Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

in the market still for my next bike, and I think there was another thread out there where I had posted my experiences. Things sure have came a long ways, though at the same time some thing haven't.

I love a rowdy hardtail, but after doing a bunch research.. I feel that a number of the new 27.5+ bikes are actually just a boost spacing of traditional 29er frame. Example of this is a Trek Roscoe, or the older Rocky Growler... which essentially are not much difference than say an old Gary Fisher G2 29er in geometry other than a shorter stem, wider bars, 40mm more travel and 141/148 axel. Even the Honzo that started this remains relatively unchanged and is now pretty much an XC bike

When comparing HTA, STA, chain stay, BB height, and actual "reach" from a 29er w/ 80/100mm fork to a new 27.5 with a 120/140mm fork- you realize that often the HTA and STA are slackened by the longer travel shock.

However the new new rowdy super long hardtail such as the new 2020 Growler, Chromag rootdown, mantis etc.. are awesome as they are actually redesigning frames to have similar reach to modern full squish, maybe even more slack HTA (because it decreases with sag/compression) and ridiculously steep Seat tube angles (>74) while retaining a super short chain stay.

I also wouldn't mind a full squish, but after riding my friends newish Bronson, I just can't see using all that suspension for my type of riding as I prefer flow than gnar and bike park. If I go down that path its definitely a new Tallboy, Fuel or Element.

Downcountry or a truly gnarly HT on a 29.6 tire
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 04-01-2020 at 12:15 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

That has been the progression for sure.

My 2017 Trek remedy, while slack didn't have a steep enough STA and going up steep sections was a struggle. That is with 160F/150R. With my 2019 Nomad (170/170) I have no issues feeling like the front was going to lift.

Everything is moving to short reach, short chain stay, slack head, steep seat. At least that is what I am seeing.

For once, I don't feel the need to upgrade my ride this year to what every the 2021 models are going to be. Last summer, I went Push/Push and I feel like it changed the bike so much it feels new.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Quote Originally Posted by r3ccOs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    in the market still for my next bike, and I think there was another thread out there where I had posted my experiences. Things sure have came a long ways, though at the same time some thing haven't.

I love a rowdy hardtail, but after doing a bunch research.. I feel that a number of the new 27.5+ bikes are actually just a boost spacing of traditional 29er frame. Example of this is a Trek Roscoe, or the older Rocky Growler... which essentially are not much difference than say an old Gary Fisher G2 29er in geometry other than a shorter stem, wider bars, 40mm more travel and 141/148 axel. Even the Honzo that started this remains relatively unchanged and is now pretty much an XC bike

When comparing HTA, STA, chain stay, BB height, and actual "reach" from a 29er w/ 80/100mm fork to a new 27.5 with a 120/140mm fork- you realize that often the HTA and STA are slackened by the longer travel shock.

However the new new rowdy super long hardtail such as the new 2020 Growler, Chromag rootdown, mantis etc.. are awesome as they are actually redesigning frames to have similar reach to modern full squish, maybe even more slack HTA (because it decreases with sag/compression) and ridiculously steep Seat tube angles (>74) while retaining a super short chain stay.

I also wouldn't mind a full squish, but after riding my friends newish Bronson, I just can't see using all that suspension for my type of riding as I prefer flow than gnar and bike park. If I go down that path its definitely a new Tallboy, Fuel or Element.

Downcountry or a truly gnarly HT on a 29.6 tire
    Don't forget Norco Torrent Steel https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/mou...torrent-ht-s2/

Pulled the 2019 Trance 3 I picked up from a rental shop in September out the other day, started dialing in the suspension, and installed the dropper post.
    It will definitely be a fun bike to get me in the swing of things! reminds me quite a bit of my old Norco 6.

I've ridden it three times (first time riding in 14 years), found some fun little 3 and 4' drops and a few 5-7 stair drops I've been re-learning technique with.

Once it warms up a little I'd like to head to the bike park in Chestermere and jump around a bit.

Very happy with it so far, especially considering it was only $1500.
    Depending how much park or larger stunts I end up doing I may out grow it in a year or two, at which point ill move into a Reign.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Pulled the 2019 Trance 3 I picked up from a rental shop in September out the other day, started dialing in the suspension, and installed the dropper post.
    It will definitely be a fun bike to get me in the swing of things! reminds me quite a bit of my old Norco 6.

I've ridden it three times (first time riding in 14 years), found some fun little 3 and 4' drops and a few 5-7 stair drops I've been re-learning technique with.

Once it warms up a little I'd like to head to the bike park in Chestermere and jump around a bit.

Very happy with it so far, especially considering it was only $1500.
    Depending how much park or larger stunts I end up doing I may out grow it in a year or two, at which point ill move into a Reign.
    not going to lie -- the Giant Trance first off has been a rock solid bike since the old 26er days, and a value leader to date. Those used ones from the rental stores, where they usually put back on the factory dropper -- are such good value for dollar.

Trance 3 is a killer value, new let alone "slightly" used. People don't realize that the higher end (but waay cheaper than SRAM or FOX) SR Suntour Aion, Axon are very nice single side air shocks. Deore 1x10 will shift as good as anyone would need, the MT400s will be more than good enough for most, and the geo of the Trances with the Maestro setup is still on point -- in fact almost everyone is going to variable pivot points again.

There's a ton of options in that sub $3k CAD price range for a FS bike nowadays. Fuel EX 5, Trance 3, Stumpjumper, Meta TR etc.

The problem isn't going to be the bike, rather the options for trails in a month or so.....

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

The Marin Hawk Hill 2 is a good budget full suspension at the moment and there has been some great reviews about it.

https://www.marinbikes.com/ca/bikes/20-hawk-hill-2

Sportchek has 25% off “everything” at the moment. So that includes their GT bikes. A Carbon FS can be had for around 3k. Not sure how good they are compared to a similarly priced alloy Giant Trance.

If anyone rides an XL, Pedalhead has a 2019 Giant Reign 2 for sale for $2600! Absolute steal of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
    Sportchek has 25% off “everything” at the moment. So that includes their GT bikes. A Carbon FS can be had for around 3k. Not sure how good they are compared to a similarly priced alloy Giant Trance.
    skills with Phil and Hans Rey both ride Sensors and Force bikes - they are still very solid

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

After Calgary finest took my spanky new BC Edition A50, insurance came thru and I got a Rocky Instinct BC C90
    Last edited by SkiBum5.0; 04-08-2020 at 03:47 PM.

So I'm going to pull the plug on a bike.

Problem is.. which one still.

I think ultimately I really enjoy the tall boy -- buy a SC Tallboy alloy spec'd with the goodies I want is almost twice the price of a Giant Anthem 1 or Trance 2 (29).

I think I want a 29er but there are 27.5 options for very good prices -- that said, 1x12 SLX with Fox float 34 on a Trance 2 29 for $3250 is so tough to beat, and it will do pretty much anything I want (one bike quiver!)

Any other recommendations? I like the Tallboy and probably wouldn't need more suspension -- but it seems its the only real "downcountry" bike in its class compared to say the RM Element, Trek Fuel or Giant Anthem.. but maybe I'm wrong?

Sounds dumb but I want good enough suspension to be able to ride roots uphill properly but overall I'm not looking for an enduro monster.

Also saw a sweet Chromag build on pinkbike, but... those Rowdy Hardtails (new Norco Torrent, RM Growlers) may not be the right bike if I'm already losing traction climbing.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Check out the Norco Optic or the Devinci Django. Great rippers, short travel 29'ers, with the new geometry.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

$3200 would get you a RM Instinct. Hit up Bike Shop and ask if any 2019’s are left. That’s be the A50, I’d avoid the A30.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    $3200 would get you a RM Instinct. Hit up Bike Shop and ask if any 2019’s are left. That’s be the A50, I’d avoid the A30.
    its like between drivetrain, suspension and manufacturer that I think you have to compromise with this price point.

Want a good frame and sus from a good company - then you're SLX/NX or below - Norco Optic

If you want good drivetrain and good sus - then you're talking Giant lol - Trance 2

If you want good company and good drivetrain - then you compromise on the fork allot... i.e. GX but with a shitty reba - Specialized Stumppys

If you want all 3 - you're pricing yourself into the $4K plus for alloy EASY... i.e. Santacruz IBIS Yeti Pivot

anyways... I'm definately now thinking Trance 2, Optik, Fuel, Stumpjumper

OR a Torrent, Rootdown Growler

Get the one with the best frame and most suitable geometry for what you ride. Everything else is upgradable and customizable.

Out of the bikes you mentioned the Optic C3 would be my choice. Most versatile bike by far. Great trail bike, but it has the geometry for more extreme terrain. Its a bit outside your price range ($4,499 at bow) but I'm certain they'll do discounts. Carbon frame, great geometry, amazing suspension (pike select + superdeluxe....) and the rest of the components are solid. Reviews are all amazing.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I got a giant trance advanced 2 last year, and I love it. I can’t give a comparison but it’s been great so far.

What do you guys do for locking the bike up in the garage, or even hanging the bike. I’m trying to be clever but the best I’ve seen is steady rack. Right now I’m using a hook and bike lock around a 2x6

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    Get the one with the best frame and most suitable geometry for what you ride. Everything else is upgradable and customizable.

Out of the bikes you mentioned the Optic C3 would be my choice. Most versatile bike by far. Great trail bike, but it has the geometry for more extreme terrain. Its a bit outside your price range ($4,499 at bow) but I'm certain they'll do discounts. Carbon frame, great geometry, amazing suspension (pike select + superdeluxe....) and the rest of the components are solid. Reviews are all amazing.
    wow.. Trail Bikes are a whole in-between evolution at the moment

What was "short travel" bikes are no longer short travel, and what was "trail" may now be short travel.

pre 2020 Bikes:
    With the 29ers trail bikes I would say that it would be common to find a 120/130 front to a 110-120 rear for a "trail" bike with HTA of 66-68

Whereby the older XC/Trail centric Element, Tallboy, Fuel Ex, Optic would be in a 110/120 - 100/110 rear and the HTA of 67-68.5

the new 2020 Bikes

Most Trail bikes like the Stumpy, Hightower, etc.. are now pushing 140/150 front and. a 130->140 rear with a HTA of 64-66

The new XC/Trail bikes, Tallboy, Fuel, Optic - is definitely 120/130 front and 120/130 rear and the HTA most surprisingly is super slack at 65-67 and huge reach from 460-480mm

Now this is confusing as the Trance 2 29 - is supposed to be a "trail" bike, but now its "trail" geo as of this year is more akin to theses downcountry bikes at just 115rear/130 front and a HTA of 66.5

Is bigger better though?

For instance, I can land a really good deal on a 2019 Norco Optic C2 or A1, but in comparison to the new Optic, it is significantly more steep on the HTA and 10mm less suspension around.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 04-20-2020 at 11:17 AM.

The Trance 29 has the same geometry as my 4 year old 29er. It’s not a bad thing, it’s just the best value bike option, and therefore Giant aren’t going to be updating its geometry annually. The value makes it a very popular bike and a great all around-er as you can see on this forum.

Go rent a Stumpy from Bowcycle, $80 a day, and you’ll get a feel for a new geometry bike. In fact, for anyone going riding < 10 times a year, I would highly recommend that option, as you’re riding a $6,000 bike that’s always tuned up, and that you don’t have to maintain or worry about. Or do a demo day, if those even happen this year.

Edit: The aluminum/2019 carbon optic has not been updated, so I would personally steer away from that and get a lower spec 2020.
    Last edited by dimi; 04-21-2020 at 12:06 PM.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Question - Can you walk into bike shops these days and ask for 25% off? Thanks!

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast