Quantcast
DiY Home Security System (Semi-Mega) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: DiY Home Security System (Semi-Mega)

My Ride
    *The First*

Default DiY Home Security System (Semi-Mega)

I was considering bumping an existing thread, but figured a fresh thread wouldn't cause a new CoVid variant.

I'm ready to cut the cord as the latest scam with this industry is to declare my equipment obsolete so they can hook me back into an expensive contact with "all free" new equipment. Enough is enough.
    I have the stickers plus the signs and I manage to actually lock my doors & windows so I think that is the main deterrent and keeps me from being the low hanging fruit. However, I'd like to take it a step further with some upfront capital and put an end to the monthly fees.

NEEDS:
    1. Door and/or window and/or motion detection sensors that will alert my cell phone if tripped.
    2. Audible alarm in house that can be disarmed by an alarm panel, and disarmed remotely.
    3. Smoke detector that alerts my phone.

NICE TO HAVE's
    A. Water leak/flood sensor(s) that will alert my phone.
    B. Wireless, Wi-Fi camera (motion activated) that I can view from my phone that is also recording on some hard drive.
    C. Speaker that I can taunt intruder through from my phone.
    D. Motion activated strobe light that also alerts my phone.
    E. I'm pretty sure I don't really give a shit about A-D.

So, what say you intelligent and tech-savvy folks of Beyond? @AndyL and @Kloubek mentioned options in the old thread I found. What technical improvements and recommendations are there 9 years later?

Sabad66 just linked to an 8-pack of cameras for half price at Costco but, 8??!?... I'm not making a second OnlyFans page for fetish perv's and I'm not interested in getting pixelated, dark bullshit from 4 angles in my driveway. Likely the only camera I'd want would be indoors in a well lit area at a choke point.

The theme is alerting me so I can react rather than watching footage of a thief tea-bagging all my coffee cups a week after it happened.

Thanks!

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I got a few Aqara cameras recently they work pretty good with micro SD storage and you can use them as motion sensors and alarm. I also installed the sinope water valve with flow sensor last week. Smart home stuff is getting quite affordable nowadays.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was considering bumping an existing thread, but figured a fresh thread wouldn't cause a new CoVid variant.

So, what say you intelligent and tech-savvy folks of Beyond? @AndyL and @Kloubek mentioned options in the old thread I found. What technical improvements and recommendations are there 9 years later?
    Yeah, well, we went back to the old standbys a few months ago since my self-monitored system relied on a 3G sim card, which is no longer being supported by the 7-11 Speakout offering. I think there are still some carriers who offer it, but it's being phased out so not much point in a workaround if it is just going to fail again in a couple of years. Something to consider, since they are still selling these kinds of systems on eBay, etc.