Quantcast
Editing/Workflow Software - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Editing/Workflow Software

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Editing/Workflow Software

What are you guys using now for your editing? I'm still using Lightroom 5.7 cause I hate the subscription model of CC, but it's starting to get dated. Thinking about trying something else now.

Luminar looks pretty interesting and only costs $60 USD.

darktable is open source, but from what I've read getting lens profiles working can be a pain in the ass.

ON1 Photo RAW seems a bit overwhelming for simple editing.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I hate subscriptions too, but I caved and went Lightroom cc.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Still clinging on to the last LR. Gave Affinity Photo a try (trying to move workflow to iPad) but just couldn’t get used to it. Will probably give it another shot once I fully switch to Mac.

I’ve been using LR mobile, free version for my iPhone photo workflow. Does a decent enough job.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I use Photoshop CC and a variety of plug-ins. I've tried just about every other software including ON1, Luminar, Affinity, DXO etc. and nothing comes close in my opinion. Also, plug-in support is either terrible or non-existent outside Adobe, which is a big deal at least for my usage. Custom Colorchecker profiles is also an issue with the non-Adobe software, which is another deal-breaker for my usage as that is by far the single biggest time saver when editing.

I don't like subscription models either but Photoshop CC is cheap compared to lots of other software (Premiere is $26 CAD/mo for example), and $13 CAD/mo is reasonable IMO for how much I use it and to always have it up to date with new features, RAW support, etc.

If all you're looking for is simple edits and a few sliders, any of the above programs will do just fine. Beyond that, Photoshop is still the gold standard for any kind of advanced editing.

My Ride
    rally pig

also clinging on the last version of standalone LR (6.14).

I had CC before but didnt really need the newer features and didnt want to be paying 13-15CAD$ every month.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I couldn’t hold on to my final Photoshop license. Photoshop licenses are locked to platform, so my switch to Mac fucked me. Lightroom licenses are cross platform.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

D don't you get staff rates? Check OnTheHub...my partner gets the full suite as staff for $10/yr...
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I use Photoshop CC and a variety of plug-ins. I've tried just about every other software including ON1, Luminar, Affinity, DXO etc. and nothing comes close in my opinion. Also, plug-in support is either terrible or non-existent outside Adobe, which is a big deal at least for my usage. Custom Colorchecker profiles is also an issue with the non-Adobe software, which is another deal-breaker for my usage as that is by far the single biggest time saver when editing.

I don't like subscription models either but Photoshop CC is cheap compared to lots of other software (Premiere is $26 CAD/mo for example), and $13 CAD/mo is reasonable IMO for how much I use it and to always have it up to date with new features, RAW support, etc.

If all you're looking for is simple edits and a few sliders, any of the above programs will do just fine. Beyond that, Photoshop is still the gold standard for any kind of advanced editing.
    Yeah, Photoshop is still my go to for major editing of individual photos and like you said, it's the gold standard, but it's terrible for workflow and batch processing which is how I do most of my edits. It also genuinely surprises that you're not pirating Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    D don't you get staff rates? Check OnTheHub...my partner gets the full suite as staff for $10/yr...
    Fuck, I didn't think of that. I'll have to look into it. I've only been using OnTheHub for work related software and didn't think to look there.

Quote Originally Posted by D'z Nutz View Post
    Yeah, Photoshop is still my go to for major editing of individual photos and like you said, it's the gold standard, but it's terrible for workflow and batch processing which is how I do most of my edits. It also genuinely surprises that you're not pirating Photoshop
    Almost all my editing is batch processed - what problems do you run into? The lack of good batch processing / bulk editing is what makes a lot of other software useless to me. Photoshop/ACR is, for me anyway, by far the fastest thing I have found for for bulk edits - I had always assumed that was a big part of why the majority of photographers seem to use it.

I have been paying for Photoshop CC since roughly the inception of the subscription/CC model. The years before that I had the full version of CS6 purchased with an education discount. I have purchased dozens of plug-ins and other photography based stand alone programs over the years like the ones from Topaz Labs - their new AI suites are pretty cool. I don't like subscription models either but for how much I use it and how much time it saves me, the cost of PS CC ends up being completely insignificant. I don't have a single piece of pirated software on my PC.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Continuing on this conversation from the "Post your latest purchase" thread:

Should speed up my editing in Lightroom considerably. Not to mention less tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    Where did you pick it up? I like the look of that.
    I ended up ordering it from Amazon. Long and McQuade doesn't have it in stock, unfortunately.

https://www.amazon.ca/Behringer-XTOU.../dp/B013JLZCLS
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    That is brilliant! How do I attach commands to the dials?
    There's free software called MIDI2LR that interfaces midi controllers to Lightroom. What surprises me is I hadn't heard about this until last week, but people have been doing this for years. I found it by accident when I was looking into the Loupedeck+.

This will really help speed up my workflow, cause most of what I do is just exposure/highlight/shadow/white balance tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Thanks for that. I am going to get into this. I hope I can assign a button for EXTRA HDR!!!

Just an update, but I've been using this for the last few weeks and it's been a game changer for me. Even in the first week I set it up, it cut my editing time down by half and I still hadn't even committed any of the key mappings to memory yet. I can cull and flag hundreds of photos from a shoot in just a few minutes now and I've got it mapped to just about everything I do in Lightroom and I still have 15 key/dial combos still unmapped.

Name:  IMG_20191106_073215.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  82.5 KB

If you guys spend any significant time in front of Lightroom, I totally recommend getting a MIDI controller for your editing.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I just wish Aperture would make a comeback *sigh*
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Continuing on this conversation from the "Post your latest purchase" thread:

Just an update, but I've been using this for the last few weeks and it's been a game changer for me. Even in the first week I set it up, it cut my editing time down by half and I still hadn't even committed any of the key mappings to memory yet. I can cull and flag hundreds of photos from a shoot in just a few minutes now and I've got it mapped to just about everything I do in Lightroom and I still have 15 key/dial combos still unmapped.

If you guys spend any significant time in front of Lightroom, I totally recommend getting a MIDI controller for your editing.
    I can't believe I haven't seen this before. This looks amazing! Any other tips or resources to help get me started in my research and plans for picking one of these up?

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    I can't believe I haven't seen this before. This looks amazing! Any other tips or resources to help get me started in my research and plans for picking one of these up?
    There are a couple of places you can download a template to print an overlay, rather than use stickers.

There's one here:
    https://www.diyphotography.net/the-c...l-installment/

And here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...jJIbmZibkh5X00

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

iPad Pro with lightroom cc and Apple Pencil, works great
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    iPad Pro with lightroom cc and Apple Pencil, works great
    Lightroom cc is unusable for any serious work.

Since Catalina upgrade on my MBP, I'm using iPad Pro as a sidecar display, putting LR on there, and using Apple Pencil. Basically full Lightroom on an iPad.