Quantcast
Shoeshine thread - DIY Tips or favourite shine stand. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoeshine thread - DIY Tips or favourite shine stand.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Shoeshine thread - DIY Tips or favourite shine stand.

Intro: So I got into shoeshine videos as a way to relax when I was unemployed and stressed, but it seems like I've also picked up a little appreciation for the process too. Now that I'm back working, I need to get and keep my shoes looking decent. I know there are a few real shoe aficionados around, so lets chat about this. Techniques, products, tips, tricks and issues, or if you like someone else to take care of it, what's your favourite shine stand?

Back in the day, I just used a rag and a tin of kiwi black polish. I know I need some brushes, saddle soap and probably some creams and wax polish.

So all my shiny friends, lets chat, and if you have any footwear that you want to post photos of, that's awesome too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have been pretty happy with the allen edmonds products, which often go on sale.

i just stick a shoe tree in them and hold them in my hand.

Pro tip is keep your shoes at work and buy a set of commuter boots or something, massively decreases wear. Dress shoes while driving is just asking for scuffs on the pedals etc.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I've only seen one shine stand and don't even know if it exists anymore. Its in Bankers Hall on the 2nd floor near The Source.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Shuine stands in the Westin and fifth avenue place, both on +15 level.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

I don't work in an office environment so most of my collections are boots/Chukkas. I usually get my boots custom made from White's boots(wide feet, high arch etc).
    Have a pair of Alberta boots, 3 pairs of White's, and 8 pairs of redwings for work/casual footwear.
    I don't usually do any shine on them as they are mostly casual looking boots. Occasional horse hair brushing and obenauf for oiling/waterproofing for my collection
    Last edited by muse017; 07-28-2019 at 01:19 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Where do you guys go to buy your shoe polish products..?
    I can't find a tan shoe polish/cream anywhere unless I go downtown.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Saphir is the real deal, have their brushes, medallion creme (cognac and black, same for brushes) and suede brush. Got it all from A Fine Pair of Shoes Limited based in the UK. The Hangar Project's videos are informative but I found their prices expensive.

Shoe trees I got off of Amazon. I can't tell the difference between these vs. the ones I got from O'Connors years ago:
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007Z07U0Q/...394800_TE_dp_1
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

I get zen by watching those Japanese shoe polishing videos.

My Ride
    V167

Excellent thread idea.

I've been interested in shoe shining for the last year or so. Have found it to be very relaxing, and it has taken my "nice" looking shoes to the next level. Have particularly worked on finessing my technique for a mirror shine. Have finally got it mastered.

My technique is as follows:
    - clean shoe thoroughly with slighly moist rag (square of an old t-shirt)
    - apply Allen Edmonds Cleaner/Conditioner to a cloth (old t-shirt again), clean and condition the shoe. Let shoe dry.
    - If any scuffs, use a color matched polish (I use Kiwi black, and then color matched for my Allen Edmonds). Touch them up. Use a brush applicator. Let dry. Using old t-shirt, lightly buff.
    - finally....my favorite part..getting a mirror shine to the cap...
    I use Saphir Mirror Gloss
    I apply a light coat using my fingers, heat helps melt the waxes down and using fingers really massages the polish into the leather I find.
    Let dry/turn foggy.
    Then, using old t-shirt wound tight around my fingers, add a drop off water, and begin massaging in circular motions.
    Watch the videos re this part. Has taken me many months to finally find out what works and what doesn't. Alot of trial error.

In terms of brushes and applicators, mine came as a part of a basic kit from Winners. No need to spend $$$ on that kind of stuff IMO.

Here is a recent pic:

Shine on

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

nismodrifter, have you ever used the pate de luxe wax? Just wondering if the Mirror Gloss is easier to bring up the gloss finish compare to pate de luxe.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Do any of you use mink oil after for waterproofing?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mink Oil? Not on "good" shoes I wouldn't.

First purchases for me needs to be
    1) some "good" cleaner. Either saddle soap, the Spahir Renovateur or I've heard good things about Lexol. May need a local source as online seems difficult.
    2) Some decent cream conditioner.

The guy in the Westin +15 going into Shell Centre has been my go-to guy when i need it done. He's still only $5 unless something has changed since i last had it done about 6 months ago.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I put mink oil on my Blundstones after reading their recommendations... Protects but permanently darkened and imo ruined them.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    V167

Quote Originally Posted by HiSpec View Post
    nismodrifter, have you ever used the pate de luxe wax? Just wondering if the Mirror Gloss is easier to bring up the gloss finish compare to pate de luxe.
    nah I haven't.

The shine in the picture took me approx 15-20 minutes max. I'm happy with that.
    Have found that it all comes down to technique, and then knowing how each different shoe takes the polish (this is a biggie).
    Starting off I remember spending freaking hours on the same pair, and could not get the damn thing to mirror shine.

Will be refreshing a pair of Walnut Strands this week as the mirror polish has cracked, will post results.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Saphir is great for polishes and their products can't be beat. Conditioning products are either Venetian Shoe Cream or Bick 5.

Autoglym or any car leather balm works well with your shoes so two birds, one stone it. I avoid mink oil on dress shoes and just beater winter boots because they are a PITA to get off.

When you're polishing: adding a dab of water while buffing will give it a shine. I just did mine last night,

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  73.5 KBName:  02.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  73.7 KB
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I always use Ariel in the Suncor +15..

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

+1 to dab of water. +2 to keeping them in the office. I've had these a very a long time and they clean up nice after a polish. The crease behind the toe is the biggest scorn against them, and a few toe scuffs but it's hidden
    with the techniques listed above. Sometimes a meeting where you go outside / snow / grit is inevitable but try to clean them immediately after.

I start with a dry horse hair brushing, then a moist terrycloth/old t-shirt to lift grossness. Then it's the same tin of Kiwi black and a good buffing. I've been using the same rag for buffing, it will always retain some polish
    and that helps it glide over new polish thus giving max shine. I've actually tried some Mother's interior car leather cream to good effect at sort of moistening and adding a little bit more lift between polishes.

I also remove my laces as well.

Last edited by diamondedge; 07-29-2019 at 01:12 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Had a "real" shoe guy tell me that crease is because your shoes are too long. Either by style or by size. I dig the funky laces. You take those out before each polish?

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Quote Originally Posted by diamondedge View Post
    I've actually tried some Mother's interior car leather cream to good effect at sort of moistening and adding a little bit more lift between polishes.
    +1 for using car interior products.
    During winter time I add couple coats of Autoglym leather balm before adding shoe wax. Just an extra layer of protection against moisture and salt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast