Quantcast
Cruise Control - Do you use it..? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you use Cruise Control when driving west to BC?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    73 86.90%
  • No

    11 13.10%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78

Thread: Cruise Control - Do you use it..?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,897
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pf0sh0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Adaptive cruise FTW.

    Anyone ever use it during traffic on work commutes? The odd time I would, but I don't battle much traffic anymore.
    All the time. I feel like a barely drive on my commute these days. Only drive when there’s fun off ramps and corners when there’s no traffic.

    Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a rental BMW 128d estate in Europe a few years back and it had a top speed limiter that you could set, so you could drive with your foot or cruise but it would limit your max speed when passing etc if you floored it. Is this option/ feature common? I haven’t seen it on other vehicles since.
    My car sorta has this. Set the top limit to be +x kmh above speed limit (it recognizes speed signs so it always knows the current limit) but it only warns. In Europe it’s actually a real speed limiter. Must be a European only thing because of legislation.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  2. #42
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    09 Civic Si::95 Integra 4dr::Nikon D90
    Posts
    3,597
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    I'm in Seattle right now and driving on the I-5 is really something. No one cares about KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS. I'm talking about outside of the city. I just found out today it's legal to jump in and out of the HOV lane if you want to pass someone if you're in the HOV lane. It's illegal when there's a double solid. I thought people were just dicks doing that before. Not sure if the same rule applies in Vancouver but I did that too. All this annoying driving habit happens in Vancouver too. Must be the the Pacific breeze. I do have to say that Vancouver/Richmond drivers are pretty good at backing into parking stalls.
    Last edited by CRXguy; 08-07-2019 at 06:58 PM.


  3. #43
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    09 Civic Si::95 Integra 4dr::Nikon D90
    Posts
    3,597
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    People going 40 over in BC passing lanes are annoying as fuck, especially when cops are camping at the end of the lanes. I saw 6 cops on the way out to Kamloops, all 6 camped at the end of the lanes ticketing and towing cars. Fuck BC.
    I left last Thursday trying to beat the long weekend rush. I think it was around Revelstoke where I almost got busted a couple times as I pulled out to pass. First time I've ever seen them camp like that. After Kamloops, it was smooth sailing. Set cruise to +10 and relaxed the rest of the way.


  4. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,804
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:34 PM.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Blackfalds aka north RD, AB
    My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck
    Posts
    905
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Adaptive cruise with lane keep assist and you're good to go with eating a foot long from Subway.

    jk.
    96 Ram 1500-Sold
    03 RSX-S-Sold
    03 350Z-Sold
    07 CBR 600RR-Sold
    11 Honda Fury-Sold
    14 CBR 1000RR-Sold
    14 Ram 1500-Current
    14 Optima LX-Sold
    15 Victory Highball-Current
    15 Genesis 3.8 Ultimate-Current
    18 Husky 701SM-Current

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    CTS-V, Trackhawk
    Posts
    917
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think 90_Shelby means an adjustable speed limiter, so you can set it to say 105km/h, turn it on, and you wouldn't accidentally go faster than that until you turned it off.
    Correct, thatís what I meant. I could set the limiter 20 above a speed limit of 110, floor it and it would not go over 130 for example. This would be a great feature for BC to stay out of the tow zone.

    As Rage mentioned, perhaps itís a Europe only thing? I thought my cars simply werenít fancy enough.
    I like neat cars.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    20,897
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I left last Thursday trying to beat the long weekend rush. I think it was around Revelstoke where I almost got busted a couple times as I pulled out to pass. First time I've ever seen them camp like that. After Kamloops, it was smooth sailing. Set cruise to +10 and relaxed the rest of the way.
    I left a day after you, probably the same asshole cops haha.

    Sad to say, I drive out to Kamloops often enough to realize it’s the norm and not the exception. 400+ hp mandatory to pass in BC for a reason.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    Zonda CRV
    Posts
    560
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I left last Thursday trying to beat the long weekend rush. I think it was around Revelstoke where I almost got busted a couple times as I pulled out to pass. First time I've ever seen them camp like that. After Kamloops, it was smooth sailing. Set cruise to +10 and relaxed the rest of the way.
    I left Thursday too but stopped in Golden for the night. The Friday drive was actually pretty decent. I filled up at Costco in Kamloops. I needed to use the toilet but did not fancy going to the Shell...I drove around and I discovered the nicest private washrooms. It was like your own private boudoir.

    The I5 expressway was fun. It felt like Need for Speed. I jumped in the HOV lane a few times. I had no idea it was illegal to jump like that. I did it to overtake the slow cars.

    I could not get over that there was always a McDonalds at every exit. Like WTF?

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    09 Civic Si::95 Integra 4dr::Nikon D90
    Posts
    3,597
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I left Thursday too but stopped in Golden for the night. The Friday drive was actually pretty decent. I filled up at Costco in Kamloops. I needed to use the toilet but did not fancy going to the Shell...I drove around and I discovered the nicest private washrooms. It was like your own private boudoir.

    The I5 expressway was fun. It felt like Need for Speed. I jumped in the HOV lane a few times. I had no idea it was illegal to jump like that. I did it to overtake the slow cars.

    I could not get over that there was always a McDonalds at every exit. Like WTF?
    The kids and I were packed and ready to go at 5AM Thursday morning. Next time I go to Van, I'm just gonna leave after work and stop in Kamloops for the night. Must be getting old because I was pooped after driving in one straight shot(10.5hrs with breakfast/lunch/pee breaks).

    I've noticed the last couple years travelling down south is that McD's not even popular down there. I see more traffic at Burger King and Carl's Jr.


  10. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,804
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:34 PM.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    100% Bow tie
    Posts
    2,606
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Using cruise control in the city, I didn't think many people do it. On stretches like Centre Street coming out of downtown, I'll flip the cruise control on, too easy to speed up that hill and too often cops waiting for speeders. Set cruise and good to go, I'll even use cruise in longer playground zones although 30kph is iffy to engage.
    Moran supreme

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    253
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I left a day after you, probably the same asshole cops haha.

    Sad to say, I drive out to Kamloops often enough to realize itís the norm and not the exception. 400+ hp mandatory to pass in BC for a reason.
    And I left a day after you, laser traps both ways on the passing lane stretch right before Revy. I see those cocksuckers there every time I go to BC it seems.


    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I drove around and I discovered the nicest private washrooms. It was like your own private boudoir.
    My bathroom secret is to just stop at a hotel if there is one at my gas stop(which there generally is). The lobby always has clean bathrooms with nobody in them. Have a nice peaceful dump without dodging curlys and piss all over the toilet seat.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    C5Z, Duramax
    Posts
    5,996
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    I left Calgary 4pm Friday and the only police I saw where set up in Malakwa.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is easy to spot
    Posts
    1,752
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Adaptive cruise with lane keep assist and you're good to go with eating a foot long from Subway.

    jk.
    You forgot the double meat

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Calgary, Ab
    My Ride
    Zonda CRV
    Posts
    560
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And I left a day after you, laser traps both ways on the passing lane stretch right before Revy. I see those cocksuckers there every time I go to BC it seems.
    My bathroom secret is to just stop at a hotel if there is one at my gas stop(which there generally is). The lobby always has clean bathrooms with nobody in them. Have a nice peaceful dump without dodging curlys and piss all over the toilet seat.
    Damm, my secret is out.
    On the drive back Monday that stretch was pretty camped out. There were so many police traps.
    A trucker warned me of one. God bless him.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The kids and I were packed and ready to go at 5AM Thursday morning. Next time I go to Van, I'm just gonna leave after work and stop in Kamloops for the night. Must be getting old because I was pooped after driving in one straight shot(10.5hrs with breakfast/lunch/pee breaks).

    I've noticed the last couple years travelling down south is that McD's not even popular down there. I see more traffic at Burger King and Carl's Jr.
    I don't know how you did that. Thats impressive. Thats a hard drive. How was the border crossing for you? I got there for 8.45am and it took 4 hours. I was travelling with a relative and they needed a visa stamp.

    I left after work Thursday and stayed the night in Golden as I have a cousin there (She makes great food!). I left for Vancouver Friday around 8am and got there for 5pmish (van time). I was whacked. I find I usually have to grab a energy drink half way and im fine after that.

    It was the same with the drive back on Monday. I was going to go straight to Calgary. I ended up stopping for the night again in Golden. My cousin even made butter chicken! I was going to get up to drive. But the butter chicken was spicy and I did not trust my ass. I was so tired, I just slept and drove the next morning.

    I was talking to a friend last night about Seattle. She went back in 2010 and we were comparing notes. I think one of things that shocked me was the extreme wealth divide there. The amount of homeless people, fucking hell. Not only that, but some parts of the city were nice modern and right next to them were some sketchy/ghetto areas.
    I loved the Air Museum there. Seattle felt so much like a movie set. i.e Prius's everywhere, Art on walls, hipster people, independent shops, my tinder app was full of 30+ year old career chicks that all worked at Amazon or Microsoft that are still going through the Vegan self discovery phase of their life.
    It felt surreal...

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,647
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    If you guys use google maps or have Android Auto (not sure if Apple Car play supports the reporting), speed traps are marked on there now in blue, not just speed cameras (which have been marked for a long time in orange). It's crowd sourced though, so not 100% accurate, but I have found it to be quite good. You need to have an active navigation route set to see them, so I use nav even if I am going to the grocery store and it always alerts me of any photo radar.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    09 Civic Si::95 Integra 4dr::Nikon D90
    Posts
    3,597
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing to keep in mind is that the car you drive has a lot to do with how tired you are at the end

    Long wheelbase luxury cars/SUV's that block out road noise make it a lot easier, whereas short wheelbase sports cars and 4x4's make it exceedingly rough. Pickup trucks tend to be pretty good for long trips though.
    Funny you say that because I've done the same road trips in my Civic Si and this time in my '19 F150 crew. I'm sure it has to do with age. The truck is so much more comfortable and yet I still feel like shit.

    Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know how you did that. Thats impressive. Thats a hard drive. How was the border crossing for you? I got there for 8.45am and it took 4 hours. I was travelling with a relative and they needed a visa stamp.
    I got to the border on long weekend Monday around 2PM. There was a bit of a line but in total the wait was around 40 minutes. I thought I was gonna get interrogated because as I got up to the front, they pulled out a pylon and it was another 10 minutes before they waved me up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you guys use google maps or have Android Auto (not sure if Apple Car play supports the reporting), speed traps are marked on there now in blue, not just speed cameras (which have been marked for a long time in orange). It's crowd sourced though, so not 100% accurate, but I have found it to be quite good. You need to have an active navigation route set to see them, so I use nav even if I am going to the grocery store and it always alerts me of any photo radar.
    Good to know. I've been using off-line maps most of the trip on Android. Never knew there was that kind of support.
    Last edited by CRXguy; 08-08-2019 at 11:44 AM.


  18. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,092
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    live traffic and speed trap reporting is the best reason to use SOME kind of online navigation. Waze has been better for me than google maps.
    Double-meat sub dreams.
    Public Mobile referral code: 88M4Y9

  19. #59
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    750
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And don't you just love it when people speed up when you move over to pass them? I don't get why so many people get offended when they are passed. Also drives me nuts that all of the passing lanes are uphill in BC, always seems to be some little 80 hp shitbox trying to pass a semi or RV and it takes it the whole passing lane to do it screwing the rest of us over.
    Those are climbing lanes intended for vehicles to get around heavy vehicles that slow down drastically due to the uphill.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    boonies
    My Ride
    6.6 turbo
    Posts
    1,831
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Born and raised Albertan, officially move to BC sept 1st and have been back and forth many times in the last year between BC and Alberta. I get red plate rage now, why do Albertans feel they have to speed and pass everyone through the mountains? What's the hurry? Pass everyone and in another 2km your stuck behind another slow truck or vehicle doing the speed limit, their trip must be super stressful trying to always get ahead. All the near misses I've seen involve Alberta vehicles, unsafe passing, cutting people off, speeding etc. I find most drives in BC take it easy and obey the limits, just me?

    Anyway to the original q. I use cruise from Calgary to the field area. Then usually only use it during the less curvy spots, so not too much after that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Things you dont use or really use with your PS3?

    By Graham_A_M in forum Video Games
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 12-19-2010, 12:47 AM
  2. Lexmark to Customers: We Tell You How You Can Use The Products You Buy From Us

    By A790 in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 25
    Latest Threads: 01-20-2009, 09:37 AM
  3. Anyone ever remove their cruise control? What throttle cable do I use?

    By Redlyne_mr2 in forum Calgary MR2 Owners Club
    Replies: 2
    Latest Threads: 05-10-2008, 07:33 PM
  4. Do you use EBAY? use this

    By evilution in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 01-27-2005, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •