Quantcast
Cruise Control - Do you use it..? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you use Cruise Control when driving west to BC?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 86.90%
  • No

11 13.10%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Cruise Control - Do you use it..?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by corsvette View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Born and raised Albertan, officially move to BC sept 1st and have been back and forth many times in the last year between BC and Alberta. I get red plate rage now, why do Albertans feel they have to speed and pass everyone through the mountains? What's the hurry? Pass everyone and in another 2km your stuck behind another slow truck or vehicle doing the speed limit, their trip must be super stressful trying to always get ahead. All the near misses I've seen involve Alberta vehicles, unsafe passing, cutting people off, speeding etc. I find most drives in BC take it easy and obey the limits, just me?

Anyway to the original q. I use cruise from Calgary to the field area. Then usually only use it during the less curvy spots, so not too much after that.
    I've always noticed red plates are always trying to get ahead, but blue plates do much more dangerous manuvers, and make stupid decisions.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Red plates are angry about pipelines, blue plates are stoned

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Typical blue plate is driving 20 under the speed limit and not giving 2 fucks about it
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    live traffic and speed trap reporting is the best reason to use SOME kind of online navigation. Waze has been better for me than google maps.
    Isn't waze integrated into google maps now?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s owned by google. The level of integration is up for debate, I think they inform each other in some fashion.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    live traffic and speed trap reporting is the best reason to use SOME kind of online navigation. Waze has been better for me than google maps.
    Google bought Waze a couple years ago and uses their data, the full extent of which is not really known. Google also lets users report things to crowdsource the data, making it the best of both worlds IMO.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Waze and Google maps are NOT integrated. I've tested it and they provide different suggested routes AND different live traffic updates. I assume at some point they will integrate, but I've tested it recently and they are still very separate. I think Waze is better for Calgary anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I've always noticed red plates are always trying to get ahead, but blue plates do much more dangerous manuvers, and make stupid decisions.

100%% Glad I'm not the only one noticing it. I always used to hear people talk about red plates and how dumb they are because they can't take turns. Sort of makes sense at first glance since there is lots of straight roads in AB. So I thought I'd start keeping track just to see if it was true. I don't remember the specific numbers when I quit counting, but blue plates were hands down the worse drivers through the mountains.
    Last edited by Misterman; 08-09-2019 at 06:23 AM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by corsvette View Post
    Born and raised Albertan, officially move to BC sept 1st and have been back and forth many times in the last year between BC and Alberta. I get red plate rage now, why do Albertans feel they have to speed and pass everyone through the mountains? What's the hurry? Pass everyone and in another 2km your stuck behind another slow truck or vehicle doing the speed limit, their trip must be super stressful trying to always get ahead. All the near misses I've seen involve Alberta vehicles, unsafe passing, cutting people off, speeding etc. I find most drives in BC take it easy and obey the limits, just me?

Anyway to the original q. I use cruise from Calgary to the field area. Then usually only use it during the less curvy spots, so not too much after that.
    My theory is that Albertans are so used to big wide 2 lane highways where most people drive above the speed limit, and is perfectly acceptable. Run into a slow driver? Change lanes, and on your way. Go to BC TC1 with a single lane, and you’re just frustrated as fuck with these slow ass blue plates only speeding in passing zones, so you make meaningless aggressive moves to get past so you can feel like you cruise freely with nothing but red plates in front, even if it’s only for 5 minutes.

On the other hand, BC drivers are so used to these one lane roads that you’ve been conditioned to drive like an old man, zoning out from being so relaxed, driving under the limit without realizing it until you encounter this strange thing called a passing lane where the world is just wide open to you and just like that you’ve subconsciously accelerated to 40 over the limit when it closes off and throws you back into reality. So you slam on the brakes in a panic and these AB drivers behind you post on beyond about what an asshole you blue plates are in passing lanes because you fucking gunned it in a passing lane for no reason.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    My theory is that Albertans are so used to big wide 2 lane highways where most people drive above the speed limit, and is perfectly acceptable. Run into a slow driver? Change lanes, and on your way. Go to BC TC1 with a single lane, and you’re just frustrated as fuck with these slow ass blue plates only speeding in passing zones, so you make meaningless aggressive moves to get past so you can feel like you cruise freely with nothing but red plates in front, even if it’s only for 5 minutes.

On the other hand, BC drivers are so used to these one lane roads that you’ve been conditioned to drive like an old man, zoning out from being so relaxed, driving under the limit without realizing it until you encounter this strange thing called a passing lane where the world is just wide open to you and just like that you’ve subconsciously accelerated to 40 over the limit when it closes off and throws you back into reality. So you slam on the brakes in a panic and these AB drivers behind you post on beyond about what an asshole you blue plates are in passing lanes because you fucking gunned it in a passing lane for no reason.
    I generally encounter these blue plates moving to the passing lane and blocking others from passing. They never increase their speed. I did run into one really weird one leaving Kelowna last weekend though. 2 lane road, she is left lane camping. Refusing to move for anyone. And I watched her give the finger to 3 drivers that came up behind her, and did the same to me. As soon as the right lane opened up so I could pass, she would pin it up to 130km/h, then slow right back down to 105km/h once the right lane was occupied and I couldn't pass again. But her shit box Subaru was no match for the Benz, so I flew by her at the next opening. Gives me the finger again as I pass. Then stays glued to my ass in the left lane as I was doing 130km/h. She was trying to get past me so she could hold me up again purposely. I just fucked with her at that point, doing the same thing she did to me. sped up and blocked all her attempts to pass. She looked rather angry while continuing to flip me off from behind.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Clearly someone was out of drugs
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    And I left a day after you, laser traps both ways on the passing lane stretch right before Revy. I see those cocksuckers there every time I go to BC it seems.

My bathroom secret is to just stop at a hotel if there is one at my gas stop(which there generally is). The lobby always has clean bathrooms with nobody in them. Have a nice peaceful dump without dodging curlys and piss all over the toilet seat.
    Ha! I'm not the only one!
    I'm in Sherwood Park right now for soccer provincials and I am staying at an Air BnB while my daughter is staying at a hotel with the team. The washrooms are usually near the pool area and no one bats an eye at you dropping a deuce (didn't want to stink up the hosts home!)
    Maybe I can sneak in on the free breakfast as well.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Always use cc now. Set and forget. Pretty safe at 10 over and less stress worrying about other drivers.

My Ride
    *The First*

I use Cruise Control often.
    It's an interesting test to see how high it will set. A z33 will not let you set it above 144km/h.

My Ride
    Ford

I passed the Same Audi with BC plates yesterday 7 times in 2 hours. I had cruise on at 122. He would pass me doing probably 130. Then 10 mins later i would slowly go past him. Then a few mins later he is at 130 again. then a few mins later i slowly catch him and pass.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I use Cruise Control often.
    It's an interesting test to see how high it will set. A z33 will not let you set it above 144km/h.
    200 is my limit. Above 160 the self driving bits turn off on mine haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Audi

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

Recent red plate to blue plate convert here. Can confirm this is real. Went up-island to Nanaimo area recently and encountered a 2-lane, 110kph road. It took me a bit to remember what to do (go 10+ over the limit and pass people). @Melinda can confirm as she witnessed my hesitation while driving behind us.

Also, I recently bought my wife a 2014 Honda Fit. Turns out that in 2014, cruise control and power doorlocks were options. whoops. So no cruise on the highways

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4