Quantcast
Should couples have joint or separate bank accounts? - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Should couples have joint or separate bank accounts?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...till it’s not just ask @rage2
    When push comes to shove, the government/court doesn't care where you've put 50% of your partners assets. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Do I need to bother signing my reps when I send them to you?
    I'd love an autograph <3

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Do you really want your S.O. to know exactly what you make? Or spend?
    I can't tell if this is a joke. Yes I have no issues with her knowing exactly what I make and exactly what I spend.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    The mental hoops some of you guys go through re: money and partners is hilarious.
    Trust issues.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I can't tell if this is a joke. Yes I have no issues with her knowing exactly what I make and exactly what I spend.
    My wife does the books so.... lol.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

When push comes to shove, the government/court doesn't care where you've put 50% of your partners assets. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love an autograph <3
    Structure can make that argument a lot easier though...

I’ve been through it without any already, no courts. Basically distilled it all into a single asset (the house) and was ready to list it “okay, what’s your bottom dollar on an offer” ....done, bought her out. Lawyers and docs, etc, etc... but the cheap RE type

Easy for me to rebuild from there, but last time I wanna do that. Getting too old now

With the new girl it’s structured. We have equal but separate assets, month to month is treated as rent. We are both aware that although we reside in one property, and not both it is what it is.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Do I need to bother signing my reps when I send them to you?
    People sign their reps so that they can get reps back. That's disindeginousness.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    no it's not a joke! This has come up before so I know in my close circle there's only two kinds of partners, ones who have their own careers and pay for their own stuff/keep their own money (minus contributing to house cost) or, ones who either don't work or just have "hobby jobs" and are basically taken care of. In each situation one doesn't know what the other does with their own cash. Granted, it all comes out in the wash at divorce time anyway haha
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Structure can make that argument a lot easier though...

I’ve been through it without any already, no courts. Basically distilled it all into a single asset (the house) and was ready to list it “okay, what’s your bottom dollar on an offer” ....done, bought her out. Lawyers and docs, etc, etc... but the cheap RE type

Easy for me to rebuild from there, but last time I wanna do that. Getting too old now

With the new girl it’s structured. We have equal but separate assets, month to month is treated as rent. We are both aware that although we reside in one property, and not both it is what it is.
    All well and good until she goes batshit and wants her legal amount.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

no it's not a joke! This has come up before so I know in my close circle there's only two kinds of partners, ones who have their own careers and pay for their own stuff/keep their own money (minus contributing to house cost) or, ones who either don't work or just have "hobby jobs" and are basically taken care of. In each situation one doesn't know what the other does with their own cash. Granted, it all comes out in the wash at divorce time anyway haha
    I think this comes down to the definition of significant other versus ass your hitting this week.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    All well and good until she goes batshit and wants her legal amount.
    Crazy bitch was just a roommate, see? Deposits... same amount every month.

Zero evidence on any social media either

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I think this comes down to the definition of significant other versus ass your hitting this week.
    No, they're marriages and/or families. Is it really that much a foreign concept to have wholly separate financial lives? You're either earning your own money and doing what you want with it outside of taking care of family duties or, one party isn't really earning anything substantial (or maybe pocket cash) and is essentially not responsible for family expenses. I don't know, if I'm taking care of all expenses and fine with doing that then what I do with the rest of my money isn't really material to the conversation or the relationship.
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 09-09-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think there is a difference between being agnostic about who pays for things, and actively hiding your income from each other

To be fair, not trying to shit in your cornflakes. I just don’t see how such a setup benefits anyone.
    Last edited by killramos; 09-09-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride

No, they're marriages and/or families. Is it really that much a foreign concept to have wholly separate financial lives? You're either earning your own money and doing what you want with it outside of taking care of family duties or, one party isn't really earning anything substantial (or maybe pocket cash) and is essentially not responsible for family expenses. I don't know, if I'm taking care of all expenses and fine with doing that then what I do with the rest of my money isn't really material to the conversation or the relationship.
    I mean, if you don't view your union as a partnership and communal goals, then sure.

But again, if/when divorce happens, the government doesn't care where the lines in the sand you drew were.

These conversations do more to highlight how people view their relationships than they do their finances. This post is a good example of that in action.

Why the hell is anyone here even married? Should just stay dating if nobody has any trust in the relationship this early lol!

I know I must be a dinosaur in this regard, but we have no separate bank accounts short of the business and that is the corporations. When I married her I wanted to share my life with her and not just "the equal amount" of life she contributes. Fuck I would give her everything I have and keep nothing if it meant seeing her happy.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Why the hell is anyone here even married? Should just stay dating if nobody has any trust in the relationship this early lol!

I know I must be a dinosaur in this regard, but we have no separate bank accounts short of the business and that is the corporations. When I married her I wanted to share my life with her and not just "the equal amount" of life she contributes. Fuck I would give her everything I have and keep nothing if it meant seeing her happy.
    I guess it's an old school thing anyway. On top of it feeling the correct way to do things it allows for simpler long range planning and different negotiations based on rates. I mean, there are some assets that owned by my wife and myself, but that was done out of necessity not a desire to do so.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

I'm of this view, but probably 50% less generous.

If we split, she gets 50% of our assets minus a small portion of cash I came in with.

She gets everything she is entitled to... and not a cent more

My Ride

I mean, if you don't view your union as a partnership and communal goals, then sure.

These conversations do more to highlight how people view their relationships than they do their finances. This post is a good example of that in action.
    you're not wrong in some of our cases, too many costly divorce histories or previously over-controlling SO's make for jaded views I suppose. What we're seeing is different ages and experiences/histories being shown. I'd argue there's no actual "right or wrong" here.

Also, if one person is making 5/6/7 times the income of the other they really can't have communal goals in the sense of two people getting them there. It isn't financially possible, each person is out of balance. If that's the case I'd say they just don't HAVE to justify where/why they spent a bunch of cash on anything. If anything it's a trust issue (but still a trust issue granted) on the other person's behalf to need to know where all the money goes. I'm of the mind that if you get whatever you need/want and your future together is taken care of, if I want to waste my money on something I'll do it and don't need permission.

I'm of this view, but probably 50% less generous.

If we split, she gets 50% of our assets minus a small portion of cash I came in with.

She gets everything she is entitled to... and not a cent more
    This comment does become relevant to this post I think:

But again, if/when divorce happens, the government doesn't care where the lines in the sand you drew were.
    If you're the significantly higher earner that 50% isn't going to cut it. You'll be maintaining a standard of living (alimony) for your ex whether it's really "entitled to" or not and that can be far and away above the 50% for a pretty long time depending on your situation/lawyer lol
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 09-09-2020 at 10:13 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

I'm curious if the massive divide we are seeing is a cultural thing or not.

My wife and I have our system set up the same way a few other on here do.
    Even though I make significantly more, our pay goes into a joint account which takes care of bills, gas, insurance etc, we each get an allowance of equal value deposited on the 1st of the month, this is to cover our frivolous spending.

The remaining money left in our joint account at the end of the month goes to top up RRSP or into TFSA for savings.

I agree with A790, if you hide money from your wife or significant other, what else are you hiding? Don't be with that person if you don't see them as an equal member of your team.

My Ride

you're not wrong in some of our cases, too many costly divorce histories or previously over-controlling SO's make for jaded views I suppose.

Also, if one person is making 5/6/7 times the income of the other they really can't have communal goals in the sense of two people getting them there. It isn't financially possible, each person is out of balance. If that's the case I'd say they just don't HAVE to justify where/why they spent a bunch of cash on anything. If anything it's a trust issue (but still a trust issue granted) on the other person's behalf to need to know where all the money goes. I'm of the mind that if you get whatever you need/want and your future together is taken care of, if I want to waste my money on something I'll do it and don't need permission.

If you're the significantly higher earner that 50% isn't going to cut it. You'll be maintaining a standard of living (alimony) for your ex whether it's really "entitled to" or not and that can be far and away above the 50% for a pretty long time depending on your situation/lawyer lol
    There's a bit to unpack here. My mom has been divroced twice, my dad once, my step dad thrice. I'm no stranger to any of this, and that's also what has shaped my view: in the six bloody divorces I got to be a part of, the assets were cut and divided regardless of who "held" them.

A large portion of posts on this issue centre around the "I don't want to have to justify where I spend my money" schtick, which I find interesting because:

A) Yes, you absolutely fucking should and do.

B) Your partner shouldn't give a shit assuming things are as they should be

I want to know where our money goes. We have a budget and I want to make sure we stay in it. She has the same mind. It's all good. If you aren't in alignment, then sure, I can see why you don't want to be judged about your money habits... but I think there's now a broader argument there. Are you with the right person?

My wife and I don't differentiate her money from mine; it's our money. I need her doing her thing in order for me to do what I am doing, and vice versa.

Every month after the books are done, we decide how much we're going to spend and how much we're going to save. This ensures alignment.

It's been working well for us for the past 7 years

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

There's a bit to unpack here. My mom has been divroced twice, my dad once, my step dad thrice. I'm no stranger to any of this, and that's also what has shaped my view: in the six bloody divorces I got to be a part of, the assets were cut and divided regardless of who "held" them.

A large portion of posts on this issue centre around the "I don't want to have to justify where I spend my money" schtick, which I find interesting because:

A) Yes, you absolutely fucking should and do.

B) Your partner shouldn't give a shit assuming things are as they should be

I want to know where our money goes. We have a budget and I want to make sure we stay in it. She has the same mind. It's all good. If you aren't in alignment, then sure, I can see why you don't want to be judged about your money habits... but I think there's now a broader argument there. Are you with the right person?

My wife and I don't differentiate her money from mine; it's our money. I need her doing her thing in order for me to do what I am doing, and vice versa.

Every month after the books are done, we decide how much we're going to spend and how much we're going to save. This ensures alignment.

It's been working well for us for the past 7 years
    That's pretty much how we operate as well. We have a budget and we discuss most purchases aside from small things. I mean it's both of our money, and also debt is both of our debts.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast