Quantcast
Should couples have joint or separate bank accounts? - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Should couples have joint or separate bank accounts?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

A) Yes, you absolutely fucking should and do.

B) Your partner shouldn't give a shit assuming things are as they should be
    I do find these two positions contradictory with the way I think though as, if B is true A isn't relevant. If you are in a good situation these positions cancel each other out.

But again, it's just my point of view and fully concede it may not be for everyone so you just have to be with someone who is good with it. End of the day, if your financial choices are understood/accepted by your partner then they are the right ones.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

what do y'all do with massive joint accounts when your savings theories don't align
    i.e. joint acct gets to $30k... should move $20k to savings. One wants to do PPL and one wants to do VGRO.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    But again, it's just my point of view and fully concede it may not be for everyone so you just have to be with someone who is good with it. End of the day, if your financial choices are understood/accepted by your partner then they are the right ones.
    Agreed on that. It won't let me give you any more rep today though.

On the contradictory bit, I think that both partners have a vested interest in the financial health of the unit. So in that way, yea, you should very much care about how money is spent and used.

However, at the same time, if you and your partner are in alignment, then it shouldn't matter when you buy a new watch/shoes/car/etc. since everyone knows what's up, how it impacts the unit, and what the consequences of said action are. Assuming everyone is on the same page, why would your partner care if you spent $500 of the $1k monthly entertainment budget on a watch

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Wife and I have one joint account. All paychecks go into it. We see what goes in and what comes out.

Ez pz.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    what do y'all do with massive joint accounts when your savings theories don't align
    i.e. joint acct gets to $30k... should move $20k to savings. One wants to do PPL and one wants to do VGRO.
    Sounds like those people should sit down and revisit their investment strategy and get in alignment.

Curious to hear who brought up the conversation of shared bank accounts. It seems I'm one of the only ones that have never had this conversation with their partner.

I wouldn't say no if my wife asked but we have never done the deep dive into 5 shared accounts that some friends have.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I'm waiting until my car is done until we get a joint account

My Ride
    ute

"Hey honey, you owe me $7.89 for your half of the netflix bill this month, you're late. Also, don't forget the kids have soccer tonight. Thanks, love you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    "Hey honey, you owe me $7.89 for your half of the netflix bill this month, you're late. Also, don't forget the kids have soccer tonight. Thanks, love you!"
    Has anyone actually said this before?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    Been with my wife for 16+ years and not once has the topic of joint accounts ever come up. I pay 95% of the bills. She sends an email transfer for the mortgage as I pay that.

Neither of us are bad with money so perhaps that's why join accounts has never been a discussion thats happened.

Only joint bill/account we have is the one of our properties as well as the one new vehicle we bought in june. Her name was only added to her vehicle for work purposes.

I think its odd when I hear some friends have setup seperate accounts to set aside money for specific reasons(vacations/trips/bills).

Similar for us, including the timeframe, haha. We each have our separate accounts and we each contribute a defined amount per month (weighted by income) to a joint account for the mortgage/bills and general house stuff.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

It’s cute seeing how many of you are still with your high school sweethearts... built nothing before them on your own, and are not jaded due to past separations...

Can’t wait for the “getting divorced, do I keep the aeroplan, or the WestJet dollars??” Threads

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    It’s cute seeing how many of you are still with your high school sweethearts... built nothing before them on your own, and are not jaded due to past separations...

Can’t wait for the “getting divorced, do I keep the aeroplan, or the WestJet dollars??” Threads
    lol

I prefer separate accounts unless she has more money than me, then of course let's merge things haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Old balls here has some life lessons to impart y’all
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    POS

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Has anyone actually said this before?
    I have friends that pretty much do this and have separate accounts and pay for everything 50/50. I only talk to the wife but she say's hubby gives her a bill/invoice for things and sends gentle reminders if she's late but she always pays what she owes and they've been together for a long time. It seems to work for them and they are a happy couple and this is the first marriage for both.

My Ride
    VAG products

We have a joint CC that is on my account, both have personal bank accounts, all "couple/home" costs go on the CC, mortgage on her account. AT the end of the month we split the CC total and net off the mortgage (as its on her bank acct) + whatever one offs we each pay (only if its more than a few hundred). It has been working for us pretty well.

My Ride
    ute

This is absolutely correct. My good fortune with my wife has made me realize that I'm pretty naive. The thought that you can decide to launch kids out into the world but can't get there on a joint account seems preposterous to me. But I'm aware of the walking a mile in a person's shoes issue, so as I say, this more related to me being naive about the common challenges that people face.

I am 24 years in now with my lady (23 and 9 months of that married lol) and doing fine. She might kill me, but she would never divorce me... lol!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    lol

I prefer separate accounts unless she has more money than me, then of course let's merge things haha
    At this point she damn well might have more... but idgaf, you do you sweetie

Meanwhile the old one secretly was upping her credit limit on her personal card and maxing it tf out every month...

My Ride
    NC1

At this point she damn well might have more... but idgaf, you do you sweetie

Meanwhile the old one secretly was upping her credit limit on her personal card and maxing it tf out every month...
    lol you need a hug homie
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

In theory we have a three account system but all the money goes into and comes out of the joint. I make considerably more than my wife but we both have full access to financial records (in and out) of that account at all times. My personal account has spiderwebs on it, the same low balance has just been sitting in it untouched for years. Her personal account that I don't have access to has a large enough cash balance in it that she could leave with the kids and be comfortable for at least a year without even working. I insisted on this so that she never felt trapped due to finances. I've seen women stay in borderline abusive marriages for 40+ years only because the wife couldn't financially swing leaving. That money doubles as our emergency fund so it would more or less just be sitting there anyway.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast