn't it.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NHL Thread

    By asp integra in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 497
    Latest Threads: 09-29-2020, 03:46 PM
  2. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2018-2019 Edition

    By D'z Nutz in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 970
    Latest Threads: 04-23-2019, 09:32 AM
  3. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2008-2009 edition

    By rage2 in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 5191
    Latest Threads: 04-29-2009, 08:37 PM
  4. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2007-2008 edition

    By forced_eg in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 3485
    Latest Threads: 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM
  5. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD: 2006-2007 Edition

    By Kirbs17 in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 4144
    Latest Threads: 06-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •