Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question - Can you walk into bike shops these days and ask for 25% off? Thanks!
    pretty sure they're even busier than business as usual, other than maybe the odd shops in Okotoks or Linden you'll find nothing other than the typical blowouts for previous year models.

Though I think the new line of trail downcountry bikes - Fuel Ex, Tallboy & Optics are going to be the In thing for a while - Money talks and I went a non-conventional way on a reasonably current bike for an incredible price.

Ended up with a almost new 2016 Divinci Hendrix 27.5+ @ 3.0 tires - 120/110. The cockpit and geo are still very current with 67HTA, 75STA and a reach of 464, a 45mm stem and a 780mm handlebar. The kit was surprisingly good on the bike with a GX/raceface drivetrain and it literally was like new.

Picked it up from an older fella for $1800 and there is less than 10 hours on it and based on ZERO scratches, the shape of chainring/cassette, crank arms and the knobs still on the tires etc.. absolutely, this thing was practically showroom new.

2 things that needed an upgrade - Dropper post, which I've already got a 125 reverb installed, and the Reba RL. That said, though the stanchions are small, it isn't as half as bad of a 32mm fork as I thought.. and so far I can't say that its impacting my riding.

Plus riding:
    Setup the suspension and Plus sized tires pressure down to 14/17 and wow! It did not feel nearly as precise as my 29er XC hardtail, but it made short work of the technical Banked wet roots at fish creek on the Evergreen side. I could rip through and climb with the most upmost traction,whereas even in a non-wet condition I'd have be very precise with balance body position and smooth pedaling just to get through.

Surprisingly the tire size is slightly larger in diameter than my 29x2.3 tires.. and though they feel vague, it really does monster truck through everything... like they roll very well, and yet you don't need to pick a line.

Riding her though hardpack snow was very good.. felt almost fatbike on groomed trails.

Its kinda too bad that this tire is really only being used for hardcore hardtail applications, but at least the rim size is reasonable @ 36mm, so I can run 27.5 x 2.6ers in the future, as well as just pick up some boost 29 wheels. That said, I don't think + sizes are bad ideas. The new 29x2.6 tires do such a good job, though they are becoming real monster truck sized.

anyways thank you all for your help and happy riding this year.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 04-21-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Congrats on the bike. If you change the fork, stick a 140 on it, and the hta will be on point. Tons of pikes/revelations for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    Congrats on the bike. If you change the fork, stick a 140 on it, and the hta will be on point. Tons of pikes/revelations for sale.
    apparently I can adjust to get another 10mm out of the rear monarch, and I agree a 130 or 140 Pike or Fox perform 36 would be bang on

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Anyone looking to sell a cheaper hardtail? Primarily for riding around with my kids... but figured used is better than Cdn Tire etc. Perhaps in the 500-1k range.. but lower the better.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Biked down in lethbridge yesterday for work (ya work perk!), everything is super dry down there! Fun time

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Anyone looking to sell a cheaper hardtail? Primarily for riding around with my kids... but figured used is better than Cdn Tire etc. Perhaps in the 500-1k range.. but lower the better.
    https://shop.calgarycycle.com/produc...5-363109-1.htm

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    That a decent bike? I think there is an upgraded version on kijiji as well...
    Thanks!

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Sport chek has a clearance sale until Sunday, April 26

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/...oductNumber=22

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Thanks!
    lots of good reviews on youtube.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Haven't been in Costco for a while, but I got the Northrock XC27 last year online for $315.

Thanks!
    With Trek this bike is basically the same as the original Gary Fisher 29er hardtails with "G2 Geometry" and much like their 29er hardtails the Marlin, X-caliber and Roscoe have different levels, represented by a number

The Marlin has the same geometry basically as the higher end sister bikes X-caliber and Roscoe BUT is missing a tapered headset and non-boost axels *note x-cal is a XC setup and Roscoe is more "trail" but essentially the same frame.

Its an old frame design, uses a 51mm offset fork, a 69deg HTA and a 72 STA but it still holds up, and its only "rowdy" hardtail bikes like Chromag, Kona Honzo (which is basically a hardtail process), Santa Cruz Chameleon, the new Norco Torrent and the new RM growler that have that long/slack geometries.

The Marlin will have parts on cheaper end of the spectrum and lacks upgrade-ability because of the frame limitations - rockshox or fox shocks are mostly Tapered headtubes and most rims are "boost" with a thru-axel, as opposed to the vintage 100 quick release 9mm, and 135mm rear 15 quick release)

Is it a good bike? Yes but basically any entry hard tail will be better than said CT/Walmart bike and will still let you hit up some green/bluish trails

For me the limiting element other than drivetrain (but that is upgrade-able) is mostly with the front fork all these entry bikes will all come with a really shitty SR suntour XCR shock and you might as well (IMO) have no front suspension.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 04-26-2020 at 08:00 PM.

I recommend the GT Pantera as a capable "cheap" bike alternative to the Marlin as it has 27.5 Plus, thru axel, tapered headset, so it is a Frame that is capable and upgradable

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/gt-...D=332486013_99

my friend has an Expert, I think he paid like $1249 for a 2019 -- came with a Solo Air, SLX 1x and really only needed a dropper and a better setup for the cockpit. It was a very competent fish creek hardtail

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Well I completely screwed up my bike purchase!
    Found what I thought was a decent deal on a 2 year old Kona Lanai... only to get it home and find out not only was it not the size advertised, but its also stolen. FML.

Dropped the bike off at the Police station and really hoping the bank can claw back my EMT. (They said it may be possible due to the fraudulent nature.) As for the frame size, it wasnt listed anywhere that I could see on the frame, but got out the tape measure at home and figured it out. So even if I wanted to be a dick and keep the bike, a small frame wont do me much good. Sometimes I really hate people. Seller knows the cops wont do shit, so could care less that I was going to call them andd hand over his info.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

How ya figure out it was stolen?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    How ya figure out it was stolen?
    sold by "Fred"?

My Ride
    TRD Pro

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Added some bling. No reason other than I like the oil slick of the AXS chain.

Name:  EE1A596B-0471-47B8-9E30-ECA1EE95E726.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  114.2 KB
    Name:  D80B9F0C-19B0-43F9-8FAF-FD936EDC37F5.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  118.5 KB

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

That’s sexy

Do you guys think chairlifts will be running this summer in BC for downhill?

I was thinking if we still have to keep up socially distancing, it will be tough with unloading and offloading people on each chair along with bikes. Hoping for the best..

A lot of bike parks have already announced they are not opening for the summer. Whistler is also very unlikely to open, never mind the smaller hills. Time to start climbing!

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Yeah, fuck!

If beyond wants to rent coast gravity park for a few days, I’m in.

Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 18 ... LastLast