Quantcast
Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2019-2020 Edition - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2019-2020 Edition

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm with the guys here that say this is horse shit. He dropped an N-bomb in reference to the music in the presence of someone who is black sure, but he didn't call him an n-bomb and I wouldn't call that racist at all. Is country music honkey music?

This whole cancel culture of shit that happened a decade ago is ridiculous. The fact that this will be anything more than an apology and move on is absurd If you want to skid Peters for the poor performance of the Flames lately sure, but don't hide it behind "he referred to hip hop using a racial slur TEN YEARS AGO so he can't coach with us now".

Aliu was a skid, the reason he got sent to the ECHL and failed there is not because he was bumping Biggie Smalls, its because he wasn't NHL material.
    Wow. Are you seriously equating the N word with the word "Honky"? Read up on your history man.

And you wonder why some white people are accused of never being able to understand what racism really is.

I honestly felt this was an isolated incident at first too and gave him the benefit of the doubt... as more info is coming out, I'm leaning towards believing his accusers.
    Last edited by 370Z; 11-26-2019 at 04:49 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ibeast View Post
    This isn't a crime. There is no statute of limitations for being a dick and your employer finding out and firing you. If they find language to void his contract they will, if not he will still be getting paid. Whats the issue?
    Your employer should be able to do as they please with respect to your employment.

However, the pressure here is based on the court of public opinion. I find it interesting that the public accepts that a burglary committed 10 years ago should not be punished, but mouth noises (as disgusting as they are), must be punished.

I think there are other distinction worth noting between the two types of crimes, and two types of punishments. I'm simply pointing out that the public pearl clutching seems to be inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Your employer should be able to do as they please with respect to your employment.

However, the pressure here is based on the court of public opinion. I find it interesting that the public accepts that a burglary committed 10 years ago should not be punished, but mouth noises (as disgusting as they are), must be punished.

I think there are other distinction worth noting between the two types of crimes, and two types of punishments. I'm simply pointing out that the public pearl clutching seems to be inconsistent.
    I agree with you that there are inconsistencies with how the public reacts with stuff like this and some of it is ridiculous.

Personally I look at each situation separately and try not to compare this to other cases (Cherry, JT Blackface). Context matters and this situation it does seem like it was very derogatory.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

It seems like you are the ignorant asshole
    Sorry to hurt your feelings, snowflake.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Sorry to hurt your feelings, snowflake.
    Classic response for when someone gets called out for being an idiot.

Sorry for pointing out it was ignorant for calling someone else ignorant by saying he was PROBABLY doing something.

I won't even go into you saying its not like he called him the N-word, but yeah go on living like an asshole and calling people snowflakes, millennials, or whatever else you want when you get called out for being insensitive.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

*snip*.
    You forgot triggered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ca_Silvia13 View Post
    Because to me it was always hip hop. I'm not 70 years old.

Literally every old man over 50 calls it n***a noise. That's old news man. It's not worth getting all worked up over. Now if it was a clear attack on Aliu's person. IE "Shut up you stupid N-BOMB". Well that's different.
    Am almost a decade over 50, have never called it n***a noise, do not use the n***a word and think that word is inappropriate in any manner unless debating the actual word itself.
    Will fuck off, again.

Media is triggering all over the place. Gotta sell clickbait to make bank bro. Hell they said he was fired at one point and they ran with that piece of misinformation like wildfire.

I would once again like to point out how ironic it is we are holding a hockey coach to a higher standard than our prime-minister. Keep on keepin on I guess?

My Ride
    Lariat

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I would once again like to point out how ironic it is we are holding a hockey coach to a higher standard than our prime-minister. Keep on keepin on I guess?
    Yup, doesn't make any sense.

Also, good win last night!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    How is it a higher standard? Did he punch Andrew Sheer in the back of the head last year or something, or did he kick Jason Kenney's fat ass last month?

Also, great win last night I agree!

It's crazy how the hurricanes started their home win cellies and played their hearts out in the playoffs the year after this dirtbag left... definitely not a coincidence.
    Last edited by 370Z; 11-28-2019 at 12:44 PM.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Am almost a decade over 50, have never called it n***a noise, do not use the n***a word and think that word is inappropriate in any manner unless debating the actual word itself.
    That's because you're not a racist at heart.

And we're actually talking about the N word with a hard "er" at the end is what this fucker actually said.

My Ride
    Silverado

why's that?

- - - Updated - - -

No one remembers what was said exactly 10 years ago.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    How is it a higher standard? Did he punch Andrew Sheer in the back of the head last year or something, or did he kick Jason Kenney's fat ass last month?
    Have you ever played high level competitive team sports? Doing something wrong or directly against the coach's instructions would often get you yelled at or a little smack up side the head. Sometimes other players would do it. Everyone knows on the team when you fuck up. Did Peter's take a 3 step soccer kick to the back of the players? Doubtful. Was it a little kick in the back to say wake up, don't fuck up? Maybe. Admittedly there is a lot of assumptions of the severity of kicks in question.

But is a Hockey coach who made a racial comment about some hip hop music really worse of then our PM in blackface in essential the same time period? I have to believe the PM should be held to a higher standard here. Without question.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
    And we're actually talking about the N word with a hard "er" at the end is what this fucker actually said.
    Haha your comment totally reminded me of this

Have you ever played high level competitive team sports? Doing something wrong or directly against the coach's instructions would often get you yelled at or a little smack up side the head. Sometimes other players would do it. Everyone knows on the team when you fuck up. Did Peter's take a 3 step soccer kick to the back of the players? Doubtful. Was it a little kick in the back to say wake up, don't fuck up? Maybe. Admittedly there is a lot of assumptions of the severity of kicks in question.

But is a Hockey coach who made a racial comment about some hip hop music really worse of then our PM in blackface in essential the same time period? I have to believe the PM should be held to a higher standard here. Without question.
    That isn't for you to decide. Unless you are black you can't assume what is worse or what outrage is warranted.

Edit: I am brown and I have no problem with the brown-face because I understand context and I don't think it was done in a disrespectful way. In the Peters case the player obviously took it in a way that was offensive.

No matter what everyone going to interrupt every situation different so I still don't understand why JT is even brought up because it is a totally different situation.
    Last edited by ibeast; 11-28-2019 at 01:12 PM.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

That isn't for you to decide. Unless you are black you can't assume what is worse or what outrage is warranted.
    I'm not deciding anything. I'm saying in the world of professional sports a lot of non PC things are normal. IE Football player does a great punt return. His entire team slaps his ass as he leaves the field in a congratulatory manor. When one of my sales people land a huge order do i slap them on the ass? Fuck no. So why crucify Peter's over giving his player a little shot in the back. It might be strange to people who don't float around in those circles. Context is everything man.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Is "locker room talk" considered OK?

I'm not deciding anything. I'm saying in the world of professional sports a lot of non PC things are normal. IE Football player does a great punt return. His entire team slaps his ass as he leaves the field in a congratulatory manor. When one of my sales people land a huge order do i slap them on the ass? Fuck no. So why crucify Peter's over giving his player a little shot in the back. It might be strange to people who don't float around in those circles. Context is everything man.
    Yeah saying the N-word and abusing players is not acceptable.

I understand what you are saying, I grew up playing sports and it is a whole different world but the GOOD coaches understand what athletes can handle the tougher love and what players need other types of motivation. The player coming out with the allegations from Carolina show that Peters did not understand that.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Except it's not regular people, it's former players and coaches complaining about it. So far, nobody has come out top defend these actions, so, it's safe to say he went over the line of what a normal tough coach would do no?

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast