Quantcast
Cruise Control - Do you use it..? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Do you use Cruise Control when driving west to BC?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 86.90%
  • No

11 13.10%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise Control - Do you use it..?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I use it daily on pretty much every road that isn't littered with traffic lights. And yes, it drives me nuts when other people don't on the highway (even Deerfoot). Constant zoom past me, slow down behind me, zoom past me, slow down behind me.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Use it all the time(highway, in town etc) or I find myself speeding too much. My tundra has radar/ adaptive cruise. Wife hates it, it's growing on me. Biggest gripe of that feature: if I'm not paying attention to the speed, all of a sudden I'm doing 10-15kph less since I'm just pacing the car in front of me. It's surprising how many people drive below the speed limit.

My Ride
    This and that.

I use it all the time between Calgary to Edmonton. I am sure I would use it for BC driving to. Haven't gone out there since January 2018 when I picked up a vehicle so don't remember but I am sure I did.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I had a rental BMW 128d estate in Europe a few years back and it had a top speed limiter that you could set, so you could drive with your foot or cruise but it would limit your max speed when passing etc if you floored it. Is this option/ feature common? I haven’t seen it on other vehicles since.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a rental BMW 128d estate in Europe a few years back and it had a top speed limiter that you could set, so you could drive with your foot or cruise but it would limit your max speed when passing etc if you floored it. Is this option/ feature common? I haven’t seen it on other vehicles since.
    I rented a Mustang here before and it had a 130 km/h speed limiter.
    Funny because you could rent another car (ex: Turbo Volvo, etc.) without a limiter and go like 140+ no problem.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    I rented a Mustang here before and it had a 130 km/h speed limiter.
    Funny because you could rent another car (ex: Turbo Volvo, etc.) without a limiter and go like 140+ no problem.
    I think 90_Shelby means an adjustable speed limiter, so you can set it to say 105km/h, turn it on, and you wouldn't accidentally go faster than that until you turned it off.

I've rented a lot of vehicles and only 1 had a limiter which was a ford f-150 set to 130. Even the higher rentals didn't have any limiters.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I have a foolproof system for tailgaters. If I'm cruising along in the mountains at 105 and someone is tailgating me for more than a few minutes, I slow down. At 95 km/h, they don't stay behind me for long as they are more easily able to pass. I've tested that system quite a few times on various roads and I find it super effective. I can resume my desired speed once they are in front of me again.

Don't have that fancy radar cruise on my of my cars. Borrowed a Lexus IS350 and found it annoying, but maybe I'd get used to it.
    We have totally opposite luck with coat tailers. I do the slow down thing too. Eventually, if I get like 10-20km under the limit they will pass. But they immediately set their own cruise at the speed limit. As soon as I resume my speed, I end up passing them again and then they speed up again to pace me from behind. Only thing I've found that works is some very angry fist out the window and yelling slurs, indicating that perhaps I am fucking nuts. Sometimes that scares them into just sticking to whatever speed they were doing prior to my arrival and let me continue on my way. Otherwise the only cure is to just go fast enough they pussy out and then drop my speed once they're out of sight.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

I can set a maximum speed on my 328, but I think it is only an audible warning, not an actual limit.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    We have totally opposite luck with coat tailers. I do the slow down thing too. Eventually, if I get like 10-20km under the limit they will pass. But they immediately set their own cruise at the speed limit. As soon as I resume my speed, I end up passing them again and then they speed up again to pace me from behind. Only thing I've found that works is some very angry fist out the window and yelling slurs, indicating that perhaps I am fucking nuts. Sometimes that scares them into just sticking to whatever speed they were doing prior to my arrival and let me continue on my way. Otherwise the only cure is to just go fast enough they pussy out and then drop my speed once they're out of sight.
    why do you care whats going on behind you?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 05:35 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

When I was working in the field, I drove a lot between Calgary and northern Alberta. It didn't matter what time or where, there were routinely someone who would pass me, slow down so I pass them, have them pass me again...it was this weird dance of them vs. my cruise control. I'd notice I would pass people a lot going up a hill, only to have them pass me when it was flat again.

I suppose if not using cruise control keeps them awake and alert, have at er'. But this weird passing situation is one I rarely encountered in Europe, and I drove a lot. Just another example of how the average NA driver is really piss poor behind the wheel.

Also @tonytiger55 , you need to write a book -- it could be the Seinfeld of your life's adventures. Your writing style is engaging and incredibly hilarious!
    Ultracrepidarian

Cruise control is life for me! Keeps me from getting tickets and keeps me relaxed. I find without cruise on I tend to drive as fast as the world in front of me and then need to pass but with cruise I hang out in the slow lane and everyone goes past me so never any frustration with the slow down and speed up drivers.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I seem to run into this a lot. Somebody comes up quickly from behind... but then they start tail gating instead of passing. So you drop your speed a few to encourage them to pass... no dice. Then ramp up your speed to much faster, they start to fall behind... however they catch up to you within a few km's. I blame the new adaptive cruise control systems, people driving don't pay attention and the car just sticks to your ass like glue.

Best solution I've come up with is when you are coming up to another car to pass, get going really fast... then, right after you pass, get back into right lane and slow down quickly. Adaptive cruise control loses it's target and the offending car shoots past you at far more than the speed limit off into the horizon. They usually find another car to get stuck behind up head, and just make sure to execute a quick pass on them if you catch up.

With high gas prices people will intentionally draft your vehicle these days to get better mileage

It feels like I am towing a boat when somebody gets into the right sweet spot
    Well ya, if someone is tailgating. But if they are just behind you matching speed?

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Also @tonytiger55 , you need to write a book -- it could be the Seinfeld of your life's adventures. Your writing style is engaging and incredibly hilarious!
    Glad you find it entertaining. It really is how I see the world around me.

I almost did something similar. When I was living in London, I was almost keeping a blog of when I would go dating. Some of the characters I met were quite extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    why do you care whats going on behind you?
    If you're too chicken to take your turn in the lead and risk the demerits, then you're certainly not going to benefit from using me as your shield. It's a simple principle of respect.

And if you are going to be a scumbag like that, at least have the common decency to follow at a far back distance and not up somebodies ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I seem to run into this a lot. Somebody comes up quickly from behind... but then they start tail gating instead of passing. So you drop your speed a few to encourage them to pass... no dice. Then ramp up your speed to much faster, they start to fall behind... however they catch up to you within a few km's. I blame the new adaptive cruise control systems, people driving don't pay attention and the car just sticks to your ass like glue.

Best solution I've come up with is when you are coming up to another car to pass, get going really fast... then, right after you pass, get back into right lane and slow down quickly. Adaptive cruise control loses it's target and the offending car shoots past you at far more than the speed limit off into the horizon. They usually find another car to get stuck behind up head, and just make sure to execute a quick pass on them if you catch up.

This coat tailing phenomenon is a very purposeful action that takes place frequently in Alberta. Slingshotting around some other vehicle doesn't help against this.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    Glad you find it entertaining. It really is how I see the world around me.

I almost did something similar. When I was living in London, I was almost keeping a blog of when I would go dating. Some of the characters I met were quite extreme.
    Please share
    Last edited by brucebanner; 08-26-2019 at 10:29 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    If you're too chicken to take your turn in the lead and risk the demerits, then you're certainly not going to benefit from using me as your shield. It's a simple principle of respect.

And if you are going to be a scumbag like that, at least have the common decency to follow at a far back distance and not up somebodies ass.

This coat tailing phenomenon is a very purposeful action that takes place frequently in Alberta. Slingshotting around some other vehicle doesn't help against this.
    I find not caring about other people empowering.

Hell, I forgot I had cruise control. I haven't used it in over 10 years I'm guessing.
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by JAYMEZ View Post
    Hell, I forgot I had cruise control. I haven't used it in over 10 years I'm guessing.
    Worst first post back ever.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast