Quantcast
The MTB Thread - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The MTB Thread

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I ordered a wheelset from probikekit 2 months or so ago with no problem. I do notice that shipping has been very slow lately. I think there is a bottle neck at the canadian custom. You may be looking at a month unless you choose brokerage like DHL or whatnot.

My Ride
    Wankels!

Online shipping is slower for sure - took 3 weeks to get an order from Probikekit just now.

Had a good night last night doing laps down Berm Blaster in Fish Creek.
    Found a couple neat little built features off to the left of the trail.

It was definitely slippery though and I need to upgrade my pedals. Any recommendations? Will need something quite grippy.

Tons of options, but I would recommend composite/nylon pedals. 1/3 of the price, just as durable, just as light, and will not be harsh when you do pedal strike. The only downside is the platform will be a bit thicker. On my third year of oneup and I love them.
    Last edited by dimi; 06-30-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tons of options, but I would recommend composite/nylon pedals. 1/3 of the price, just as durable, just as light, and will not be harsh when you do pedal strike. The only downside is the platform will be a bit thicker. On my third year of oneup and I love them.
    I was just looking into composite pedals, had no idea they existed! wild...

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

another vote for OneUp pedals. I have the alum ones, not composite.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

If you guys are in the Crowsnest, make sure you go ride Berma-grin at Powderkeg. You can do a full lap bottom to top and down in under 20 minutes. Super easy access using the road vs climbing the downhill trail.. so flowly, nice features.. i'd ride that every day if i was down there. We rode that and Chainsaw Massacre and chainsaw felt very 'green' for a blue trail (and im only on my first full year with MTB). I hear buck-50 is supposed to be great too, but never got over to it
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 06-30-2020 at 12:56 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Here is an odd one.

Got my chain replaced in April. I was told the old one was only 25% worn. Shifting was kinda shit.

Put the bike up on the stand and played with the barrel adjuster and can get it to shift super crisp up and down.

When I put weight on the rear suspension and am actually riding it, I get delays up shifting from 4 to 5 (bigger to smaller gear), 5 to 6, 6 to 7 and 7 to 8. 1-4 seems fine and 9-12 seem fine too. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Here is an odd one.

Got my chain replaced in April. I was told the old one was only 25% worn. Shifting was kinda shit.

Put the bike up on the stand and played with the barrel adjuster and can get it to shift super crisp up and down.

When I put weight on the rear suspension and am actually riding it, I get delays up shifting from 4 to 5 (bigger to smaller gear), 5 to 6, 6 to 7 and 7 to 8. 1-4 seems fine and 9-12 seem fine too. Any ideas?
    Is something bent? derailleur hanger, or body?

Edit: Also last question for the day, SHOES. I know in the past when I rode DH I simply wore a skate shoe without issues...
    So what is everyone wearing for a shoe? I don't really want to fork out $200 for 5-10's or am I being too cheap as BavarianBeast pointed out to me last night lol.

Here is an odd one.

My guess is that they messed up your chain length from what was on it before. Double check your limit screws, if its delayed going up then it would be the h-limit screw, check if it lines up with your smallest cog properly, my guess is that it's going to be a little too much to the outside.

Here is an odd one.

hrm... there are many things like a bend derailler hanger... In past, when I had broke a chain, replaced it... I've had to replace cassettes cause of "skipping" but not necessarily delays

If nothing is bent, your screws on your derailleur should still be set fine, and all you need to do is go to the lowest gear on the shifter, turn the barrel on the shifter down to maybe 2-3 from fully closed, and then just make sure the cable attached to the rear mech isn't too tight, but not too lose - adjust if necessary

then just adjust everything with the barrel adjuster so that it pulls up and down accordingly

as to Pedals... I was always a fan of clipless and used Crankbro's DH mallets. After a few nasty bails, I've moved to flats, and have used NRG peals and now use Chesters. The Chesters are really good and being thinner has reduced my pedal strikes actually, but it isn't as wide of a platform... but its a great "Trail" pedal as its so much lighter as well

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    If you guys are in the Crowsnest, make sure you go ride Berma-grin at Powderkeg. You can do a full lap bottom to top and down in under 20 minutes. Super easy access using the road vs climbing the downhill trail.. so flowly, nice features.. i'd ride that every day if i was down there. We rode that and Chainsaw Massacre and chainsaw felt very 'green' for a blue trail (and im only on my first full year with MTB). I hear buck-50 is supposed to be great too, but never got over to it
    I was looking at that area, can’t figure out though if you can shuttle for a lot of that stuff or not?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I was looking at that area, can’t figure out though if you can shuttle for a lot of that stuff or not?
    You could shuttle to the bottom of the ski hill (like 1 min from drop into bermagrin), but it's literally a 12 minute ride at a pretty easy pace. Stuff higherup is pretty easy riding too

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    You could shuttle to the bottom of the ski hill (like 1 min from drop into bermagrin), but it's literally a 12 minute ride at a pretty easy pace. Stuff higherup is pretty easy riding too
    Oh, yeah that’s pretty quick haha, I guess a trail/XC bike is sufficient then? ... I think I’m mixing it up with York Creek, though? That one appears to have some sort of road that twists up to the top (way longer trails) but can’t decide if it’s open to traffic or not based on my very limited research!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I was riding it on my trance 3 so yes?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Checking out a few bike parks lately and it’s basically the same as pre-covid.

Whistler seems most stringent and makes you put on a mask when in line up, loading and unloading chairlifts. Bigger jump trails like A-line, dirt merchant and crabapple hits are closed because they are too high risk and whistler doesn’t want to be sending too many people to the hospital during the pandemic I guess.....

Does anyone here ride with Bear Spray?
    When I was last at moose I saw quite a few people with it... likely not a bad idea.
    But I'd be scared of it potentially deploying in a fall... If so, how are you securing it?

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Does anyone here ride with Bear Spray?
    When I was last at moose I saw quite a few people with it... likely not a bad idea.
    But I'd be scared of it potentially deploying in a fall... If so, how are you securing it?
    I've been riding with mine in a BearCozy for years, I know that there are opinions on this as if you get away from your bike it isn't going to do you any good.

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Is something bent? derailleur hanger, or body?

Edit: Also last question for the day, SHOES. I know in the past when I rode DH I simply wore a skate shoe without issues...
    So what is everyone wearing for a shoe? I don't really want to fork out $200 for 5-10's or am I being too cheap as BavarianBeast pointed out to me last night lol.
    You're being cheap, 5-10s are like ski boots, you should have them, they're way better than anything else.

E bikes ride way sloppier than a real MTB. I can see the draw but I can't get past the extra weight until I'm 70
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast