Quantcast
Career progression in this economy - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Career progression in this economy

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Default Career progression in this economy

With current state of economy which has lasted half a decade, I've been pretty lucky to have a job. I was promoted through this phase but it has certainly taken a lot to stay ahead, pick up new tech, saving costs and just generally be the go to person. Having said that, next phase of OG looks to be even tougher and I do have serious concerns about how low the progression looks like going fwd.

Now, I'm curious how others are going about building a career. What else is there other than OG? Those who've left OG, what are you doing now? What do you plan to do in next 3-5 years that's different?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Automation is always relevant and transferable outside of O&G.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Follow your passion and not just money. If youre over 35 you should have a good handle on where you can focus and excel (or not).

Once you've figured that out, then you can pick something thats more money-driven (specialization).

My Ride
    ute

leave Canada, ASAP.

My Ride
    15,000 red line

Can't. Have to support baby boomers and pay for kids education.

Quote Originally Posted by ragu View Post
    Can't. Have to support baby boomers and pay for kids education.
    Thank you.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

What do you do exactly?
    O&G is very vague to determine your transferable skills.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I know where this view comes from it - did it in 2016. I’ve just moved back to accept a new position with a different company that is better in every way. Earning potential over the long term is worse, but in the end we made the family decision to raise kids in Canada. Career progression in Canada is limited only because there are only so many companies, and positions for people to move up into. I think you get really good at one or two things, show a desire to outwork your peers and you’ll be fine in Canada

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Control systems / automation is still plenty busy. Know of a bunch of companies all still hiring teams for projects

My Ride
    Random cars

Genuinely curious on some perspectives RE: ‘career progression’ these days. Asking partially based on some trends I am seeing (in our firm) but also based on trying to better understand expectations etc.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I’ve been pretty fortunate in the sense that I’ve known what I’ve wanted to do ever since I was young and I spent my teenage / college years working towards that field. Now that I’m well established, it’s nice knowing that I’ll likely never have to look for another job and just sit back and enjoy collecting years of service and a pension until I retire.

Not saying that to sound like a dick, just answering the OP’s question. Both my parents worked in oil and gas and both made very successful careers out of it before retiring in the last decade, however seeing what they did really encouraged me to pursue a career away from O&G. The office life is just not for me. I sympathize with just about everyone who’s been affected by the downturn in the oil industry, I know especially in Calgary it’s tough.

What advice I can offer is what’s already been mentioned above: go after something that you’re passionate about. Even when I’m working it doesn’t feel like I’m “working.” I look forward to it most days.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

I feel like I’m a few years behind you, so this shortage better continue haha.

I’ve got a great gig in Toronto now, and looking forward to the next step while enjoying this one. I’ll be at 1000 hours by the end of summer and should get my ass to a regional airline soooooon.

I consider myself lucky as well, but I have had no problem progressing in O&G. The market isn't great but there is still a ton of work to be done and a lot of production that needs to move. Lots of baby boomers are retiring right now and that opens up higher level positions. If I had a kid looking for work, I might not steer him/her to O&G but for those of us already in it, it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I fully plan on finishing my career in O&G but I guess that isn't up to me at the end of the day haha.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 95EagleAWD View Post
    I feel like I’m a few years behind you, so this shortage better continue haha.

I’ve got a great gig in Toronto now, and looking forward to the next step while enjoying this one. I’ll be at 1000 hours by the end of summer and should get my ass to a regional airline soooooon.
    You know that in Asia right now, they are paying INSANE $$$ for bush pilots from Canada? You know, the ones who can actually FLY a fucking airplane hands on? (instead of pushing buttons and reading a chart). HUGE problem with pilots there who just go through the motions but know very little about HAND flying.

Senior captains (777, etc.) were getting offered something like 1/2 million $$ a year in China for eg. (as a contract pilot).

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    You know that in Asia right now, they are paying INSANE $$$ for bush pilots from Canada? You know, the ones who can actually FLY a fucking airplane hands on? (instead of pushing buttons and reading a chart). HUGE problem with pilots there who just go through the motions but know very little about HAND flying.

Senior captains (777, etc.) were getting offered something like 1/2 million $$ a year in China for eg. (as a contract pilot).
    Then you have to live in China, which would suck a lot.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 95EagleAWD View Post
    Then you have to live in China, which would suck a lot.
    Its not JUST China. All over SE Asia. ALL of the carriers are hiring. You could easily move into the heavies very quick. Skip all the regional BS here in North America.

Plus China is very good if you have connections and status (which you would, as a pilot).

If I was young pilot, mostly single - that would be a great experience.

However, avoid the Arab airlines though - they pay good but treat you like garbage.
    Last edited by revelations; 08-08-2019 at 11:08 AM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Maybe if you could live in Japan or something, that would be cool.
    Agreed living in China would be terrible.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Regarding the O&G landscape right now, Canada is still a tough place to make much "progression" on both the producer and service side of things. However, if you are currently employed, now is a great time to make sure you are really learning things and differentiating yourself from your peers. Get to the field as much as you can, get some complimentary skills in data science, public speaking, sales or management (cheap online courses in all of these). Read SPE papers and keep up on best practices from other regions even if you can't implement them in your current projects. Get overseas or USA experience if you can.

Level advancement will come in a few years, but if you aren't working now for it, it won't come to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Regarding the O&G landscape right now, Canada is still a tough place to make much "progression" on both the producer and service side of things. However, if you are currently employed, now is a great time to make sure you are really learning things and differentiating yourself from your peers. Get to the field as much as you can, get some complimentary skills in data science, public speaking, sales or management (cheap online courses in all of these). Read SPE papers and keep up on best practices from other regions even if you can't implement them in your current projects. Get overseas or USA experience if you can.

Level advancement will come in a few years, but if you aren't working now for it, it won't come to you.
    Do you think Udemy and other such online carriers are a good place for some of these courses? or are there others...

Cheers.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Coursera, udemy, Khan, really it doesn't matter where you get the course from, because you aren't doing it for the certification in most cases. If it's anything to do with coding or data science, you also want to built up your portfolio in the developer communities (stackexchange etc)

Actually, if you want someone to critique specific courses or learning platforms, those communities would be the place to ask that question.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast