Quantcast
Garage Pad Expansion? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garage Pad Expansion?

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Default Garage Pad Expansion?

Building my first home right now which comes with a 20x21 pad. Asked about the cost to upgrade to a 22x24 pad and that came out to $5000 which I have a hard time wrapping my head around, in my mind it’s hard to justify that for an extra 6sqft? Is it possible to extend a garage pad at all or would I have to rip it out and repour?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Building my first home right now which comes with a 20x21 pad. Asked about the cost to upgrade to a 22x24 pad and that came out to $5000 which I have a hard time wrapping my head around, in my mind it’s hard to justify that for an extra 6sqft? Is it possible to extend a garage pad at all or would I have to rip it out and repour?
    That's 108 extra square feet there, Marth.
    But it's still a criminal hose job unless it's like 8" thick. Do they tell you what the initial pad cost is?
    It's possible to add to a pad but to add such a tiny area to the perimeter where the frame of the building will actually sit is getting a bit controversial.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 07-30-2019 at 07:06 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I would spend a lot more than 5 grand to expand my garage to those dimensions FWIW.

Having a small garage is a huge PIA, mine is 19x19 interior dimensions and you essentially either store cars in there or other things, not both.

Also you would be hard pressed to fit a half ton in 20x21, which will affect resale.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I have problems getting my phat ass out of my cars in a 22x24. That is why I downsized to 20x21and park in the field. I put the extra $5k I saved into a GIC earning 3.5% a year. Blinging.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Larger garage is very valuable to your lifestyle. But that cost is insane. Ask home builder to skip garage and give you credit and use your own contractor for a better price.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    is faster than yours

Are they saying $5k more just for the extra concrete or to make the entire garage bigger?

If it’s just the pad, that’s a massive ripoff. I’m building an extra garage for my truck and plow along with other machines and it’s $5,200 for a 30x16 concrete pad with the edges thickened to 12”.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Ask home builder to skip garage and give you credit and use your own contractor for a better price.
    This. That's essentially what we did and it was actually pretty significant. The accounted for something like 22k for a 20x20 garage, where I got a 24X26 for 25k (no wiring, no heat, and no interior finishing). I think the total concrete pad of my garage came to like 7g. Even the sales lady told me that their costs were ridiculously overpriced and she'd rather cut the cost from the sale of the house.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    Are they saying $5k more just for the extra concrete or to make the entire garage bigger?
    Actually that's a good point. If its to make the whole garage bigger then 5g isn't terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    *The First*

Yeah, I interpreted it as "I will charge you an extra $5k if you want it a tiny bit bigger".

Not, "your overall charge will jump to $5k and that buys you a 22'x24' pad."

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

The initial 20x21 pad is included, so I interpret it as $5k to extend it to a 22’x24’ pad. They didn’t give me a cost for the base pad either.

My Ride
    *The First*

The initial 20x21 pad is included, so I interpret it as $5k to extend it to a 22’x24’ pad. They didn’t give me a cost for the base pad either.
    Then that's fucked and do as ExtraSlow said.
    Your credit should be roughly double the cost of the concrete. Maybe $3-4k credit.
    I thought concrete was roughly $350/m^3, but I can never remember.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Then that's fucked and do as ExtraSlow said.
    Your credit should be roughly double the cost of the concrete. Maybe $3-4k credit.
    I thought concrete was roughly $350/m^3, but I can never remember.
    Yeah that’s what I thought. If I read what ExtraSlow said correctly, it’s to get them to not pour a pad at all and credit me for that, which I put towards my own contractor?

My Ride
    4x4

Can I ask a ridiculous question?

Not defending builder - but gotta ask, what's the property line / frontage like? If I was quoting a pad and the dimensions put us into needing easement on eaves distance / sqft of lot etc - I'd be making sure to include those extra costs into the pad price.

My Ride
    *The First*

Yeah that’s what I thought. If I read what ExtraSlow said correctly, it’s to get them to not pour a pad at all and credit me for that, which I put towards my own contractor?
    Yes. Your 20x21 should be about 140-150ft^3 of concrete at 4" thick which is about 4.16m^3.
    Figure out what that concrete costs, double it and that should roughly be your credit.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Can I ask a ridiculous question?

Not defending builder - but gotta ask, what's the property line / frontage like? If I was quoting a pad and the dimensions put us into needing easement on eaves distance / sqft of lot etc - I'd be making sure to include those extra costs into the pad price.
    Good call, could be more going on here than is obvious from just extra materials standpoint.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Name:  s3GSj2X.png
Views: 304
Size:  39.2 KB

That's the lot, 30' in the front and 36' in the back. The little box beside the 36 is the side the garage would be on, but the builder is willing to put in a 22x24 without issue so I don't think easements or anything like that would be an issue.
    No-go on the "no pad but credit me" scheme either.
    If I do the Marth and divide the total square footage of 22x24 by the $5k, I come out to $9ish/sqft, which seems like the high going rate based off my few minutes of google?
    Found an old thread here where someone was asking about pad extensions as well, sounds like it can be done at least...

My Ride
    *The First*

That's the lot, 30' in the front and 36' in the back. The little box beside the 36 is the side the garage would be on, but the builder is willing to put in a 22x24 without issue so I don't think easements or anything like that would be an issue.
    If I do the Marth and divide the total square footage of 22x24 by the $5k, I come out to $9ish/sqft, which seems like the high going rate based off my few minutes of google?
    Found an old thread here where someone was asking about pad extensions as well, sounds like it can be done at least...
    I see the problem.
    This property is in Guinea! You had portrayed it as if we were talking a property in Calgary, or at least Southern Alberta!
    You can't compare concrete TIC between Guinea and Calgary!

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I see the problem.
    This property is in Guinea! You had portrayed it as if we were talking a property in Calgary, or at least Southern Alberta!
    You can't compare concrete TIC between Guinea and Calgary!

That math doesn't make sense. Unless I'm still reading this wrong? Sounds like you already are paying for 20x21 in your home purchase. The 5k is extra charge for an extra 108sqft of concrete. Which is 46$/sqft, Going rate for finished concrete is 11$/sqft. If they are removing your original concrete cost for 20x21, and changing it to 5k for a 22x24 pad instead, then jump on that. $9.5/sqft is pretty good if they aren't going to cut corners and cheap out on rebar and concrete thickness.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It was never clarified if they were charging for just the larger pad or for the entire larger garage.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    That math doesn't make sense. Unless I'm still reading this wrong? Sounds like you already are paying for 20x21 in your home purchase. The 5k is extra charge for an extra 108sqft of concrete. Which is 46$/sqft, Going rate for finished concrete is 11$/sqft. If they are removing your original concrete cost for 20x21, and changing it to 5k for a 22x24 pad instead, then jump on that. $9.5/sqft is pretty good if they aren't going to cut corners and cheap out on rebar and concrete thickness.
    No, you read it right, they’re charging me $46/sqft. They also won’t credit me back the cost for the included 20x21 pad which blows.
    It was never clarified if they were charging for just the larger pad or for the entire larger garage.
    Sorry, thought it was clear, they’re charging to add 108sqft to the included 20x21 pad. There’s no construction going on top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast