Quantcast
Reconciliation Bridge - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reconciliation Bridge

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Default Reconciliation Bridge

Is work on the bridge actually done now? I’ve driven by it a couple of times in the last week or two and it seems as if it’s ready. Surface has been paved, all construction equipment has been cleared. All that is left are the barriers, so it looks like it could be useable. City website says construction is scheduled to finish by August 30th but would the City actually be that irrational to keep it closed until then even if the work finished up early? Getting into downtown from Edmonton Trail would be a lot smoother if they opened up that second lane.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

City website says Aug 30th is the completion date when both lanes will be open.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

I saw that on the city website but from the looks of it, it physically looks like it’s all done. Just remove the barriers and things should be back to normal. What/why is the holdup if it’s finished early?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Because then citizens would have an expectation that things can finish early rather than late as always

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

It's still closed to 1 lane. As far as I can tell the construction work is done and now they are just painting over all the rust spots on the top of the bridge to make it look brand new.

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

They are waiting for the art to arrive.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Quote Originally Posted by Homerrca View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are waiting for the art to arrive.

My Ride
    e39 ///M5 || MK7R

Usually after any construction project, there is a deficiency inspection. If any deficient items are noted, then the contractor needs to get the subtrades back and complete the work before issuing a completion certificate and opening the road to the public. I'm not sure about that project, but could be one of the factors. There could also be other work that still needs to be done so it doesn't impact others.
    KWVII Coilovers||Carbon Fiber Grille||20% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||RDSport Race Exhaust||Vorsteiner Front Lip||Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser II||GP Thunders 8500K||ACS Roof Spoiler||CF Mirror Covers||

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Was supposed to be done in June according to the website a couple months ago. Now they’re slowly painting it. Sometimes only one guy haha.. they opened both lanes For a day to tease us a couple weeks ago.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What about the Crowchild Tr construction? A PDF I found on CoC website suggested Q4 2019, which as it looks currently is more laughable than the Blue Ring...

What was really funny about that same PDF is that all the completion timeline 'bars' had an arrow pointing into the future, regardless if that time has passed or not
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You mean the Langevin Bridge? Fuck this reconciliation Bridge nonsense.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You mean the Langevin Bridge? Fuck this reconciliation Bridge nonsense.
    Reconciliation Bridge may not be a good name, but is there a reason we should have a bridge named after a Quebec politician who was implicated in two major public works scandals as well as the residential school system? Might as well name stuff after the Trudeau's.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    they opened both lanes For a day to tease us a couple weeks ago.
    Must have closed it back up when Nenshi said he didn't get to do a photo op grand opening with it yet.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Reconciliation Bridge may not be a good name, but is there a reason we should have a bridge named after a Quebec politician who was implicated in two major public works scandals as well as the residential school system? Might as well name stuff after the Trudeau's.
    Because history is what it is, good or bad. Changing a name to make someone feel better is stupid as we try to hide bad history from future generations. The irony in all this which I find absolutely hilarious? They forgot to rename Langevin School. Someone start a petition quick.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Because history is what it is, good or bad. Changing a name to make someone feel better is stupid as we try to hide bad history from future generations.
    What history is being hidden? Nobody is forgetting about residential schools, it's because nobody is forgetting them that removing honors from one of the people responsible is seen as necessary. Changing the name sheds more light on the bad history, not less. How many people knew of Langevin's role in procurement scandals, bribery scandals, and the residential school system because of the name of the bridge? Probably nowhere near as many that have learned about it because of people wanting to take his name off the bridge because his role in residential schools.

Plus the man shouldn't have had anything named after him here in the first place. The only good parts of his political career ended before the city was founded, and by the time the province was founded he left politics altogether for the second time because of a bribery scandal, so he shouldn't have been honoured when the bridge was built in the first place. Hell, they don't even honour him in Quebec.

The irony in all this which I find absolutely hilarious? They forgot to rename Langevin School. Someone start a petition quick.
    Council can't change the name of the school, so they didn't, which is a significant difference from 'forgetting'. CBE hasn't (they're probably a little gunshy after all the hate mail they got from old Western grads for changing 'Redmen' to 'Redhawks' like a bunch of chumps).

My Ride

They did it it again. Both lanes open yesterday back down to one today lol. But it looks done, They removed all the Jersey barriers

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    It's still closed to 1 lane. As far as I can tell the construction work is done and now they are just painting over all the rust spots on the top of the bridge to make it look brand new.
    Quote Originally Posted by JfuckinC View Post
    Was supposed to be done in June according to the website a couple months ago. Now they’re slowly painting it. Sometimes only one guy haha.. they opened both lanes For a day to tease us a couple weeks ago.
    What makes it more odd (and kind of funny) is that they used paint brushes and rollers instead of spraying. I’m not a painting expert but it would have saved a shitload of time.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by frozenrice View Post
    What makes it more odd (and kind of funny) is that they used paint brushes and rollers instead of spraying. I’m not a painting expert but it would have saved a shitload of time.
    haha it sure was funny to see 5 zoom booms with guys with tiny rollers.. must have been the type of paint

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by frozenrice View Post
    That doesn't make any sense? Road marking paint is a pain in the ass to brush & roll, it dries almost immediately.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    That doesn't make any sense? Road marking paint is a pain in the ass to brush & roll, it dries almost immediately.
    they were painting the bridge structure

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast