Quantcast
Garage overload - Page 12 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 324

Thread: Garage overload

  1. #221
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    770
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I grew up one street over from here, wish I could afford this place (or the house I grew up in).
    I grew up a block or so from there as well. It is a good neighbourhood. Lots are big and close to downtown by today's standard. I am surprised that the property tax is only ~$4700 for a $1M home... must be a perk for living in the inner city...

  2. #222
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    19 G70, 07 S2000
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloud7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I grew up a block or so from there as well. It is a good neighbourhood. Lots are big and close to downtown by today's standard. I am surprised that the property tax is only ~$4700 for a $1M home... must be a perk for living in the inner city...
    That's cause it's assessed value is $650k. It's someone trying to take advantage of a hot market, can't blame them. I would say it's not worth what they are asking, but someone may pay it, just need to find the right greater fool.

    Edit: Just did the math, they are asking close to $600/sq foot. That's close to if not above the cost of building new. Lots in that area aren't that much money, when you can find them. You just may not always get two 2 car garages.
    Last edited by Cagare; 03-31-2021 at 12:43 PM.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eddy
    My Ride
    G37X Coupe
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's cause it's assessed value is $650k. It's someone trying to take advantage of a hot market, can't blame them. I would say it's not worth what they are asking, but someone may pay it, just need to find the right greater fool.

    Edit: Just did the math, they are asking close to $600/sq foot. That's close to if not above the cost of building new. Lots in that area aren't that much money, when you can find them. You just may not always get two 2 car garages.
    Not at all the seller's tactic and they recognize it's not for everyone. When you say lots are not that much money, 71 Cromwell is listed at 650K for 100m2 less lot to work with. Now let's have some fun with numbers using that 650K, so removing land value and looking at the cost to build new it's $218/sq ft with the main floor area, adding the fully finished basement into the mix comes out to ~$100/sqft.
    Does that seem like such a bad deal? Say what you want about the floor plan, shower, etc.. neither the seller nor the buyer are fools in this situation, just people with specific tastes, which don't match yours.

  4. #224
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    19 G70, 07 S2000
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blainer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not at all the seller's tactic and they recognize it's not for everyone. When you say lots are not that much money, 71 Cromwell is listed at 650K for 100m2 less lot to work with. Now let's have some fun with numbers using that 650K, so removing land value and looking at the cost to build new it's $218/sq ft with the main floor area, adding the fully finished basement into the mix comes out to ~$100/sqft.
    Does that seem like such a bad deal? Say what you want about the floor plan, shower, etc.. neither the seller nor the buyer are fools in this situation, just people with specific tastes, which don't match yours.
    Listing and selling are two different things. Again, stupid hot market this spring so that lot next door may sell for close to 600k, but it has an assessed value of bouncing around $500k +/- since 2007. Again, things are only worth what people are willing to pay. But in the past few years, in most neighbourhoods, we have been closer to assessed value than not.

    Also, that's relating to new builds. Let's look at the overview on Collingwood. In the past 5 years the average sold price per square foot is $470. The average list value this year is $570/square foot and if they sell to 98% of list, which is the average of that neighbourhood, that's still $559/square foot.

    None of this is meant to be an insult. This is the exact right time to sell a detached home in this City and I don't know how long this will keep up.. I have seen some homes go for values that don't make sense a whole lot of sense to me. This is across the board, all types of houses, not just ones that don't match my tastes.

  5. #225
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eddy
    My Ride
    G37X Coupe
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Understood but selling for lot value is easy to compare to recently sold comparable properties so I want to believe that sellers/RE agents are able to be accurate (+/-5%) with those properties.

    Mind sharing the data source? I'm curious to see a graph of the distribution of $/sq ft for Collingwood. Thinking about it from the neighbourhood perspective, I believe it'd be bimodal with new builds at one end and lot values at the other so the average doesn't really work well for either type.

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Camaro SS 1LE, CTS-V, F-150
    Posts
    2,433
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Got my builder to put in the biggest possible triple tandem garage they could, just over 700sqft, now the garage looks disproportionate to the house


  7. #227
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,068
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    That's ridiculous.

    Ridiculously Awesome.
    Let's all work on positivity this week.

  8. #228
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    19 G70, 07 S2000
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blainer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Understood but selling for lot value is easy to compare to recently sold comparable properties so I want to believe that sellers/RE agents are able to be accurate (+/-5%) with those properties.

    Mind sharing the data source? I'm curious to see a graph of the distribution of $/sq ft for Collingwood. Thinking about it from the neighbourhood perspective, I believe it'd be bimodal with new builds at one end and lot values at the other so the average doesn't really work well for either type.
    You can tweak all the data you want here. There were a range of homes sold in Collingwood and you could expand it as well. The interesting thing is if you look in the last 2 years the price per square foot is lower, I looked over a 5 year cycle, which has been fairly consistent. The 10 year cycle is a similar average with some spikes around $500/sq foot. The highest price per square foot comes with building/redevelopment lots, and the lowest is typically on your larger homes, which makes sense.

    https://www.bode.ca/market-data?province=AB&city=Calgary&transactionDate=2%20years&community=Collingwood&propertyType=Detached&yearBuilt=2010-2015,2015-2020,2020-2021,2000-2010,1990-2000,1970-1990,1950-1970,1925-1950,1900-1925


    Pricing has been aggressive across the board for new listings this year in desirable locations. A lot of people that bought building lots last year are trying to flip them for 20% more 6 months later as well. We have been shopping pretty hard since early last year, prices bottomed out around October/November and started climbing aggressively in the past 2 months. Not that I consider a home an investment, but it does hold a portion of my net worth and I am not interested in getting in during a short term inflation in value. I had thought about selling and renting but the home value I currently have has not climbed enough to justify that risk or the hassle of 2 moves.

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2007 4Runner
    Posts
    142
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got my builder to put in the biggest possible triple tandem garage they could, just over 700sqft, now the garage looks disproportionate to the house
    I hope that one of those rear attach garage homes?

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Camaro SS 1LE, CTS-V, F-150
    Posts
    2,433
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kjonus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope that one of those rear attach garage homes?
    Yah it is, it's a courtyard style house with more of a side yard than a traditional back yard so it's a pretty efficient use of space and we're happy with it.

  11. #231
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North North Dakota
    My Ride
    MuricaMuscle
    Posts
    218
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 94boosted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got my builder to put in the biggest possible triple tandem garage they could, just over 700sqft, now the garage looks disproportionate to the house
    Oh hell yes! Too late to add some windows to that side? Natural light is the bomb.

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    499
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Holy, is that the front of the house or the back?
    *edit: I'm assuming that's the back, with a rear attached. That's amazing!
    Last edited by S-FLY; 04-04-2021 at 01:17 PM.

  13. #233
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Camaro SS 1LE, CTS-V, F-150
    Posts
    2,433
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh hell yes! Too late to add some windows to that side? Natural light is the bomb.
    I added one 4' x 4' window to the other side for a bit of natural light and most importantly had them double the amount of light fixtures to make sure it's nice and bright in there.

    Quote Originally Posted by S-FLY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Holy, is that the front of the house or the back?
    *edit: I'm assuming that's the back, with a rear attached. That's amazing!
    Yup that's the back.

  14. #234
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    F10M/ F87/ NA2/ W220/ VOLVO V90/KTM RC390
    Posts
    5,731
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    https://www.remax.ca/ab/calgary-real...d292358876-lst

    sick rear garage setup, overpriced imo... That garage alone isnt worth 150k over

  15. #235
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,068
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Breakfast with a view of your trailer. I'll take it.
    Let's all work on positivity this week.

  16. #236
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Built Ford Tough
    Posts
    3,097
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.remax.ca/ab/calgary-real...d292358876-lst

    sick rear garage setup, overpriced imo... That garage alone isnt worth 150k over
    Put the cars in your offer then

  17. #237
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    F10M/ F87/ NA2/ W220/ VOLVO V90/KTM RC390
    Posts
    5,731
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Put the cars in your offer then
    Selling wants an extra 6k for that lift to stay as well... lmao..

    Someone here must know him, a huge Mustang guy.

  18. #238
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6
    Posts
    2,700
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team_Mclaren View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Selling wants an extra 6k for that lift to stay as well... lmao..

    Someone here must know him, a huge Mustang guy.
    I saw that when it popped up. I don’t think it’s 150k over, the lot is quite large.

    It’s taking advantage of the bubble right now - sure - but is that not a 700k setup?

    House is not bad, 2440sqft.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

    -H.P. Lovecraft

  19. #239
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,441
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    That’s a lot of mustangs.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  20. #240
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    calgary, alberta, canada
    My Ride
    Lezbox
    Posts
    5,522
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s a lot of mustangs.
    This, I’d get bored as hell with 3 of the same car
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tile for Garage? Make garage bigger?

    By Hakkola in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
  2. Speeding car hits tree and first garage, comes to rest in second garage

    By Markham in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM
  3. Garage doors - if you're still planning that garage...

    By AndyL in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 24
    Latest Threads: 11-02-2010, 10:02 PM
  4. One Car Garage vs. Two Car Garage

    By fordo_11 in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 27
    Latest Threads: 07-11-2006, 11:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •