Quantcast
Garage overload - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage overload

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Small House and large garage is a double win.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    45% of land coverage, so depends on the size of the hoouse.
    There's also a cap on garages of ~750sq feet AND it can't be larger than the house. But yeah a triple garage on a 50x125 is super easy to get approved.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    What do you guys think something like this would cost? $350/sqf AG? We like the idea of having a larger lot with a walk-out basement and massive garage(s) that backs onto a park with view.

$450K (Lot) + $300/sqf X 2250sqf + $30K Detached Garage + $?? demolition (old house) = $1.2M?
    $300/sqf is probably a bit high, unless you want high end finishes. I have talked with some builders and it gets as low as $200/sqf. Budget $225/sqf and you are probably fine. This doesn't get into a few extras.

We've been pricing this a while, and you are not far off on the whole. Most inner City neighborhoods for a 2200-2400 square foot house with an oversized garage will be approximately $1.2-1.3M, but can go higher depending on what neighborhood you want.

That house in North Haven I understand has some very high end finishes, in most places that price is spot on. It's just that there are not many houses in that value range in that neighborhood right now, so it's a tough sell. It may cause others to do similar types of development, but I suspect that house will be the highest priced house in North Haven for at least a decade if it sells around there.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    There's also a cap on garages of ~750sq feet
    75 m2 (807 sq. ft.) is the max allowable for a detached.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    75 m2 (807 sq. ft.) is the max allowable for a detached.
    Ahh thanks. Knew it was in that area hence the ~. 807 sq feet is pretty huge though.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Ahh thanks. Knew it was in that area hence the ~. 807 sq feet is pretty huge though.
    807 (24'x33' is a common size just under that sqft) is a good size but I can assure you you'll eventually still find yourself wishing you had more space. We're like a gas, we expand to fill our containers.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    $300/sqf is probably a bit high, unless you want high end finishes. I have talked with some builders and it gets as low as $200/sqf. Budget $225/sqf and you are probably fine. This doesn't get into a few extras.

We've been pricing this a while, and you are not far off on the whole. Most inner City neighborhoods for a 2200-2400 square foot house with an oversized garage will be approximately $1.2-1.3M, but can go higher depending on what neighborhood you want.

That house in North Haven I understand has some very high end finishes, in most places that price is spot on. It's just that there are not many houses in that value range in that neighborhood right now, so it's a tough sell. It may cause others to do similar types of development, but I suspect that house will be the highest priced house in North Haven for at least a decade if it sells around there.
    I promise I won't get into this again, but $300psf is definitely way high for that house. Not to mention that building at that price would make these guys the world's worst house-flippers.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

807 (24'x33' is a common size just under that sqft) is a good size but I can assure you you'll eventually still find yourself wishing you had more space. We're like a gas, we expand to fill our containers.
    mines 26x28 and i wish i had more space.. only thing i have in there is the car, dirt bike, parts and tools

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    I promise I won't get into this again, but $300psf is definitely way high for that house. Not to mention that building at that price would make these guys the world's worst house-flippers.
    Yes, not trying to beat it to death, but that square footage for that home is quite high. I just regret not finding a lot like that for that kind of price. I think I would have jumped on that immediately.

When I say 1.2-1.3 that's for a two storey, 2200 square foot home with a 3 car garage, which is in the realm of possible if you don't get out of hand with finishes.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    mines 26x28 and i wish i had more space.. only thing i have in there is the car, dirt bike, parts and tools
    Yep, it's inevitable unless you're the type that just parks their cars in there and nothing else. I still manage to park our three vehicles in my 24x33 along with all my tools and equipment on the perimeter but I have to be really efficient with storage. If I started parking one on the street I could fit a mill....

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

It is a downdraft range. Useless for asian cooking lol
    Downdraft is for people who don't cook with flavour.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Downdraft is for people who don't cook with flavour.
    +1, downdraft is brutal.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

and this is why development permits exist!

(I agree. My 32'x25' is too small).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Build entire house on 2nd and 3rd floors, and make entire main floor a garage. profit.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    Yes, not trying to beat it to death, but that square footage for that home is quite high. I just regret not finding a lot like that for that kind of price. I think I would have jumped on that immediately.

When I say 1.2-1.3 that's for a two storey, 2200 square foot home with a 3 car garage, which is in the realm of possible if you don't get out of hand with finishes.
    I was guesstimating $300/sqf AG because it's a bungalow with a fully developed basement, not 2 story home. At $200 it would be $450K build, which seems awfully low. It sounds like either way it's ~ $600-700K build. Something we are keeping in mind as we plan our next home, which will likely be our forever home until we become empty nesters.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    and this is why development permits exist!

(I agree. My 32'x25' is too small).
    True! Gotta pay to play in that department.

My Ride

I was guesstimating $300/sqf AG because it's a bungalow with a fully developed basement, not 2 story home. At $200 it would be $450K build, which seems awfully low. It sounds like either way it's ~ $600-700K build. Something we are keeping in mind as we plan our next home, which will likely be our forever home until we become empty nesters.
    Oh yeah, if it's a bungalow then you are probably correct in that cost per square foot. General rule of thumb is that square footage on the second floor is half the cost of the main floor. I have seen a few homes at $200/sqft and they are quite decent.

We are kind of in the same boat. Trying to find the right property and build a home we want to be in even to just past retirement, so at least 20-25 years.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Went to this open house in North Haven the other day - dream garage

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ry-north-haven

A double detached that's 35'x23 and a double attached that's 32'x22' with a 12' ceiling.
    Not on realtor.ca anymore. Wonder if it's C/S or if the listing just expired.

We walked through it on an open house. Nice place- but the shortcomings that were covered plus the excessive number of rooms of the basement meant it wasn't for us.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Yeah anyone know if it's C/S or just expired listing?

Wife and I went to the open house too last weekend and she absolutely loved the layout of a bungalow + walkout basement on a large lot that backs onto a park. There were quite a few things we would need to do for that house to work for us, and combining that w/ the list price it was just too $$.

That said... it sounds like our plan now is to keep an eye out for a similar lot that that we can eventually build our forever home on top, or If this house ever get relisted again for the right price.

My Ride
    Canyonero

Yeah anyone know if it's C/S or just expired listing?

Wife and I went to the open house too last weekend and she absolutely loved the layout of a bungalow + walkout basement on a large lot that backs onto a park. There were quite a few things we would need to do for that house to work for us, and combining that w/ the list price it was just too $$.

That said... it sounds like our plan now is to keep an eye out for a similar lot that that we can eventually build our forever home on top, or If this house ever get relisted again for the right price.
    Hahah. I think we walked through at the same time. Was she on facetime with family? My wife speculated you must have bought the place today. The realtor mentioned you were also from Cambrian Heights. We're just up the road from you...

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast