Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 32 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The finishing on that rack is also subpar compared to the competition, a buddy of mine has one and there are better places to spend your money.
    Curious on the comment on the finishing.. I have one and thought it was significantly better than others that I looked at in the same range. I had one issue with straps and replacements were dropped off in my mailbox two days later. Your hands are likely to put more pressure on the handle bars than the u shaped mounts would either.. being much closer together and held in place with a rubber strap.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Starting to look for a 24" wheel MTB for an 8 year old if anyone is thinking of selling... ideally around the $500 mark and in good condition.

So on the one my buddy has the powdercoating is terrible, the welding isn't great and the overall fit and finish leave something to be desired, definitely functional in its form just lackluster on finishing details. In regards to the overall bar stress I agree but carbon parts don't like pressure points that aren't engineered, with the way those prongs grab on the bars there is a lot of friction dropping the bikes in, try driving with that rack down to Utah/Arizona and I would be very concerned about how carbon bars hold up.

So on the one my buddy has the powdercoating is terrible, the welding isn't great and the overall fit and finish leave something to be desired, definitely functional in its form just lackluster on finishing details. In regards to the overall bar stress I agree but carbon parts don't like pressure points that aren't engineered, with the way those prongs grab on the bars there is a lot of friction dropping the bikes in, try driving with that rack down to Utah/Arizona and I would be very concerned about how carbon bars hold up.
    NSRs are also just abismal in quality and how they hold up to any kind of temperate conditions. A neighbour of mine has the VelociRAX and swears by it...

I've been tempted so many times to pick up something similar, but never really have been in a predicament where I ran out of space in the box of my truck, so I still find the ole' shuttle pad the easiest and quickest solution for me.

If I had a Jeep or a Suv, I'd probably go with the VelociRax or Yakima as they "I don't believe" are limited to having to need a fork.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My NSR has been fine, but I have seen some that are terrible. Those have mostly been on the vehicle all year long and the salt wreaks them. I think they all have quality issues here and there.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Anyone see what recon quality is doing since one up acquired them?

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Yeah, you for sure don’t want bigger than a medium in a mondraker. They’re pretty long bikes, the foxy xr is pretty sweet too, but you’re paying a decent amount more for a slight better material drivetrain and carbon wheels, but probably inline with a canyon after factoring in shipping and VAT

https://www.stokedcanada.com/collect...y-carbon-xr-29
    I shouldnt have stalled, went to order this last night and sure enough it got sold in the med. I ended up getting the super foxy though, the blue yellow grew on me once i realized i had no choice. I kept waffling between the cube but for the same money im getting a way better ride so its worth it. Wicked guys at stoked
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Nice! Should be enough bike to tackle basically anything. I probably would have gone that way too at the current price they have on em

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    NSRs are also just abismal in quality and how they hold up to any kind of temperate conditions. A neighbour of mine has the VelociRAX and swears by it...

I've been tempted so many times to pick up something similar, but never really have been in a predicament where I ran out of space in the box of my truck, so I still find the ole' shuttle pad the easiest and quickest solution for me.

If I had a Jeep or a Suv, I'd probably go with the VelociRax or Yakima as they "I don't believe" are limited to having to need a fork.
    The Velocirax will most likely be my next rack, try and offload my 4 place T2 and jump into that. The only other one I've been eyeing up is the Quikr rack, that one seems to solve all the short comings of the 1up.

Seeing the Velocirax, this is what the Kijiji guy was fabricating locally. Wondering if he'll be back or did Velocirax tell him to quit it?

I have a T2 for 2 bikes. Just don't like it and can't take more than one friend out. Looking to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Nice! Should be enough bike to tackle basically anything. I probably would have gone that way too at the current price they have on em
    For the price they had them at i really couldnt say no and yeah it will be more than enough to tackle my capabilities. Im currently riding a 2014 cannondale trigger with the 130mm lefty so this will be a dream ride compared to what im used to.
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The Velocirax will most likely be my next rack, try and offload my 4 place T2 and jump into that. The only other one I've been eyeing up is the Quikr rack, that one seems to solve all the short comings of the 1up.
    They don't ship to Canada.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

I have both a hitch and roof rack from RockyMounts and IMO they are much better then the Thule and Yahima equivalent. My hitch mount has had trips to Moab and many into BC without issue.

If you're gonna ball out on a rack, I recommend you find a locking solution. Shit's become almost as expensive as the bike.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

From what I understand, NSR has a few key patents that they strongly enforce, but are also expiring within a year or two. May see a bunch of other options come out when that happens.

@benyl they opened up a location in Langley I believe to service Canada now. I would have shipped one to Montana to pick up otherwise. They are fantastic racks, with the pneumatics it makes it so much easier for the wife to use.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

@benyl they opened up a location in Langley I believe to service Canada now. I would have shipped one to Montana to pick up otherwise. They are fantastic racks, with the pneumatics it makes it so much easier for the wife to use.
    Yeah, I don't like how the NSR rubs the frame near the headset. Also don't like that I can't use it for anything but a mountain bike. Even my kid's 20" MTB isn't great to put on the NSR.

edit:

Damn. $160 in Shipping. Cheaper for me to fly out and pick it up. haha. wonder if they do airport delivery service in Abbotsford.

Saw that. Wondering if they'd do a group buy? I'd be in.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Im looking hard at the RockyMounts with a swingout... but it only swings passenger side which is semi annoying. Seems if i want a driver side swing (for the camper, awning will be on passenger side) i have to get the Kuat which the swing alone is $600

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I watched this while eating my lunch.

The damper helps and hinders... These people have some baller bikes.

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 42 ... LastLast