Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 24 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice ride! Looks pretty good up there all considering.

Hoping to shred revy bike park Tuesday and do frisby on Wednesday. Hope that rain comes tonight and tomorrow.
    Did you do Frisby Today (Wednesday) if so what time....we were there pretty early and back at the parking lot around noonish.

Quote Originally Posted by tenth View Post
    Just to throw one more wrench out there, Rocky Mountain has a history with their frames. Last year, due to weakness in the headtube welds (where owners were advised not to ride their bikes for a few months), they replaced the front triangle on all of their 2018-2020 Instinct aluminum frames last year. All of the 2020 model years were replaced with nice looking carbon frames, and good on them for that. For those of us with 2018-2019 frames, we got franken bikes. Rather than giving us original colours, we got a grey frame with black stickers regardless of how bad it looks like.

The love Rocky Mountain used to get on Pinkbike and r/MTB has really turned. Some of the colour combos were REALLY bad. Thankfully mine was black/blue/red, but it still looks like a frankenbike up close. I'm still not impressed, and in a coinflip scenario I would buy another brand.
    https://www.bikes.com/sites/default/...8_2019_ENG.pdf
    Interesting - I read something about that in passing but I didn't know the details. I guess it's like you say, great for the people who got the newer carbon frames, but crappy for anyone who had to accept the black ones. They went above and beyond for the 2020 folks, it's weird they screwed over the 2018-19's.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    2022 bikes are out now. I’d try an source one.
    Yeah it's looking like I don't have much of a choice anyway unless I get lucky with someone's canceled order. The Instinct is an oct/nov delivery as a 2022 and the Troy is a late January delivery as a 2022.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I went to a few more bike shops yesterday and I think it's down to the Instinct and the Troy. It's actually the same weight as the Instinct and some further research suggests I was probably underestimating its climbing ability. I was surprisingly able to see one in person and it's probably the best looking of the 3, the frame looks indestructible, and it has the best component spec. I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed with either though. The Sight I think is out - it has by far the worst spec for the same money and is the heaviest bike. If I was going to be doing more bike park stuff though, the Sight would probably be the best choice of the 3.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

So has devinci moved up market or something? I always thought they were more of a budget brand? Like a high end sports store chain bike?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by bigboom View Post
    No Shimano builds, so no go.

XT on my TB4 has been so much better than GX on my N4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    So has devinci moved up market or something? I always thought they were more of a budget brand? Like a high end sports store chain bike?
    I don't think they were budget brand, just better bang for the buck as currency fluctuations didn't come into play. Could be wrong though.

My Ride
    V8s

TIL it's not only children that are really passionate about the color of their bicycles.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    TIL it's not only children that are really passionate about the color of their bicycles.
    so true. My daughter was pissed that she got a hand me down Scott Scale 20 from my son. Not because it was a hand me down, but because it had matte yellow paint. She wanted shiny yellow paint.

She didn't GAF that I upgraded the bike with a Megarange freewheel and hydraulic brakes.

haha, she rides it just fine right now, but likes to remind me that the color sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Apparently they are known for their bullet proof frames and Dave Weigel suspension designs. I've never seen their bikes outside 'real' bike shops and they have been around for a long time. To my knowledge they're on par with any of the major brands and are reviewed as such. I guess other than the frame, not much else on a bike really has to do with the bike manufacturer - kind of like buying a Laptop haha. This is the build I'm looking at:

https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes/mou...black-edition/

I was told the price of sea can shipping has gone up by a factor of 8-10, and that is one of the main reasons why bikes prices have increased. I was also told the bike manufacturers are eating most of the extra cost. What the guys at the store said was that Devinci is the only one still building their frames in Canada so they have less to ship overseas and can therefore provide a bit better value. Also to benyl's point they have less import tariffs to pay.

How bad is the SRAM GX stuff? From my reading around the web, it strikes me as a Ford vs Chevy type thing. People say Shimano shifts better under load but SRAM shifts more confidently and needs less adjustment. People say Shimano brakes are more "on or off" with floating bite point issues, and SRAM brakes are more adjustable and progressive, but use DOT brake fluid which is more annoying to work with. SRAM looks cheaper if anything has to be replaced. The Instinct I'm looking at is XT/SLX drivetrain and 180mm SLX brakes, the Troy is GX drivetrain with 200mm Code R brakes.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I shift under load. It's just the way I ride and always have. I have niggly issues with my GX and eventually had to replace the derailleur when I swapped to an XO1 chain.

DOT fluid is one of the reasons I skip SRAM brakes. Besides that, I like the on-off nature of Shimano.

All my bikes get 200mm rotors and Saint brakes. They just work and don't overheat on long descents. I haven't really ridden the latest generation 4 pots (deore, SLX, XT) to tell you if they are just as good.

The M820 Saints are 8-9 years old and still haven't been replaced. I guess Shimano is taking the approach of "why mess with a good thing."

I'd try Hope or Maguras, but just haven't had the opportunity. But I think Hope uses DOT fluid.

Thanks. I have a habit of easing up on my pedaling as I shift, but I've always done that even with Shimano stuff (which is on my current bike) so hopefully if I go SRAM I won't be too disappointed with that side of things.

I've heard the generic MXXXX Shimano 4 piston brakes are just the old Saints that still work really well.

I'll more than likely be paying someone to do my bike maintenance so I probably don't have to be as concerned with DOT vs Mineral Oil.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I shift under load. It's just the way I ride and always have. I have niggly issues with my GX and eventually had to replace the derailleur when I swapped to an XO1 chain.

DOT fluid is one of the reasons I skip SRAM brakes. Besides that, I like the on-off nature of Shimano.

All my bikes get 200mm rotors and Saint brakes. They just work and don't overheat on long descents. I haven't really ridden the latest generation 4 pots (deore, SLX, XT) to tell you if they are just as good.

The M820 Saints are 8-9 years old and still haven't been replaced. I guess Shimano is taking the approach of "why mess with a good thing."

I'd try Hope or Maguras, but just haven't had the opportunity. But I think Hope uses DOT fluid.
    New XT are basically the same.

MY saints were amazing. I like the Code RSC on my new ebike, and it came with 220mm rotors (lol). But they don't have that same "power" feel as Shimano brakes. I'd go back to shimano brakes I think.

My Ride
    Z

Fernie felt a lot better on Sat from the rain last week. Absolutely monsoon rains Sunday so we'll see next week.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Fuck… fell on Sunday. Can’t tell if I broke something or if the throbbing and limited motion is just missing skin related… gonna get an x-ray to double check before I get out again. Boo

On a related note… anyone find elbow and knee pads that don’t suck for longer trail rides? I never have mine on when I need them due to either limiting motion, overheating, or swelling limbs due to tightness needed so they don’t fall down

My Ride
    Z

They all suck for actual pedaling. Why not put them on at the top?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    True. I only ever wear knee / shin guards at the park. Have scars to prove it.

I wear Fox Launch knee/ shin and Race Face Indy elbows.

By no means are they insanely cool, but its a trade off.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    I for sure bring more protection when it’s a single climb/descent… but when it’s a bunch of ups and downs, that’s when I’m exposed and also tend to eat shit

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Apparently they are known for their bullet proof frames and Dave Weigel suspension designs. I've never seen their bikes outside 'real' bike shops and they have been around for a long time. To my knowledge they're on par with any of the major brands and are reviewed as such. I guess other than the frame, not much else on a bike really has to do with the bike manufacturer - kind of like buying a Laptop haha. This is the build I'm looking at:

https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes/mou...black-edition/

I was told the price of sea can shipping has gone up by a factor of 8-10, and that is one of the main reasons why bikes prices have increased. I was also told the bike manufacturers are eating most of the extra cost. What the guys at the store said was that Devinci is the only one still building their frames in Canada so they have less to ship overseas and can therefore provide a bit better value. Also to benyl's point they have less import tariffs to pay.

How bad is the SRAM GX stuff? From my reading around the web, it strikes me as a Ford vs Chevy type thing. People say Shimano shifts better under load but SRAM shifts more confidently and needs less adjustment. People say Shimano brakes are more "on or off" with floating bite point issues, and SRAM brakes are more adjustable and progressive, but use DOT brake fluid which is more annoying to work with. SRAM looks cheaper if anything has to be replaced. The Instinct I'm looking at is XT/SLX drivetrain and 180mm SLX brakes, the Troy is GX drivetrain with 200mm Code R brakes.
    Divinci Alu is stil made in Chicoutimi and I would say that they did have a number of bikes in the past that were "budget" friendly in the way Cannondale is, but have always made some of the most robust frames in the market.

With the DW-link 4 bar and Split Pivot designs, and super chunky frame design (Alu or Carbon) they are bikes that like being ridden hard, as the platform is very linear without harsh bottomout but really don't have tons of small bump compliance.

I would say Divinci is a true Canadian boutique bike in the way IBIS/YETI are... The only thing is, I don't find them to be quite as "progressive", as they seem to hang back a year or two to see who is adding more reach, STA etc..

Now SRAM vs. Shimano?? - I run XTR mech on my Stumpy, and GX on my Divinci Django.

Not going to lie and though I know the XTR is lighter, the GX has better engagement to me... much better

Brake wise I run XT on the Stumpy with Guide REs on the Django, and both with metalic pads. My XT are not 4 pot, so both are comparable, and I'd say theyare equitable with maybe a bit better Ergo going to Shimano.

Personally I love how SRAM GX is the "flag-ship" without the flagship price. Identical function/design to X0/X01 just without the carbon bits.

My XTR is a 11 speed, and the GX is Eagle... but I've heard Shimano is going down this way as well with their latest lineup and I've heard nothing but great things bout Deore and SLX... to the point where guys in the bike shop are like: SLX is every bit as good as XT/XTR, in the way GX is the same to XO/XO1

My Ride
    ute

It's surprising how the Shimano and SRAM competition has improved their mid-level mechs. It's awesome. I built a Yeti SB150, and really wanted to put the XX1/X01 on there, but in the end just went with GX. More durable, and same.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It's surprising how the Shimano and SRAM competition has improved their mid-level mechs. It's awesome. I built a Yeti SB150, and really wanted to put the XX1/X01 on there, but in the end just went with GX. More durable, and same.
    its crazy but the more I'm reading about Deore 6100... its every bit as good up to XT, including brakes.

What I've seen are people buying XT der/shifter, but everything else Deore... Brakes, Chain, Cassette, Cranks etc..

Also same with the Guide RE - they reused an older set of Code brakes and Guide R brake handles which makes it tremendous value for dollar

Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast