Quantcast
Cell network speed - does it matter to you? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Cell Network speed

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • DOESN'T matter to me - I like the slow lifestyle.

    9 33.33%
  • DOES matter to me AND I can explain why (post below)

    13 48.15%
  • DOES matter to me, but I can't explain why.

    5 18.52%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Cell network speed - does it matter to you?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,092
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Cell network speed - does it matter to you?

    Wanted to separate this discussion out of the several other threads. Cell networks are getting faster, and while more speed must be a good thing, how much does it matter to you? I currently have Public Mobile, which throttled to what they call "3G" speed. That throttling has been brought up several times a big problem for people, but I just don't get it. I can stream music, or watch youtube videos without buffering, so to me, that's plenty fast enough. What are people doing with their phones that they need more speed than this?

    Vote in the poll.
    Double-meat sub dreams.
    Public Mobile referral code: 88M4Y9

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,547
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    My phone is basically a communication device and that is it. I don't play much for games or Youtube on it at all.

    If I need to do anything large like that.. I'll just go on a wifi connection somewhere.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Secret City, Alberta
    My Ride
    2018 Civic Si
    Posts
    477
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    My reason for it not mattering to me isn't because I like the slow lifestyle (cuz I do), I just like my money. I don't need high speed or high data caps, I'm almost always on wifi. If I can save $20/month on something I almost never use it's a no brainer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,897
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    It's my mobile office. Need good bandwidth to support webex and google apps. Also the random tether here and there. Non work stuff, facetime is a big one that needs the speed.

    I rely on speed so often that travelling outside of Canada it feels like I'm back to 3G performance in other countries, even in the US. We're so spoiled here with mobile network performance.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,224
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Highest speed possible, please.

    I tether via my phone all the time. Am not always in a situation where I've got high-speed. I work 100% online and need fast internet, always.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,647
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Makes a big difference and is noticeable even just browsing the web.

    When you go to a country with properly fast 100-150Mbps LTE/4G you notice it even more.

    With data being so cheap now if you BYOD, the faster the better.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Technically the NE
    My Ride
    C63S + AT4
    Posts
    4,137
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    It’s not something I worry about, but then again my network is fast. As far as I can tell my cel network is faster than anything I need it for.

    I wouldn’t want it to be slow though.

    Hard to answer the question for me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    8,118
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    The key is latency, not bandwidth.

    I think I can get away with 20-30Mbps as long as latency is low.

    Public mobile is no good at 3Mbps since I tether for work and that's way too slow.

    For now, I don't see a need for 5G or Gbps speed. I have a feeling that 5G is really for visual surveillance, then real consumer demand.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-01-2019 at 01:43 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,804
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:36 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,659
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    It's a noticeable difference when i'm in an area that doesn't have LTE and have to fall back to 3G. I pay a premium for a high end fast phone so i don't want to bottlenecked by shitty internet speed.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cochrane, AB
    Posts
    1,808
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With data being so cheap now if you BYOD, the faster the better.
    Oh man are we ever conditioned to getting the shaft from mobile companies in canada lol.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    1,679
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Next thread titles:

    "150hp...the perfect amount of horsepower. Agree?"


    and


    "Cruising in the left lane is acceptable as long as you are going the speed limit."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,647
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh man are we ever conditioned to getting the shaft from mobile companies in canada lol.
    Yup, pricing here for mobile/cable/internet are crazy high relative to other areas of the world, but as you say we're used to it haha.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    One from Affalterbach and Louisville
    Posts
    8,978
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Next thread titles:

    "150hp...the perfect amount of horsepower. Agree?"


    and


    "Cruising in the left lane is acceptable as long as you are going the speed limit."
    Do I need Internet 750 at home? Do I need 750 upload? Do I need a 400hp 7 passenger SUV? Do I need a 600+hp wagon? Do I need a 170mm carbon bicycle?

    Nope.

    Does network speed matter? No. Do I want the fastest? YEP

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,897
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For now, I don't see a need for 5G or Gbps speed. I have a feeling that 5G is really for visual surveillance, then real consumer demand.
    5G is absolutely necessary for things like concerts and hockey games here, or any major city in the US. There’s not enough bandwidth available for large concentration of users. We just don’t experience it very often because we’re so sparsely populated.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,092
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Next thread titles:

    "150hp...the perfect amount of horsepower. Agree?"
    and
    "Cruising in the left lane is acceptable as long as you are going the speed limit."
    You are reading my mind.
    Double-meat sub dreams.
    Public Mobile referral code: 88M4Y9

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    There is no such thing as too much speed. That being said, they need to make a 100km/h scooter.
    Fly me to the moon.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Protege 5 Turbo / Ecoboost FX4
    Posts
    1,119
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I travel a lot and hate hotel wifi. Need high speed LTE at the very minimum for PornHub HD. I wouldn’t wanna try 4K, I’m sure it would buffer at exactly the wrong time if you know what I mean...

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    100% Bow tie
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Fast is good be it cars, motorcycles, internet, women or whatever.
    Moran supreme

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,718
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    For me, nah.

    I only really use my phone for texting and reading the news so I don't need a lot of speed for that. Surfing the web, reading/writing emails, watching videos, etc really aren't my thing on cell phone screens and I only do it when I have to. Because of that, I really can't tell the difference between 4G and LTE speeds cause what I use it for just doesn't require the speed. That said, I know I'm an outlier compared to like 90%+ of smart phone users.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Home networking, does Gigabit speed matter?

    By ExtraSlow in forum Computer Help Desk
    Replies: 27
    Latest Threads: 02-27-2019, 12:25 AM
  2. How much does brand name matter when buying electronics?

    By Chim in forum Computers, Consoles, and other Electronics
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 12-23-2004, 07:48 PM
  3. does weight matter in mustang dyno?

    By sml in forum Mechanical
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 06-26-2003, 09:43 PM
  4. how much does weight matter???

    By ME_VS_YOU in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 23
    Latest Threads: 09-09-2002, 03:16 PM
  5. does the brand of CAI matter?

    By TomTom in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 08-13-2002, 08:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •