Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 17 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Not bad for a DH bike and stopping a bunch along the way. Gassed though, gotta get back in climbing shape!

Name:  FC90CC63-1EE1-415C-9F4A-8EB6D28A8AB8.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  22.5 KB

My Ride
    65 Chevy C10

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Interesting... wonder how heavier FS bikes with carbon bars would hold up from a season or two of bumpy shuttle roads?
    We ran two bikes with carbon bars on one of these racks 3x a week last year. Mostly up and down the Moose road and Boulder Mountain road. No issues at all, it holds the bars very close to the stem. The challenge with E bikes is that some of the newer models have a screen mounted to the bars which interferes with the rack.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

New bikes for wife and I

2021 Norco Sight 29 and 2021 Norco Sight 27.5. Loving them so far. A lot more fun to boot around the trails versus our downhill bikes. Will definitely keep the DH bikes for the bike park abuse though.

Name:  F1F65335-C5BE-45E7-AC3F-627C34A1C81C.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  170.9 KB

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Name:  A748A974-E9C0-49D4-B37F-6466480745EB.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  98.6 KB

Finally got this thing out; good day for it, think the threat of rain kept a few people out of fish creek. Was surprisingly not an infuriating experience

Little bike storage work today

Name:  20210501_170042.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  47.0 KB

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Anyone spent much time mountain biking in Washington/Oregon? Any trail network recommendations? Cheers

Have you checked out the forum on pink bike? You may have better luck there!

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Got my seasons pass for whistler today. I imagine they’ll sell out before end of day. Pays itself off in 6 days.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Name:  A78DF672-83D6-4657-A12B-C67C56E5853B.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  281.4 KB

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Husky road sucks, perfectly good trucks just parked in the lot that could take us up moose road, but noooooo

If you could shuttle that road, the whole mountain would get destroyed in the span of a year.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    If you could shuttle that road, the whole mountain would get destroyed in the span of a year.
    Gotta earn your loam! But yeah, undecided if the effort is worth it vs shuttling moose

Speaking of, view from the ride around on Loamzilla:

Name:  9F742BFD-03F5-4A61-A2AA-7243A51217BC.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  345.2 KB
    Last edited by ercchry; 06-02-2021 at 12:19 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Don't care much about biking other than on pavement and the odd basic terrain regularly. What stops me from spending $700 on a GT Aggressor bike that looks cool from Sport Chek? Heard frame was good but parts on it are cheap. Is it much better to go to a bike shop and get something "better" for a little bit more? I don't want to spend $1500 or even $1000 if I can help it.

Just want to ride around the city and some easy trails and have a lightweight mountain bike so I can carry it easily above my head if I need to.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Don't care much about biking other than on pavement and the odd basic terrain regularly. What stops me from spending $700 on a GT Aggressor bike that looks cool from Sport Chek? Heard frame was good but parts on it are cheap. Is it much better to go to a bike shop and get something "better" for a little bit more? I don't want to spend $1500 or even $1000 if I can help it.

Just want to ride around the city and some easy trails and have a lightweight mountain bike so I can carry it easily above my head if I need to.
    Well for one... fucking around with 3 fucking chain rings would be annoying as shit even if you never left the paved path. This is not a bike you’ll “grow into” used hard tail from FB market place would be the way to go

If you're just doing pavement and general cruising I would probably lean towards getting a 29" wheeled bike, 650b wouldn't be optimal for that. A front derailleur could be good just to give you some range but at least do a more modern 2x instead of 3x like ercchry said, unless you like fussing with your drivetrain.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Looking at the specs, the other thing I would try to steer clear of is cheap mechanical brakes.

I spent weeks trying to get the brakes on my kid's bike to not rub (it howled when it rubbed). Switched to hydraulic and haven't had to touch them at all. It's probably more of an issue with bikes that have skewer quick releases as opposed to through axel.

My Ride

Thanks for the insights, will keep all of these things in mind.
    Didn't even know what a front derailleur even was until I looked it up. Problem with used is I'm not too sure what to look for and if it's good value so it's difficult to search.

I feel like dj_rice buying his Infiniti right now. Just trying to do more research about it through Google and here before I purchase.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 06-04-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Dont waste your time going to a bike shop if you dont wanna spend more than $1500, i havent been to one for about a month and even back then it was slim pickings. There was still some bikes but they were all way over 1500. If you want something for this summer id get that GT if its still available unless you wanna keep checking the local classifieds for a decent deal on a better used bike but good luck getting something at a fair price, bikes are almost as bad as lumber
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

First of all determine what bike fits your criteria best. If you're mostly doing pavement and a bit off road, i would go for a gravel bike instead of a hardtail.

In my opinion, it’s probably best to save a bit more and get a proper bike. The difference between a $750 and a $1,500 bike is night and day. The components will be on another level, but more importantly the frame will have up to date geometry. Probably not the answer you’re looking for, but I just think that you need to have a certain level of bike to fully appreciate the sport and enjoy it to its fullest, and I don’t think a sportchek bike gets you there. Here’s a couple of examples of hardtails:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod195562
    https://www.commencalcanada.com/meta...21-c2x32930873
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ca/mountai...rahmenfarbe=GY
    https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/growler/2021

I’m a big fan of the Growler 20. Great frame with aggressive geometry, great price, and overall decent spec. Love the paintjob too.

And gravel bikes:

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/di...=290930-175291
    https://www.cannondale.com/en-ca/bik...loy/topstone-4

Good luck.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    First of all determine what bike fits your criteria best. If you're mostly doing pavement and a bit off road, i would go for a gravel bike instead of a hardtail.

In my opinion, it’s probably best to save a bit more and get a proper bike. The difference between a $750 and a $1,500 bike is night and day. The components will be on another level, but more importantly the frame will have up to date geometry. Probably not the answer you’re looking for, but I just think that you need to have a certain level of bike to fully appreciate the sport and enjoy it to its fullest, and I don’t think a sportchek bike gets you there. Here’s a couple of examples of hardtails:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod195562
    https://www.commencalcanada.com/meta...21-c2x32930873
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ca/mountai...rahmenfarbe=GY
    https://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/growler/2021

I’m a big fan of the Growler 20. Great frame with aggressive geometry, great price, and overall decent spec. Love the paintjob too.

And gravel bikes:

https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/di...=290930-175291
    https://www.cannondale.com/en-ca/bik...loy/topstone-4

Good luck.
    Thanks man. Sometimes you're at a place where you don't even know what to search, so this helps.
    I'll dig through the info and make a judgment call after I review everything.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Dont waste your time going to a bike shop if you dont wanna spend more than $1500, i havent been to one for about a month and even back then it was slim pickings. There was still some bikes but they were all way over 1500. If you want something for this summer id get that GT if its still available unless you wanna keep checking the local classifieds for a decent deal on a better used bike but good luck getting something at a fair price, bikes are almost as bad as lumber
    This could be a problem as well, lol. Even if I wanted to execute on some of dimi's suggestions, I don't think they have them in stock. I may start calling around.
    Last edited by Disoblige; 06-04-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 27 ... LastLast