Quantcast
Cruise Control - Do you use it..? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you use Cruise Control when driving west to BC?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 86.90%
  • No

11 13.10%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise Control - Do you use it..?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Cruise Control - Do you use it..?

How many of you use Cruise Control on the highway..? Especially going through the mountains in B.C...?

So I did a road trip to Seattle via Vancouver this weekend. I took it easy, kept to the speed limit and had my cruise control on. I did not want to push the old beast too hard.

I got overtaken a lot. No big deal. I kept out of the way.
    But as soon as the road went uphill. I found myself re-overtaking most people, by that I mean the same people who had just overtaken me. Some did not like it.

As I slowly re-overtook in my old Honda. I could sense the unease when glancing over. I could feel the scathing eyes of the proud housewife. You could sense that they paid $38,795 with 0% down for their Hyundai Santa Fey. But that pride was lost only to be overtaken by a old design.
    A design whose engineering linage could be traced back to old Samurai swordmakers back in the 16th century.
    I could see her barking at her poor husband with a look of anger and confusion, 'how is this possible...?'. The poor husband just glanced over. You could see the look of anguish and despair on his face. You could tell he was tired of putting up with her.
    Beads of sweat dripped from his forehead. He attempted to correct this, while he waited for his vehicle to shift...it was already too late.

Despite the rust, and the air conditioning not working...the old Millennium Falcon still had a bit of life left in her. As I shifted down a gear, sometimes two. The old beast launched into 130kph hyperspace with ease as I pulled away from the pack. I had to do this quite a few times to create space.

When I got to Vancouver, I parked up. I jolted slightly as I looked out of my right window. This was the scene that greeted me.

Name:  20190802_162026.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  113.5 KB

Who puts a toilet in their front garden..? Was it anticipation that I would be arriving and a shrine was constructed in my honour..? Who know.

The drive to Seattle was worse. It was like level 2 of a video game. The road looked different, drivers had no concept of who was around them and many just did not know how to drive at speed.
    I would be overtaken and then they would slow down. I actually had to change my driving style with more aggressive gear changes and ditch the cruise control. I had not driven like that since leaving London. Mind you it was fun.

The drive back to Calgary was a bit annoying. In particularly on the curvy parts of single lanes near Sicamouse. Same issue. My speed was constant. Others were not.

So my original question, how many of you use cruise control on the highway? Does anyone else notice other cars slowing down after they have overtaken you..?
    Non users, are you away of the slight speed changes when hitting a incline?

Never had any use for cruise control..... but a toilet on the front lawn has always been a dream of mine! Imagine defacating while telling those damn neighborhood kids to stay off your lawn!

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

I use it a lot when I'm on the highway. Set it at 10 over the limit and adjust as I come up on other traffic. I've had people come flying by me on a straight, then slow to 10 under the limit when they get to a corner, then accelerate again. The worst is when people decide that the passing lane is the only place they can go fast, so they speed up to 130-140 then do 90 after the passing lane ends. Annoying!! There were a few times last week when I had to get up to 160 just to pass some of these idiots.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Only time it really comes off is when I come up behind people going slower, or in the turns before Golden. Next mod is going to be adding adaptive cruise to my truck.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My cruise control handles throttle and brakes and steering. It’s on 100% on the highway. I pretty much do nothing except to pass in passing lanes. Had to drive entering Golden, the system wasn’t good enough to self drive through those tighter turns.

People going 40 over in BC passing lanes are annoying as fuck, especially when cops are camping at the end of the lanes. I saw 6 cops on the way out to Kamloops, all 6 camped at the end of the lanes ticketing and towing cars. Fuck BC.

Driving to Edmonton was a dream. Car did everything the whole drive, just flick the signal and it’ll change lanes to pass, flick again to get back to slow lane.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Love cruise. Radar cruise even better.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I'm all about that cruise control life. And I'm with you OP, it drives me BONKERS when people haul ass past you only to slow down in a few KM and you over take them because you've kept your speed constant. I do the drive to Saskatoon or Medicine Hat frequently enough and what I've noticed is that when they slow down its usually because they are on their phone. Once their text or what ever is done they pick up the pace again. I remember one trip to the Hat where I essentially played leap frog with this car from Strathmore to Brooks. My wife had to talk me off the ledge a couple times there.

TL/DR: Yep I use cruise control.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

When I had adaptive cruise control in my last car I used it all the time, but our 'new' car doesn't haven't it so I don't really use it anymore, except to stretch my legs for a couple of minutes.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I use it always however I had the misfortune of driving a Impreza with Eyesight to B.C. this past weekend and it was horrible. Not only did the radar cruise suck in most cases (stopped using it pretty quickly) but the car is woefully underpowered. I had to drive at maximum attack almost everywhere to make any decent progress.

I also use cruise a ton in the city too, get up to speed and set it.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Radar cruise is fantastic on highways like that. It can get annoying on congested roads, as it leaves just enough room for assholes to cut you off, and the car brakes hard to compensate.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    VAG products

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    My cruise control handles throttle and brakes and steering. It’s on 100% on the highway. I pretty much do nothing except to pass in passing lanes. Had to drive entering Golden, the system wasn’t good enough to self drive through those tighter turns.

People going 40 over in BC passing lanes are annoying as fuck, especially when cops are camping at the end of the lanes. I saw 6 cops on the way out to Kamloops, all 6 camped at the end of the lanes ticketing and towing cars. Fuck BC.

Driving to Edmonton was a dream. Car did everything the whole drive, just flick the signal and it’ll change lanes to pass, flick again to get back to slow lane.
    Adaptive cruise FTW.

Anyone ever use it during traffic on work commutes? The odd time I would, but I don't battle much traffic anymore.

My Ride
    rally pig

use it for highway and long driving all the time. why get foot pain when CC is there?

set it to 5-10kmh over the speed limit and just relax. goes off only when I want to over take or up hill

I use it, but since nobody else seems to, it can be very annoying and there are times I turn it off.

Autonomous cruse is good for some roads, and painful on others - I've yet to see a system that doesn't leave too much space in front of you, so everyone behind you thinks you're the slow one and proceeds to tailgate and/or people keep moving in front of you, cutting you off and forcing the system to slam the brakes.

I think it's best when you're stuck in a giant line of vehicles with no hope of passing on an undivided highway, then you can just relax and let it do its thing pacing the car in front of you. I find it annoying on highways like QE2 because of how other drivers behave.

I use it pretty much all the time with the exception of adverse weather.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the inability of modern society to maintain their god damn speed on the highway, and they end up right pissed off at you because they keeping having to pass you.

"BITCH MY SPEED HASN'T CHANGED IN 4 HOURS!"

I started using cruise all the time now. Basically a necessity near Edmonton, as doing a natural speed that is safe and prudent for conditions will most certainly land you a speeding ticket.

Main thing I notice is people speeding up as I pass them. So usually mid pass they start pacing me, and then someone else gets on my ass and I look like the asshole for not completing my pass. So I have to hammer down to get by the dickhead.

On the highway I routinely get people who try to coat tail. Think they can use you as a shield for cops ahead.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have a foolproof system for tailgaters. If I'm cruising along in the mountains at 105 and someone is tailgating me for more than a few minutes, I slow down. At 95 km/h, they don't stay behind me for long as they are more easily able to pass. I've tested that system quite a few times on various roads and I find it super effective. I can resume my desired speed once they are in front of me again.

Don't have that fancy radar cruise on my of my cars. Borrowed a Lexus IS350 and found it annoying, but maybe I'd get used to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

And don't you just love it when people speed up when you move over to pass them? I don't get why so many people get offended when they are passed. Also drives me nuts that all of the passing lanes are uphill in BC, always seems to be some little 80 hp shitbox trying to pass a semi or RV and it takes it the whole passing lane to do it screwing the rest of us over.

My Ride
    Grimace

I use my radar cruise everyday city or highway. So much nicer than normal cruise with the spastic drivers around here. Works well at high or low speeds though mine doesn't restart after coming to a stop if more than a few seconds.

My Ride
    POS

I never used to use it and only started when I started to travel for work and now I use it all the time and it prevents me from speeding unknowingly. Adaptive cruise FTW! Don't like the auto steer thing or maybe it's just the shitty rentals I've tried it on.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    I use it pretty much all the time with the exception of adverse weather.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the inability of modern society to maintain their god damn speed on the highway, and they end up right pissed off at you because they keeping having to pass you.

"BITCH MY SPEED HASN'T CHANGED IN 4 HOURS!"
    Yup, so many times I would pass the same damn car multiple times and I can see them think I'm playing with them when all I am doing is cruising and they are the idiots going up/down with their speed.
    Last edited by topmade; 08-07-2019 at 10:51 AM.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Never really use it, even on trips.

But I like to go as fast as I can get away with, which means speeding when there's clear sight lines and slowing down when there's hill crests or blind corners. Cruise isn't really for me I guess.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast