Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where are you finding a 2018 spec bike (2020 models are now out) for "half the price".... Be realistic. Yea you could get 20-30% off on a good day, but you're telling me a $4,000 2018 bike is now selling for $2,000...
    What do you mean "be realistic"? I am not just making up numbers. The bike I found for my dad was from The Bike Shop, brand new but 2 years old and 50% off It's a Rocky Mountain FS. MSRP was $3999 and he paid $1999. You aren't looking hard enough if you can't find a good deal on old stock or a gently used bike.

The Giant Glory DH I bought back in the day was also old stock and right around half price.

I paid full price for one of my Trance's but I don't think I'd buy new again to be honest.

These people saying the changes are "DRAMATIC" every 2-3 years, I don't disagree that there are sometimes changes or overhauls (that the importance of depends on the rider), but I would challenge them to blindly ride a bunch of identical models from various years and tell me what year they all were and what the differences were - I would bet they could not.

The OP is looking to get back in the sport with a $1500 budget. You can get some very new, very good used bikes in that price range that are like-new. I don't think he should be ignoring gently used bikes or 1-2 year old new stock at this stage in the game.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-30-2019 at 04:11 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    What do you mean "be realistic"? I am not just making up numbers. The bike I found for my dad was from The Bike Shop, brand new but 2 years old and 50% off It's a Rocky Mountain FS. MSRP was $3999 and he paid $1999. You aren't looking hard enough if you can't find a good deal on old stock or a gently used bike.

The Giant Glory DH I bought back in the day was also old stock and right around half price.

I paid full price for one of my Trance's but I don't think I'd buy new again to be honest.

These people saying the changes are "DRAMATIC" every 2-3 years, I don't disagree that there are sometimes changes or overhauls (that the importance of depends on the rider), but I would challenge them to blindly ride a bunch of identical models from various years and tell me what year they all were - I would bet they could not.

The OP is looking to get back in the sport with a $1500 budget. You can get some very new, very good used bikes in that price range that are like-new. I don't think he should be ignoring those at this stage in the game.
    The trance is a perfect all mountain bike (maybe the first to perfect it?)... its a true do it all bike, not a specific instrument but I could live with one Easy.

Trance 3 is a Deore 1x, dropper and built around a 150 Suntour suspension... I'd buy a used one which still has warranty from a rental store and upgrade the front fork later?

That FB Trance 2 is also killer for the price.

Bikes are overpriced, the markup on Parts are minimum 100% and bikes aren't that far off... in fact most whole distributors for parts or bikes (say Dorel) run a monopoly ensuring their distribution chain sells at that specific margin

Somehow Dorel made a deal with the Marks/Sportchek group and you can get killer prices on GT - which with some seasonal discounts you can find wicked deals on some top end bikes (i.e. Sensor)

I hate how Dorel had taken some big brands and turned them department store garbage... but it looks like they are changing things up due to demand... (i.e. Mongoose and the newer Schwinn offerings)

I think that as biking has increased in popularity over the last 10 years, we will continue to see this climb in prices... though the manufacturing for the frames and parts (i.e. Shimano, Kinesis) really hasn't changed. Maybe it all has to do with R&D???

I mean shit, a new WR250 is about the same price as a Remedy 9.7... and it has a fucking engine, far more built up frame, bars and Forks...

edit... Man Giant FS bikes are good value for dollar when compared... that Trance 2 with SLX and a Fox 34 is a pretty slick bike for $3200 MSRP, jesus a mid-fat Santa Cruz Chameleon is the same price for a hardtail - the Anthem XC version is about the same price, and now I'm intrested, Gdamned beyond
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 07-30-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    The trance is a perfect all mountain bike (maybe the first to perfect it?)... its a true do it all bike, not a specific instrument but I could live with one Easy.

Trance 3 is a Deore 1x, dropper and built around a 150 Suntour suspension... I'd buy a used one which still has warranty from a rental store and upgrade the front fork later?

That FB Trance 2 is also killer for the price.

I mean shit, a new WR250 is about the same price as a Remedy 9.7... and it has a fucking engine, far more built up frame, bars and Forks...
    I am a huge fan of the Trance bikes, I have been riding them since 2009. They are my go-to recommendation for most people and Giant packages them up in a way that is typically much better value than the boutique brand competition. Giant also makes the frames for most other bikes unless something has changed recently.

Your comparison to a dirt/motocross bike is something that has always blown my mind. I get that there is different engineering and such involved, but there is no way a $6,000 MTB should cost the same as a 250lb motorcycle with engine and exponentially more substantial everything else haha. I used to race Motocross and looking at my RM125 next to my mountain bikes that cost about the same was always hard to process.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-30-2019 at 04:38 PM.

My Ride
    rally pig

out of curiosity but is it common for used MTB tires to need truing constantly (wouldn't be surprised though due to the terrain these would be ridden on)

bought a 26 HT earlier this year thinking that I would use it as my winter beater and noticed that both wheels were wobbling quite a bit.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    out of curiosity but is it common for used MTB tires to need truing constantly (wouldn't be surprised though due to the terrain these would be ridden on)

bought a 26 HT earlier this year thinking that I would use it as my winter beater and noticed that both wheels were wobbling quite a bit.
    wheel quality matters here, but yes.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

When do rental shops normally turn over their gear? fall?
    @Buster send me a pm with info on your bike
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 07-31-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    When do rental shops normally turn over their gear? fall?
    @Buster send me a pm with info on your bike
    After the summer, yeah - I would be cautious with rental bikes though, they are abused like no other (especially if they are near DH trails).

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    wheel quality matters here, but yes.
    For that reason, I went with Reserve wheels. After 2 days at whistler, they were still running true. This video convinced me.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Heading up to Fernie with the wife tomorrow to do some riding.

Where would you guys suggest renting a bike and equipment for 3 days?

We rode Trek Sessions in Big White and really enjoyed them. Any help/suggestions is appreciated as we are both just getting into the sport. Cheers.

We were really keen on the sport in Big White, just not sure if we're ready to drop a $4-5k+ on bikes yet.
    Bump, any help is appreciated. Just getting past Sparwood now.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Doesn’t fernie have everything you need? Or are you not riding fernie?

From your post I assume you are going there for DH riding. You can rent Scott Gamblers right on the hill, with full gear and lift ticket for $195. That's what I would do. If you just head out a few times a year (or less) I would rent at least until you're sure it will become a regular thing - it will take you a long time to get to $5000 and you will always get a current model bike.

Insurance is pretty cheap (I think it's $30) and I would recommend getting it, then you can beat the hell out of the bike and not worry about a thing. Also, chances are the bike has already been abused and you don't want to be the one riding it when something finally fails.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Yes, mostly downhill riding. We might boot around the valleys outside of the Fernie Bike park and see what we can find too.

Awesome, thanks.

I will check out the Scott Gamblers from Fernie. Just figured there might be an outfit in town that rents similar quality bikes for half the price.

Cheers.

Awesome, thanks.

I will check out the Scott Gamblers from Fernie. Just figured there might be an outfit in town that rents similar quality bikes for half the price.

Cheers.
    I always rent on the hill because it's so convenient, but I'd be surprised if they weren't cheaper in town if you have a way of getting them to the hill.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Sounds like you might want a separate rental for off resort riding... climbing on a DH bike is awful

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Yes, mostly downhill riding. We might boot around the valleys outside of the Fernie Bike park and see what we can find too.

Awesome, thanks.

Cheers.
    If you are intending to "boot around valleys" I would look for an Enduro or trail bike. You won't be able to go as big on the hill, but you will actually be able to pedal up, unless you are heli-biking. The Gambler won't be geared for "booting."

Awesome, thanks.

Cheers.
    You do not want a pure DH bike unless that's all you'll be doing - if you hit some normal trails, you will be miserable with a 40lb pure DH bike designed with one thing in mind. Since you're there for several days I'd suggest renting a DH bike for the DH days and a trail / all mountain bike for the more varied days.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks everyone, appreciate the info. Going to do 2 days of DH riding @ Fernie Bike Park and a day with an all mountain bike exploring (suggestions are welcome for the area!). Rental wasn't too bad for 2 days with the Scott Gamblers ($375 with full gear + lift passes for 2 days).

Gearhub in the town had bikes for half the price, will pick up the all mountain from there.

Not sure what we’re getting into riding Fernie, but if it’s half as good as the runs in big white - I’m sure it’ll be amazing.

Name:  425ED671-732C-4D71-9BA6-499E57B83D2D.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  106.3 KB
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 07-31-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the info. Going to do 2 days of DH riding @ Fernie Bike Park and a day with an all mountain bike exploring (suggestions are welcome for the area!). Rental wasn't too bad for days ($375 with full gear + lift passes for 2 days).

Gearhub in the town had bikes for half the price, will pick up the all mountain from there.
    Find out if/when Gearhub will liquidate their bikes.
    I'm down in Fernie at the end of August

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Find out if/when Gearhub will liquidate their bikes.
    I'm down in Fernie at the end of August
    As mentioned above you probably don't want to own a bike that has spent it's life as a rental, especially a DH rental. I'm all for a good deal on a pristine used bike but rental bikes are almost always absolutely trashed. I have seen so many DH bikes with almost invisible frame cracks too. Just be really careful if you go that route or make sure it's a steal of a deal.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast