Quantcast
Etransfer Scam? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Etransfer Scam?

have you accepted his offer to see this through yet? Or have you asked to meet the person in real life to see their response?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

He stopped answer at the words bank draft lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    V8s

I had 2 or 3 identical "offers" in the first day my ISF was listed. This is a common scam, the mechanics of which I'm not sure on, but the earlier post about the transfer then refund rings a bell. Either way, I just kept saying to meet me in person and they wouldn't so I told them to fuck off.

For some reason every person that tried this shit with me asked me what condition the paint was in haha.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I had 2 or 3 identical "offers" in the first day my ISF was listed. This is a common scam, the mechanics of which I'm not sure on, but the earlier post about the transfer then refund rings a bell. Either way, I just kept saying to meet me in person and they wouldn't so I told them to fuck off.

For some reason every person that tried this shit with me asked me what condition the paint was in haha.
    I liked the questions on “is the car rusty”

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by MR2-3SGTE View Post
    Etransfers can be reversed by the bank if there is fraud involved. Often times these guys use other peoples hacked bank accounts and even though the etransfer might be completed, the bank can reverse it once they figure out it was fraudulently made. I would never do it for a large purchase unless you verify their ID and that the account belongs to them
    I'm not sure the specific circumstances of reversals...but my guess is it is not easy for the bank to reverse anything if you are not directly party to the fraud. But I'm not sure the interac TOS.

Either way, my opinion is a wire, or GTFO. Wires definitely cannot be reversed.

Having said that, I may just fire up a burner bank account that I use only for large transactions.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I'm not sure the specific circumstances of reversals...but my guess is it is not easy for the bank to reverse anything if you are not directly party to the fraud. But I'm not sure the interac TOS.

Having said that, I may just fire up a burner bank account that I use only for large transactions.
    Is it bad that I don't have enough faith in my bank to not fuck this up?

fact.

emts used to be extremely popular for fraud purposes many years back. Fraudsters would dump all sorts of transfers from hacked accounts into someones account and then withdraw all the cash. They did this with no issues for the longest time.

Theres definitely more safety checks in place now but I'd be curious to know how the banks would deal with issues.

If you've done nothing other then accept a payment you havent done anything wrong.

Apparently etransfers can be reversed depending on bank discretion. I'm part of a few buy and sell festival ticket groups on FB and hearing about people that were scammed via etransfers getting their money back.

Quote Originally Posted by muse017 View Post
    He will probably send you a link of Interec E transfer lol
    This is what will happen. Then he gets your banking info and he's gone...

$70K for something sight unseen?? C'mon... Ignore the guy.
    You'll show it in person tell him to pick the day and time.

My Ride
    E90

This is worrying as I accept this on occasion for transactions in the sub 5k range. Maybe bank transfer will be what I'll do going forward unless i'm prepared to accept the reversal.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    Apparently etransfers can be reversed depending on bank discretion. I'm part of a few buy and sell festival ticket groups on FB and hearing about people that were scammed via etransfers getting their money back.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This is what will happen. Then he gets your banking info and he's gone...

$70K for something sight unseen?? C'mon... Ignore the guy.
    You'll show it in person tell him to pick the day and time.
    Wait, do people still manually accept interac transfers still?

wow

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I'd really need to see the mechanism they use to justify this. Is it in the interac TOS? (Maybe it is). On the other hand, I doubt interac would be very happy to allow reversals as it substantially impacts the faith in their product/system. Why would people accept e-transfers if it is also an acceptance of making some ELSE whole for the failures of a 3rd party to protect themselves (or their customers). I have no doubt that a bank has made whole the person who was defrauded, but I but it is rare/non-existent that the banks have taken money out of a seller's account. Does the interac system and the associated banks require that a seller does due diligence and determine the source of funds? That makes no sense. It also sets up a much easier system to defraud the banks (give your interac info to a friend, then claim fraud after).

Getting your money BACK is a much different claim than suggesting the bank reached into the seller's account.

Quote Originally Posted by civicHB View Post
    This is worrying as I accept this on occasion for transactions in the sub 5k range. Maybe bank transfer will be what I'll do going forward unless i'm prepared to accept the reversal.
    i think as long as you're honest you're probably OK. From what i understand the cases i was seeing were known scammers.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd really need to see the mechanism they use to justify this. Is it in the interac TOS? (Maybe it is). On the other hand, I doubt interac would be very happy to allow reversals as it substantially impacts the faith in their product/system. Why would people accept e-transfers if it is also an acceptance of making some ELSE whole for the failures of a 3rd party to protect themselves (or their customers). I have no doubt that a bank has made whole the person who was defrauded, but I but it is rare/non-existent that the banks have taken money out of a seller's account. Does the interac system and the associated banks require that a seller does due diligence and determine the source of funds? That makes no sense. It also sets up a much easier system to defraud the banks (give your interac info to a friend, then claim fraud after).

Getting your money BACK is a much different claim than suggesting the bank reached into the seller's account.
    you're right, i don't know for sure if the money was reversed out of the receiving person's account. Just what i read was that the buyers got their money back. It could very well have been out of the bank's "customer service" write off fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    The fact you even posted this when he offered to do 20 e-transfers should make you feel a bit silly lol.

Someone who is spending 70k but too cheap to do a bank draft is either a complete idiot or scammer.

Have a good long weekend
    What's silly about wanting to know how a scam works?

My guess is it's like any of these other paypal scams. They send you a fake or fraudulent transfer, then change their mind or accidentally overpay you. They request a transfer as return or for the difference of the overpayment. Now they have your real money, and you're up shit creek when the bank cancels their transfer upon realizing it is from a fake draft or check scam.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3