Quantcast
Cruise Control - Do you use it..? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you use Cruise Control when driving west to BC?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 86.90%
  • No

11 13.10%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cruise Control - Do you use it..?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by pf0sh0 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Adaptive cruise FTW.

Anyone ever use it during traffic on work commutes? The odd time I would, but I don't battle much traffic anymore.
    All the time. I feel like a barely drive on my commute these days. Only drive when there’s fun off ramps and corners when there’s no traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I had a rental BMW 128d estate in Europe a few years back and it had a top speed limiter that you could set, so you could drive with your foot or cruise but it would limit your max speed when passing etc if you floored it. Is this option/ feature common? I haven’t seen it on other vehicles since.
    My car sorta has this. Set the top limit to be +x kmh above speed limit (it recognizes speed signs so it always knows the current limit) but it only warns. In Europe it’s actually a real speed limiter. Must be a European only thing because of legislation.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

I'm in Seattle right now and driving on the I-5 is really something. No one cares about KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS. I'm talking about outside of the city. I just found out today it's legal to jump in and out of the HOV lane if you want to pass someone if you're in the HOV lane. It's illegal when there's a double solid. I thought people were just dicks doing that before. Not sure if the same rule applies in Vancouver but I did that too. All this annoying driving habit happens in Vancouver too. Must be the the Pacific breeze. I do have to say that Vancouver/Richmond drivers are pretty good at backing into parking stalls.
    Last edited by CRXguy; 08-07-2019 at 06:58 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post

People going 40 over in BC passing lanes are annoying as fuck, especially when cops are camping at the end of the lanes. I saw 6 cops on the way out to Kamloops, all 6 camped at the end of the lanes ticketing and towing cars. Fuck BC.
    I left last Thursday trying to beat the long weekend rush. I think it was around Revelstoke where I almost got busted a couple times as I pulled out to pass. First time I've ever seen them camp like that. After Kamloops, it was smooth sailing. Set cruise to +10 and relaxed the rest of the way.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:34 PM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Adaptive cruise with lane keep assist and you're good to go with eating a foot long from Subway.

jk.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I think 90_Shelby means an adjustable speed limiter, so you can set it to say 105km/h, turn it on, and you wouldn't accidentally go faster than that until you turned it off.
    Correct, that’s what I meant. I could set the limiter 20 above a speed limit of 110, floor it and it would not go over 130 for example. This would be a great feature for BC to stay out of the tow zone.

As Rage mentioned, perhaps it’s a Europe only thing? I thought my cars simply weren’t fancy enough.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by CRXguy View Post
    I left last Thursday trying to beat the long weekend rush. I think it was around Revelstoke where I almost got busted a couple times as I pulled out to pass. First time I've ever seen them camp like that. After Kamloops, it was smooth sailing. Set cruise to +10 and relaxed the rest of the way.
    I left a day after you, probably the same asshole cops haha.

Sad to say, I drive out to Kamloops often enough to realize it’s the norm and not the exception. 400+ hp mandatory to pass in BC for a reason.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I left Thursday too but stopped in Golden for the night. The Friday drive was actually pretty decent. I filled up at Costco in Kamloops. I needed to use the toilet but did not fancy going to the Shell...I drove around and I discovered the nicest private washrooms. It was like your own private boudoir.

The I5 expressway was fun. It felt like Need for Speed. I jumped in the HOV lane a few times. I had no idea it was illegal to jump like that. I did it to overtake the slow cars.

I could not get over that there was always a McDonalds at every exit. Like WTF?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    I left Thursday too but stopped in Golden for the night. The Friday drive was actually pretty decent. I filled up at Costco in Kamloops. I needed to use the toilet but did not fancy going to the Shell...I drove around and I discovered the nicest private washrooms. It was like your own private boudoir.

The I5 expressway was fun. It felt like Need for Speed. I jumped in the HOV lane a few times. I had no idea it was illegal to jump like that. I did it to overtake the slow cars.

I could not get over that there was always a McDonalds at every exit. Like WTF?
    The kids and I were packed and ready to go at 5AM Thursday morning. Next time I go to Van, I'm just gonna leave after work and stop in Kamloops for the night. Must be getting old because I was pooped after driving in one straight shot(10.5hrs with breakfast/lunch/pee breaks).

I've noticed the last couple years travelling down south is that McD's not even popular down there. I see more traffic at Burger King and Carl's Jr.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Using cruise control in the city, I didn't think many people do it. On stretches like Centre Street coming out of downtown, I'll flip the cruise control on, too easy to speed up that hill and too often cops waiting for speeders. Set cruise and good to go, I'll even use cruise in longer playground zones although 30kph is iffy to engage.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I left a day after you, probably the same asshole cops haha.

Sad to say, I drive out to Kamloops often enough to realize it’s the norm and not the exception. 400+ hp mandatory to pass in BC for a reason.
    And I left a day after you, laser traps both ways on the passing lane stretch right before Revy. I see those cocksuckers there every time I go to BC it seems.

I drove around and I discovered the nicest private washrooms. It was like your own private boudoir.
    My bathroom secret is to just stop at a hotel if there is one at my gas stop(which there generally is). The lobby always has clean bathrooms with nobody in them. Have a nice peaceful dump without dodging curlys and piss all over the toilet seat.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I left Calgary 4pm Friday and the only police I saw where set up in Malakwa.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    Adaptive cruise with lane keep assist and you're good to go with eating a foot long from Subway.

jk.
    You forgot the double meat

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    And I left a day after you, laser traps both ways on the passing lane stretch right before Revy. I see those cocksuckers there every time I go to BC it seems.
    My bathroom secret is to just stop at a hotel if there is one at my gas stop(which there generally is). The lobby always has clean bathrooms with nobody in them. Have a nice peaceful dump without dodging curlys and piss all over the toilet seat.
    Damm, my secret is out.
    On the drive back Monday that stretch was pretty camped out. There were so many police traps.
    A trucker warned me of one. God bless him.

The kids and I were packed and ready to go at 5AM Thursday morning. Next time I go to Van, I'm just gonna leave after work and stop in Kamloops for the night. Must be getting old because I was pooped after driving in one straight shot(10.5hrs with breakfast/lunch/pee breaks).

I've noticed the last couple years travelling down south is that McD's not even popular down there. I see more traffic at Burger King and Carl's Jr.
    I don't know how you did that. Thats impressive. Thats a hard drive. How was the border crossing for you? I got there for 8.45am and it took 4 hours. I was travelling with a relative and they needed a visa stamp.

I left after work Thursday and stayed the night in Golden as I have a cousin there (She makes great food!). I left for Vancouver Friday around 8am and got there for 5pmish (van time). I was whacked. I find I usually have to grab a energy drink half way and im fine after that.

It was the same with the drive back on Monday. I was going to go straight to Calgary. I ended up stopping for the night again in Golden. My cousin even made butter chicken! I was going to get up to drive. But the butter chicken was spicy and I did not trust my ass. I was so tired, I just slept and drove the next morning.

I was talking to a friend last night about Seattle. She went back in 2010 and we were comparing notes. I think one of things that shocked me was the extreme wealth divide there. The amount of homeless people, fucking hell. Not only that, but some parts of the city were nice modern and right next to them were some sketchy/ghetto areas.
    I loved the Air Museum there. Seattle felt so much like a movie set. i.e Prius's everywhere, Art on walls, hipster people, independent shops, my tinder app was full of 30+ year old career chicks that all worked at Amazon or Microsoft that are still going through the Vegan self discovery phase of their life.
    It felt surreal...

If you guys use google maps or have Android Auto (not sure if Apple Car play supports the reporting), speed traps are marked on there now in blue, not just speed cameras (which have been marked for a long time in orange). It's crowd sourced though, so not 100% accurate, but I have found it to be quite good. You need to have an active navigation route set to see them, so I use nav even if I am going to the grocery store and it always alerts me of any photo radar.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that the car you drive has a lot to do with how tired you are at the end

Long wheelbase luxury cars/SUV's that block out road noise make it a lot easier, whereas short wheelbase sports cars and 4x4's make it exceedingly rough. Pickup trucks tend to be pretty good for long trips though.
    Funny you say that because I've done the same road trips in my Civic Si and this time in my '19 F150 crew. I'm sure it has to do with age. The truck is so much more comfortable and yet I still feel like shit.

I don't know how you did that. Thats impressive. Thats a hard drive. How was the border crossing for you? I got there for 8.45am and it took 4 hours. I was travelling with a relative and they needed a visa stamp.
    I got to the border on long weekend Monday around 2PM. There was a bit of a line but in total the wait was around 40 minutes. I thought I was gonna get interrogated because as I got up to the front, they pulled out a pylon and it was another 10 minutes before they waved me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If you guys use google maps or have Android Auto (not sure if Apple Car play supports the reporting), speed traps are marked on there now in blue, not just speed cameras (which have been marked for a long time in orange). It's crowd sourced though, so not 100% accurate, but I have found it to be quite good. You need to have an active navigation route set to see them, so I use nav even if I am going to the grocery store and it always alerts me of any photo radar.
    Good to know. I've been using off-line maps most of the trip on Android. Never knew there was that kind of support.
    Last edited by CRXguy; 08-08-2019 at 11:44 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

live traffic and speed trap reporting is the best reason to use SOME kind of online navigation. Waze has been better for me than google maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    And don't you just love it when people speed up when you move over to pass them? I don't get why so many people get offended when they are passed. Also drives me nuts that all of the passing lanes are uphill in BC, always seems to be some little 80 hp shitbox trying to pass a semi or RV and it takes it the whole passing lane to do it screwing the rest of us over.
    Those are climbing lanes intended for vehicles to get around heavy vehicles that slow down drastically due to the uphill.

My Ride
    K-car

Born and raised Albertan, officially move to BC sept 1st and have been back and forth many times in the last year between BC and Alberta. I get red plate rage now, why do Albertans feel they have to speed and pass everyone through the mountains? What's the hurry? Pass everyone and in another 2km your stuck behind another slow truck or vehicle doing the speed limit, their trip must be super stressful trying to always get ahead. All the near misses I've seen involve Alberta vehicles, unsafe passing, cutting people off, speeding etc. I find most drives in BC take it easy and obey the limits, just me?

Anyway to the original q. I use cruise from Calgary to the field area. Then usually only use it during the less curvy spots, so not too much after that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast