Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As mentioned above you probably don't want to own a bike that has spent it's life as a rental, especially a DH rental. I'm all for a good deal on a pristine used bike but rental bikes are almost always absolutely trashed. I have seen so many DH bikes with almost invisible frame cracks too. Just be really careful if you go that route or make sure it's a steal of a deal.
    Fair.

I've done it in the past with good success.
    Rental bikes while ridden hard, are also maintained fairly decent.

Plus, most people who are renting bikes aren't going to riding them to their full potential anyways, they aren't going to be hucking 8+ foot drops. Especially on an all mountain bike.
    An area like gear hub will also have less traffic than a bike from the mountain itself.

Looked into the Winsport bikes last year sale. Not much of a sale. Plus they're probably dumped quite a bit and abused. Lots had braking issues which signal to me not as well maintained as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Fair.

I've done it in the past with good success.
    Rental bikes while ridden hard, are also maintained fairly decent.

Plus, most people who are renting bikes aren't going to riding them to their full potential anyways, they aren't going to be hucking 8+ foot drops. Especially on an all mountain bike.
    An area like gear hub will also have less traffic than a bike from the mountain itself.
    I find with rental bikes you get 2 kinds of people - the ones that are overly gentle but crash/drop a lot, just trying out DH for the first time or whatever and then you get the ones that think they are invincible on those 8ft drops haha - or they don't want to do that on their own bike, so they rent one to try the bigger/bolder stuff. They get crashed/dropped a lot too, which even if it's gentle, if something like the stanchions land on a rock they are gouged for good. When my friends and I used to rent DH bikes, the worry of damaging our expensive bikes was gone, and we did things we would have never done on our own bikes.

Buying a rental bike can be OK, but I would just recommend anyone doing so make sure they are getting a steal of a deal and you have it inspected by a shop that isn't selling it to you, unless you know what to look for yourself. Frames with hairline cracks are probably the easiest thing to miss and the most costly to deal with.

I'll also echo the above comment that rental bikes are not maintained well - every one I have ever rented (both DH and XC) was nowhere near up to spec, bad shifts, brakes and frame squealing the whole time, etc. Years ago a friend of ours was working at the bike rental shop at Panorama - they just make them rideable and send them out again because they are just going to get trashed over and over anyway.

I find with rental bikes you get 2 kinds of people - the ones that are overly gentle but crash/drop a lot, just trying out DH for the first time or whatever and then you get the ones that think they are invincible on those 8ft drops haha - or they don't want to do that on their own bike, so they rent one to try the bigger/bolder stuff. They get crashed/dropped a lot too, which even if it's gentle, if something like the stanchions land on a rock they are gouged for good. When my friends and I used to rent DH bikes, the worry of damaging our expensive bikes was gone, and we did things we would have never done on our own bikes.

Buying a rental bike can be OK, but I would just recommend anyone doing so make sure they are getting a steal of a deal and you have it inspected by a shop that isn't selling it to you, unless you know what to look for yourself. Frames with hairline cracks are probably the easiest thing to miss and the most costly to deal with.

I'll also echo the above comment that rental bikes are not maintained well - every one I have ever rented (both DH and XC) was nowhere near up to spec, bad shifts, brakes and frame squealing the whole time, etc. Years ago a friend of ours was working at the bike rental shop at Panorama - they just make them rideable and send them out again because they are just going to get trashed over and over anyway.
    the canmore shops have alot of stumpjumpers and trances, and there aren't bike parks to destroy them in... some black trails, but how many renters are going to be pedaling up there?

Fair enough.

Personally you couldn't pay me to buy a rental bike from C.O.P. Those bikes are rented out multiple times a day and get ridden hard.

The used bike I bought 10+ years ago was from Invermere. The smaller bike shops in smaller towns have a significantly lower rental rate compared to a large hill which is why I was comfortable with the purchase.

I owned that particular bike for 3+ years of hard riding before replacing it without any issues.

I just think you need to be aware at the end of the day before making the purchase.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I picked up a 2015 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 730 with updated 1x drivetrain for $850 with brand new tires from Canmore... was used by the armed forces or something... guy from one of the shops refreshed a bunch. Even grabbed a 2014 element for the gf for $450 at the same time. Besides regreasing some bushings on the thunderbolt and tightening the chainring bolts on the element they’ve been great

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

All this talking about mountain biking we should plan a group ride sometime....I'm always looking for people to get out with

My Ride
    '14 Taco

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/261...0&lastredirect

thoughts? I'm on the island next week for vacation so have been able to open up my range a fair bit

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/261...0&lastredirect

thoughts? I'm on the island next week for vacation so have been able to open up my range a fair bit
    Looks decent, but he didn't bother to clean the bike so its hard to tell from the pics - it was a $2,400 bike when it was new but the Norco archive shows slightly different specs than that guy is listing: https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/2016/fluid-72/

You may want something with closer to 150mm of travel rather than 120mm but that is up to you - just opens up your riding options a bit more. At $900 though there is room for some upgrades or repairs if needed.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Ok here's a better question, what is the mandatory checklist that i should go through if i do buy used, rather then get enamored and buy it right off the bat.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Ok here's a better question, what is the mandatory checklist that i should go through if i do buy used, rather then get enamored and buy it right off the bat.
    That is a well loved bike. Look at the brake levers. All the anodizing is worn off. It's filthy and the chain looks dry.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Was hoping it was just shitty photos but suspect you’re right. Guess I just need to be patient!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...67107943434700

He’d do 1600

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Just missed an XL Rocky Mountain Instinct C70 from the Nordic center. I rented it last week but apparently someone just put there name down for it. It was half price over MSRP and didn’t have a scratch on it.

My Ride
    '14 Subaru Impreza

+1 for the Giant Trance (or similar, but you'd be hard pressed to find anything as great of value). I had a 2017 Trance 2 and rode it for 2 seasons and absolutely loved it. I sold it in excellent condition with a few small upgrades for $2k even at the start of this year, so you might be able to find something close-ish to your budget. When I got it, I was mostly riding West Bragg but wanted to progress to more difficult stuff and figured that would be a good transition bike and it absolutely was. It was nimble and very pedal friendly for easier stuff like West Bragg and just slack enough with enough travel (for me) to be able to handle all the trails at Moose (granted I'm not doing huge jumps or drops). And at the time I couldn't find anything that was even remotely close to the value you got.

2 of my friends got new bikes this year and they both got them early in the season when the big shops are having their big sales. New bike, but prior season on sale was the route they went and it seemed like you could get 20%-35% (depending on brand and the sale, etc...) by going that route. Most of those are picked over by now though.

Somebody else mentioned that Sportchek is selling higher end GT models which is true, and they have Friends & Family sales basically every month for 25% off so that might be a route to consider, although it looks like they're now sold out of the cheaper GT Sensor that would've been closest to your budget. Also keep in mind that if you go the dept store route you won't have free tune-ups and stuff like that which the smaller shops offer. I do think BikeBros in Cochrane sells GT so perhaps worth inquiring with them regarding pricing and availability.

Dropper post is a must-have IMO. One of those things that you can't believe you ever rode without once you have one. A tubeless set up is nice too, and usually a pretty cheap upgrade. I think what type of bike really depends on what you want to do with it. If you're content on staying in West Bragg and never venturing out, even something like a Trance might be a bit overkill. Something with 130mm of travel would be plenty for that area. If you think you're the type of person who might want to branch out into more difficult stuff, then I'd look for something like the Trance with a bit more travel and a bit more slack so that you have the option of branching out where you ride without have to upgrade your bike right away.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Hooked on downhill, if anybody is selling bikes I’ve got a $10k budget for 2.

Loved the Scott Gambler, but thought the Trek Sessions was overall a better setup.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 08-06-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Hooked on downhill, if anybody is selling bikes I’ve got a $10k budget for 2.

Loved the Scott Gambler, but thought the Trek Sessions was overall a better setup.
    Finding a brand new 1-2 year old bike is probably your best bet to guarantee it's never been beat on (DH bikes get abused more than any other in my experience, and crashes at 50-60km/h aren't easy on the bikes). Should be easy to stay under $10K for two. Consider how often you will go every year as well, since renting isn't that expensive - if you only go a few times a year, and you aren't positive you'll be interested for many years, renting can still be a very good option with the added bonus of not having to care about the bike.

I'm a big fan of the Giant Glory DH bikes but there is a lot of good stuff out there. Staying away from the boutique brands that don't offer anything extra might save you some money as well.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks, Mitsu.

While I like the idea of renting, there is something to be said about having your own bike that you are comfortable and familiar with. It took a small learning curve to get used to the Gambler compared to the Sessions and I’d like to be riding the one that suits me best all the time. I figure we’ll both have paid off bikes after 2 years so that’s another reason for us to buy.

Finding a brand new 1-2 year old bike is probably your best bet to guarantee it's never been beat on (DH bikes get abused more than any other in my experience, and crashes at 50-60km/h aren't easy on the bikes). Should be easy to stay under $10K for two. Consider how often you will go every year as well, since renting isn't that expensive - if you only go a few times a year, and you aren't positive you'll be interested for many years, renting can still be a very good option with the added bonus of not having to care about the bike.

I'm a big fan of the Giant Glory DH bikes but there is a lot of good stuff out there. Staying away from the boutique brands that don't offer anything extra might save you some money as well.
    I also second the Glory, and the Specialized Demo is also a popular favorite

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Anybody? Looking at some used ones this week

Anybody? Looking at some used ones this week
    The best thing to do is take it to a shop you trust and have them look at it.

Other than that...

- Is it clean?
    - Any creaks in the frame joints (rear suspension linkage is the usual culprit here)
    - Do the brakes squeal? Does it feel like there is any air in the lines (Squishy)?
    - Is the chain and drivetrain clearly lubed? Or is it dry and packed with dirt or rust? You an use a chain wear gauge too.
    - Any uneven tire wear or cracks in the rubber?
    - Any hairline cracks/fractures in the frame?
    - Any scratches/gouges in the frame, fork stanchions, or fork legs?
    - Any decals worn/scratched off (sign of a crash)
    - Are the pedals/cranks beat up? (sign if being rammed into things)
    - Does it shift smooth throughout the entire gear range (full cassette on both rings) under load?
    - Is the derailleur hanger bent?
    - Any play or unusual sounds from the bottom bracket?
    - Rust on anything? (sign the bike has been put away wet or left out in the rain)
    - Do the wheels roll true with no wobble and no bent spokes? Bent rims are common. You can pluck the spokes like a guitar and get a rough idea if they are all the same tightness. Rock the wheels side to side to check for play.
    - Is everything on the bike tight and where it should be? Any play in the headset?
    - Any paint/finish/chrome/anodization worn off anywhere?
    - Check that the seat post moves freely and isn't packed with dirt or is rusty.
    - Use a flashlight and look into any of the tubes, if possible, to check for cracks or bends.

That's just off the top of my head, I am sure there are more things - again the best thing to do is have a bike shop to look at, should cost less than $100.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast