Quantcast
Road Rage: Would you file a police report? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Rage: Would you file a police report?

Default Road Rage: Would you file a police report?

I was driving home last night and I needed to get over two lanes to make the exit. I signaled right to get into the first lane and was trying to get over again to get into the lane i needed to but people were travelling fast and were not letting me in.

The car behind me started to honk and go up my tail and flashing his headlights, i waved sorry and i got over finally. He then decided he woudl pull up beside me and give me the finger so I gave it back. He then tried to run me off the road by "attempting" to side swipe me.

I then started to follow him to get a picture of his plate and his face. When i pulled up beside him to get a picture of him he gave me the finger again and tried to fake swerve into me. I have a picture of him giving me the finger, his face, and his plate.

Suggestions?

Does anything ever come this anyways?

If you had a dash cam, they could have given him a dangerous driving ticket. But alas, there's no ticket for giving people the finger.
    Your word against his goes nowhere.

"I needed to get over 2 lanes to make the exit"

Sounds like solid driving practice right there.

Did you cut him off to try and make the exit? I'm assuming you did if he got that upset and you mention "people were driving too fast and not letting me in" in which I assume is the right lane. So you were moving slowly.

I'd be wary of a distracted driving ticket if you go to the police.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was driving home last night and I needed to get over two lanes to make the exit. I signaled right to get into the first lane and was trying to get over again to get into the lane i needed to but people were travelling fast and were not letting me in.

The car behind me started to honk and go up my tail and flashing his headlights, i waved sorry and i got over finally. He then decided he woudl pull up beside me and give me the finger so I gave it back. He then tried to run me off the road by "attempting" to side swipe me.

I then started to follow him to get a picture of his plate and his face. When i pulled up beside him to get a picture of him he gave me the finger again and tried to fake swerve into me. I have a picture of him giving me the finger, his face, and his plate.

Suggestions?

Does anything ever come this anyways?
    So 3 chances for you to alleviate the situation but you ignored them and instead do this:

1. Not acknowledging you were going to miss the exit due to poor planning and taking a safer option
    2. Giving the finger back to someone even though you were in the wrong in the first place and causing more aggravation
    3. Start taking photos while operating a vehicle

Dunno man... You didn't help the situation at all it seems.

I wasnt trying to finger you d00d. I just got my nails done and wanted to show them off. Also sorry for riding you, i dropped a cheeto and was tryna dig it out from underneath my floor mat.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    1. Not acknowledging you were going to miss the exit due to poor planning and taking a safer option
    Nobody is obligated to let you in. You as a driver need to have confidence in what you're doing, but instead you don't and you are causing havoc on the roads.
    I assume if he was riding you it's because you are going hazardly slow in the left (FAST) lane.
    Per above, you need to plan properly instead of expecting people to let you in whenever and wherever you want.

Related: I saw a car come to a complete stop in the middle of a busy road literally just yesterday. Why? Because when there was no more traffic, THEN she signaled left to travel 2 lanes into the turning lane.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I've come to the consensus that most of the drivers on Beyond are terrible
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    "I needed to get over 2 lanes to make the exit"

Sounds like solid driving practice right there.

Did you cut him off to try and make the exit? I'm assuming you did if he got that upset and you mention "people were driving too fast and not letting me in" in which I assume is the right lane. So you were moving slowly.

I'd be wary of a distracted driving ticket if you go to the police.
    there was lots of room from the light to get over 2 lanes. Sound like you're making assumptions but whatever my question is if its worth it to make a police report not even you believe my story or not.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Sounds like your very typical road rage - both drivers are idiots. You should go to a district office and admit you were a dbag yourself and they will give you a stern talking to.

Never, ever escalate anything on the road. Low IQ drivers are everywhere and will not hesitate to injure you with their 3000lb hunk of metal.

So 3 chances for you to alleviate the situation but you ignored them and instead do this:

2. Giving the finger back to someone even though you were in the wrong in the first place and causing more aggravation
    3. Start taking photos while operating a vehicle

Dunno man... You didn't help the situation at all it seems.
    No I didn't help the situation by fingering him back but emotions got the best of me. Taking a picture is what I needed to do....if you saw a crime in program for example do you tell yourself "oh no, i should not take a pic with my phone cause its illegal?" if this was the other way around people would vent why didn't i take a picture.

Anyways I'm purchasing a dash cam to avoid these type of situations.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Taking a picture is what I needed to do....if you saw a crime in program for example do you tell yourself "oh no, i should not take a pic with my phone cause its illegal?" if this was the other way around people would vent why didn't i take a picture.
    lol, what are you talking about? What crime did this person do?
    It really shows your entitlement when you say you "need" to do certain things.

Yes!

lol, what are you talking about? What crime did this person do?
    It really shows your entitlement when you say you "need" to do certain things.

Yes!
    Trying to side swipe my car and run me off the road is not a crime?!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No I didn't help the situation by fingering him back but emotions got the best of me. Taking a picture is what I needed to do....if you saw a crime in program for example do you tell yourself "oh no, i should not take a pic with my phone cause its illegal?" if this was the other way around people would vent why didn't i take a picture.

Your actions after you "let your emotions get the best of you" are the very definition of distracted driving. Cops won't care about this other driver because you have no proof, and there was no collision or injury. Funny enough, the only crime there is proof of is your distracted driving. Learn to control your emotions better and do better next time bud.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Dash cam won't help you avoid these type of situations. Keeping a cool head will. If you can't make the turn off, keep moving and take the next one or another detour. The world doesn't end.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Your actions after you "let your emotions get the best of you" are the very definition of distracted driving. Cops won't care about this other driver because you have no proof, and there was no collision or injury. Funny enough, the only crime there is proof of is your distracted driving. Learn to control your emotions better and do better next time bud.
    Are you serious?! you don't see him trying to intimate me by rear ending me and going up my ass and then trying to side swipe not being a crime and you focus on me taking a picture of him and his plate in case i report to the police as the only crime? Interesting perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    If you can't make the turn off, keep moving and take the next one or another detour. The world doesn't end.
    The best advice by far! I got into a very serious road rage incident a few years ago over me missing a turn and im lucky to be sitting here typing this instead of somewhere else. It started with a simple horn honk and finger and within 5 minutes i was being arrested
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmira View Post
    Dash cam won't help you avoid these type of situations. Keeping a cool head will. If you can't make the turn off, keep moving and take the next one or another detour. The world doesn't end.
    Yes, i completely agree with you. I should not have reacted the way I did with giving him the finger back. I had initially waved to say sorry and it seemed he got more angry. I also didn't NEED to get over, i could have got the next exit if nobody let me know which is why i didn't force it. The word NEED should be replaced with WANTED.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Are you serious?! you don't see him trying to intimate me by rear ending me and going up my ass and then trying to side swipe not being a crime and you focus on me taking a picture of him and his plate in case i report to the police as the only crime? Interesting perspective.
    You have a picture of a motorist give you a finger, and you expect to walk into the CPS office and make all kinds of accusations about road rage, and expect them to take you seriously?

Without video evidence, you are just wasting everyones' time, including your own.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I wasn't there, and I have no doubt the guy was an asshole who deserves all sorts of bad things. What I'm trying to do is be realistic. You can't prove anything, and the cops won't care what you say. The only thing you control when you are driving is your own actions, so that's why I'm suggesting you focus on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast