Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 26 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I will only buy from Calgary Cycle. But that is mostly because of the old manager Chris Turner. He is missed. lol.

Building the TallBoy from a frame during covid was an experience. CC got me enough parts and lent me parts while I waited so I could ride. I am still waiting for my color matched Chris King headset spacers, 1 year later. lol.

I will say that it has been hit or miss in the last 3 years, but I think they got their grove back. PM me if you want a contact to deal with that is good.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fuck… fell on Sunday. Can’t tell if I broke something or if the throbbing and limited motion is just missing skin related… gonna get an x-ray to double check before I get out again. Boo

On a related note… anyone find elbow and knee pads that don’t suck for longer trail rides? I never have mine on when I need them due to either limiting motion, overheating, or swelling limbs due to tightness needed so they don’t fall down
    I have the iXS Flow Evo+ Knee Guards got a lot of pedaling hours on them and they have been great.

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    its crazy but the more I'm reading about Deore 6100... its every bit as good up to XT, including brakes.
    h
    What I've seen are people buying XT der/shifter, but everything else Deore... Brakes, Chain, Cassette, Cranks etc..

Also same with the Guide RE - they reused an older set of Code brakes and Guide R brake handles which makes it tremendous value for dollar
    This is a great video explains the Shimano line up https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blo...vs-deore-video

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Oh really, good to know - I will stop in there and see how I feel about them.

Bow Trail Calgary Cycle is super convenient because I live really close by, but I've spent about half an hour reading Google reviews and most of the bad ones are related to customer service and really crappy service jobs which makes me nervous. I did talk to one guy there who was awesome, but I haven't seen him since. The other few people I dealt with there didn't really seem to care about much. Super nice brand-new store though.

Calgary Cycle 'Pure' in Canyon Meadows seems to be better, I talked with who I am pretty sure was the owner for about 45mins when I was in there and he was extremely patient and helpful. They have a 4.7/5 on Google Reviews and he personally replied to all the negative reviews in a much better manner than the usual canned responses you normally see on there. Almost all the negative ones were related to COVID (not returning voicemails, etc.) rather than actual problems. Seemed like he genuinely wanted to make everyone happy. The store is really small and cramped but that doesn't really affect me haha.
    Problem with Google reviews is that 90% of the people that are happy don't review while a large number of unhappy people do. I've found that Bowcycle has gotten "too big for your britches" over the years IMO

ooh... GT has a new Force with an idler pully.

I hate what doral did with Mongoose, Cannondale and GT, but at least the two latter still offered half decent bikes at reasonable price points...

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I’m not sure I like the idea of my bike getting longer during compressions. We’ll see how the new sessions go.

Did some riding at Sun Peaks today. Super fun tech trails with a lot of flow. Sugar, bermalade and sweet one were my favs and definitely worth checking out if you head there. The advanced jump line, steam shovel is huge. Much harder than dirt merchant in Whistler imo.

Name:  156D727C-2BE2-477B-AF16-C2A7EBF7909F.jpeg
Views: 270
Size:  1.62 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kjonus View Post
    Problem with Google reviews is that 90% of the people that are happy don't review while a large number of unhappy people do. I've found that Bowcycle has gotten "too big for your britches" over the years IMO
    Agreed - that is the case for virtually all reviews everywhere. I was more looking for comments on service (like repairs/tune-ups/upgrades). IMHO it's unacceptable to screw that up with any regularity as it can be a safety issue, service is expensive, and how easy it is to prevent mistakes by simply double checking or having someone else give it a quick check. Some people's stories and pictures were a bit scary. It's not my sole decision maker but I want to know either way.

I agree with you on Bow Cycle - they are clearly the biggest bike operation I have seen and I couldn't get anyone to help me in that store either. They are so big and volume is so high there is probably a lot that slips through the cracks.

-------------------------------------------------------

I went into Cactus Bike & Ski and my experience was not good. I waited 25 minutes while 3 employees were BS'ing with someone before I finally left. I was the only other person in the store. They seemed very disorganized and totally uninterested in any kind of customer service which was the theme of many of their reviews as well.

Now that I have visited what I think is every bike shop in Calgary, my best experience was at Calgary Cycle Pure (Canyon Meadows). Last time I was in there I spoke to an employee named Duncan and yesterday I dealt with the owner Erik - both were excellent and had all the time in the world for me despite the store being busy. The Bike Shop downtown was just as good, but they don't sell Devinci. Ended up ordering a 2022 Troy Carbon GX Black Edition.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Nice. The do work in a dealership format so if you want to get your bike serviced at the bow trail location, or bragg creek (when it reopens), you file should go across all locations.

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Nice. The do work in a dealership format so if you want to get your bike serviced at the bow trail location, or bragg creek (when it reopens), you file should go across all locations.
    Oh cool, I didn't know they were connected. Thanks!

My Ride
    06 WRX

Funny reading the reviews on shops the last couple pages, as they echo my experiences. Calgary Cycle on Bow Trail is closest to me, but I had several condescending experiences with their staff when I was trying to fix my box store purchased GT Avalanche. Their tool and DIY fix it section is also really limited compared to other shops. I'm down to only buying basics there (shift cables, lube) out of convenience for my Rocky Mountain Instinct and Blizzard.

Ridley's is opening in Westhills next Spring, which will be welcome. I have had really positive experiences at Bow Cycle on service, and their tool and parts sections seem to be the best in the city. Our bikes have all been purchased at The Bike Shop North to date, and they've been great.

Congrats on the bike. Very well specced for the money. The only change I would make is an aggressor or a dissector for a rear tire. The DHRII is a very slow rolling tire. You can save it for when you hit a park day and want maximum downhill traction. Make sure the tires are tubeless as well.

Get a good set of flat pedals (ie. one up), and a proper set of mtb shoes (ie. 5 10). These make a massive difference. I also personally buy high end helmets for whatever extra safety I might get in the case of a massive wipe out, but that’s just me.

Think about how you’re going to hydrate. Personally, I would buy as big of a water bottle as you can fit in the frame (600ml+), so I don’t have to wear a backpack. I rock a 1L EvoC hip pouch and its perfect for a few tools/tube/beer.

Spend a couple of hundred bucks, get a proper bike stand, a proper torque wrench and a few other specific tools and learn to use them. Buy some bike grease, degreaser, carbon compound, Loctite, fork lube etc. There’s nothing like the feeling of a freshly built up bike, torqued to spec, with every bolt properly greased or loctited.

In the summer, you will not be able to get a service booking for almost a month out, you break something you need to fix it yourself. The service you get in most bike shops has also gone way down since the whole covid thing. Everyone is trying to get bikes out the door as fast as possible and things are constantly overlooked.

Last but not least, book a vacation in Whistler. Nothing like it.

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    Congrats on the bike. Very well specced for the money. The only change I would make is an aggressor or a dissector for a rear tire. The DHRII is a very slow rolling tire. You can save it for when you hit a park day and want maximum downhill traction. Make sure the tires are tubeless as well.

Get a good set of flat pedals (ie. one up), and a proper set of mtb shoes (ie. 5 10). These make a massive difference. I also personally buy high end helmets for whatever extra safety I might get in the case of a massive wipe out, but that’s just me.

Think about how you’re going to hydrate. Personally, I would buy as big of a water bottle as you can fit in the frame (600ml+), so I don’t have to wear a backpack. I rock a 1L EvoC hip pouch and its perfect for a few tools/tube/beer.

Spend a couple of hundred bucks, get a proper bike stand, a proper torque wrench and a few other specific tools and learn to use them. Buy some bike grease, degreaser, carbon compound, Loctite, fork lube etc. There’s nothing like the feeling of a freshly built up bike, torqued to spec, with every bolt properly greased or loctited.

In the summer, you will not be able to get a service booking for almost a month out, you break something you need to fix it yourself. The service you get in most bike shops has also gone way down since the whole covid thing. Everyone is trying to get bikes out the door as fast as possible and things are constantly overlooked.

Last but not least, book a vacation in Whistler. Nothing like it.
    Thanks!

I actually have some of that stuff already, it's just a bit old.

I've got Shimano clipless pedals but I'm going to buy some new trail oriented ones with a bit more of a platform to them. I have shoes and Shimano cleats already which I'm assuming I can use (I know the cleats should still work at least).

I've got a couple different Camelbak's & bladders. Was out in Canmore 2 weekends ago when it was 34C and I thought 2 water bottles would be enough, but nope haha. Now I bring the Camelbak. For shorter or cooler rides though I will try get away with a water bottle. I'm jealous of the Specialized/Trek frame storage designs that hold tools or another water bottle.

I have a new-ish Scott helmet with MIPS, etc. I also still have all my old DH gear including shin guards, full face helmet, etc. for the bike park days.

I do need to get a bike stand and some basic tools though, along with the other items you mentioned like bike wash and lube. Christmas will come before my bike (late January 2022 estimated) so I'll have lots of gift ideas to give people haha.

Yeah I was warned about the service in peak riding season - they said they triage it so that people who aren't able to ride get their bikes before people just looking for a basic tune or a once-over, but I have no idea how strict they are with that. I'm sure I will spend several hours on YouTube re-learning basic bike repairs/tunes so hopefully I can manage myself.

I have read the DHR/DHF tires are very slow rollers. I will probably pay the shop to swap tires and make them tubeless before I even pick up the bike. Any suggestions for a more trail oriented tire? I was already eyeing the Assegai or Dissector but I have a lot more research to do there still.

I definitely want to make it out to Whistler for a few days and I will just rent a proper DH bike and do it right. I have been to most of the other prominent mountains near Calgary like Panorama, Kicking Horse, Mt.7, etc. but never made it as far as Whistler. Watching all the POV trail videos on YouTube make me want to go so bad.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-11-2021 at 04:34 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Ride
    ute

I think it will be good. Although I'm not sure how well the boutique brands are going to do competing against the big boys in the ebike space. There'a a reason I bought a Spec.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I think it will be good. Although I'm not sure how well the boutique brands are going to do competing against the big boys in the ebike space. There'a a reason I bought a Spec.
    Yeah, shit is so overpriced already. Add the Yeti tax / boutique US brand (made in asia) tax and suddenly you are at $15K with no history behind you. Spec has been making them long enough that I am sure the kinks are all worked out.

I test rode a Devinci E-bike 4 or 5 years ago, it was a long travel on (180mm I think). To your point, I haven't seen one since.

I just wish we got the higher spec motors in Canada. I think we are limited to 28km/h and the US gets 45 km/h.

I've looked at seeing if we can hack them, but it seemed painful.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Mondraker Dusk RR for $7k and free shipping from Kelowna has me tempted

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Fade to black. So much fun.

Name:  BDDAF45C-8AE8-4511-BBDF-90616236CD0E.jpeg
Views: 260
Size:  1.09 MB

If you told me 2 years ago when I first got into mtb that I would be sending these kind of trails now I would have just laughed. The progression is real.

My Ride
    ute

Yeah, shit is so overpriced already. Add the Yeti tax / boutique US brand (made in asia) tax and suddenly you are at $15K with no history behind you. Spec has been making them long enough that I am sure the kinks are all worked out.

I test rode a Devinci E-bike 4 or 5 years ago, it was a long travel on (180mm I think). To your point, I haven't seen one since.

I just wish we got the higher spec motors in Canada. I think we are limited to 28km/h and the US gets 45 km/h.

I've looked at seeing if we can hack them, but it seemed painful.
    It's a self limiting thing to satisfy the environmental hippie twats. You can feel the assist stop at 30km/h.... very perceptible.

They used to be hackable by going into the app and changing your country, but the current version removed that because Spec got their pee pees slapped hard.

It's a self limiting thing to satisfy the environmental hippie twats. You can feel the assist stop at 30km/h.... very perceptible.

They used to be hackable by going into the app and changing your country, but the current version removed that because Spec got their pee pees slapped hard.
    I'm in the market for a new E-bike ATM. I took a spin on one of the ones made by "Biktrix", and no, I'm not buying one from them, but they did have their motors "hacked" to provide the aforementioned higher speed/power capability, so long as you were only going to use it off road (snicker).

I quite like what I've read/seen regarding the Dusk RR that ercchry posted - any intel if that bike or something similar can be had with the non-gay 28 km/hr limiter? I don't mind spending more $ in order to get such a feature.

Buster, what are you riding now, I remember you posting about it but couldn't find the exact post? Any suggestions from you or anyone else? I was actually pretty impressed with the Biktrix bike for the cost, it had a 1000w mid drive and was around $5k-ish, but again, I want something with a little better quality/etc.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    I'm in the market for a new E-bike ATM. I took a spin on one of the ones made by "Biktrix", and no, I'm not buying one from them, but they did have their motors "hacked" to provide the aforementioned higher speed/power capability, so long as you were only going to use it off road (snicker).

I quite like what I've read/seen regarding the Dusk RR that ercchry posted - any intel if that bike or something similar can be had with the non-gay 28 km/hr limiter? I don't mind spending more $ in order to get such a feature.

Buster, what are you riding now, I remember you posting about it but couldn't find the exact post? Any suggestions from you or anyone else? I was actually pretty impressed with the Biktrix bike for the cost, it had a 1000w mid drive and was around $5k-ish, but again, I want something with a little better quality/etc.
    I got this.

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/tu...=317310-188256

I can't speak about it highly enough. Build quality, fit and finish, and the tech are all very impressive.

I prefer the Spec drivetrain over the Shimano, which is loud as shit. The Spec is almost silent. I don't care about additional speed of a hacked drivetrain. I rarely could put that to use on the trails.

I got this.

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/tu...=317310-188256

I can't speak about it highly enough. Build quality, fit and finish, and the tech are all very impressive.

I prefer the Spec drivetrain over the Shimano, which is loud as shit. The Spec is almost silent. I don't care about additional speed of a hacked drivetrain. I rarely could put that to use on the trails.
    Ok, prefect, thanks. Speed wise I'll be on pavement/city bike paths (not Calgary atm) about 1/2 the time, but I can live without hacked/boosted speed with the right/best bike.

Last question - you ride it in the winter/snow at all, if so, opinions?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    Ok, prefect, thanks. Speed wise I'll be on pavement/city bike paths (not Calgary atm) about 1/2 the time, but I can live without hacked/boosted speed with the right/best bike.

Last question - you ride it in the winter/snow at all, if so, opinions?
    No, I don't ride in the winter. I may get a fatbike, but I dunno. I hate being cold.

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16 25 26 27 36 ... LastLast