Quantcast
Wireless security camera options - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless security camera options

Fedex has been doing the move where they collect items at main shipping ports. Then hold it for a week before sending.
    It shows up but usually a week late.
    Or my items have been like that this past month.

Has anyone used the Blink camera's from Amazon?
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone used the Blink camera's from Amazon?
    Thoughts?
    I assume you're looking at the Blink Mini since it's similarly priced compared to the WyzeCams.

The Wyze V3 is definitely better hardware, has free cloud storage (Blink is free for a short trial period then you have to pay), and Wyze has a much bigger eco-system should you want anything else (sensors, doorbell cams, etc.) The Wyze Cams also work with Google Assistant but I'm not sure how many people care about that.

You also can't insert a micro SD card for continuous local recording on the Blink Mini, so that combined with no free cloud storage kills any chance it had of competing with Wyze IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I assume you're looking at the Blink Mini since it's similarly priced compared to the WyzeCams.

The Wyze V3 is definitely better hardware, has free cloud storage (Blink is free for a short trial period then you have to pay), and Wyze has a much bigger eco-system should you want anything else (sensors, doorbell cams, etc.) The Wyze Cams also work with Google Assistant but I'm not sure how many people care about that.

You also can't insert a micro SD card for continuous local recording on the Blink Mini, so that combined with no free cloud storage kills any chance it had of competing with Wyze IMHO.
    Are Wyze 100% wireless?
    I don't want to drill through my house to provide power

Are Wyze 100% wireless?
    No, the standard Wyze Cams (V2 and now the V3) that are the bulk of the conversation here are wired. They are powered by any USB cable/power brick (included). The Outdoor WyzeCam is their only wireless cam, but every wireless camera I have ever seen is useless for actual security purposes because they cannot continuously record and the batteries die extremely quickly in our winters. The downside of course is it can sometimes be annoying to find a convenient power outlet on the exterior of your house - in my case I use the outlet for Christmas lights under my awning(?) and then I bought super short 1ft USB power cables for a cleaner look.

The V2 cam can be used just fine outdoors if you keep it dry, or you can buy a cheap enclosure for it. The V3 cameras are weatherproof and designed to be used outdoors without an enclosure or dedicated 'outdoor' model.

They do work pretty well through windows, but you can't use the IR night vision feature as it just reflects back off the glass.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-26-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Are Wyze 100% wireless?
    It's not too bad run that wire to the camera.
    Made an outlet in attic off existing wiring to a bedroom.
    Small hole in eaves and ran the wire through
    Camera has a magnet base that anchored to eaves.
    I've had birds hit the camera and it's stuck there good.

Although am going to change to camera posts to drop camera down a bit more so I don't get the edge of the roof in my image.

Name:  PXL_20210327_005210879.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  39.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Fedex has been doing the move where they collect items at main shipping ports. Then hold it for a week before sending.
    It shows up but usually a week late.
    Or my items have been like that this past month.
    So far so good with my package. It arrived in Calgary on Saturday morning with a scheduled delivery of this Monday as they don't deliver on weekends. Had I ordered it one day earlier I would have probably got it Friday, so it was essentially one-day shipping from the USA. Pretty impressive IMO for how little it cost.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Going to give it a try and order like you guys did but theres a $10 off first time order on Amazon.com coupon. Hope it works!
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My V3's arrived around 11AM from Amazon.com today via FedEx. Turns out their express shipping is essentially overnight shipping to Canada, 10/10 would recommend. Only reason I got them today was FedEx doesn't deliver on weekends and I ordered on a Thursday.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-29-2021 at 12:27 PM.

Enjoy!
    With the city street lights I don't even need to use IR night mode.
    This also reduces the amount of times a bug sets camera off.

Set up my V3's tonight. Overall very impressed, everything seems to match my prior research and the manufacturer claims.

The night vision is pretty amazing, I have one set up next to a V2 and the V2 is literally a black rectangle where the V3 allows me to see everything in the dark - quality isn't quite as good as if it were daylight, but it's more than enough to see what's going on.

Everything is faster in general, no real complaints.

Two things I can't figure out:

1) Of my two cameras, only one has Ai options despite the 14 day free trial for "Plus" being activated for both. Probably going to pay for it regardless because it's unbelievably cheap.

2) Neither of them could see my 2.4Ghz network, both could see only my 5Ghz Network, and yet neither could connect to my 5Ghz network. Simply manually entered the SSID of my 2.4Ghz network and they worked instantly. Not really an issue but a bit odd.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

My V3's arrived around 11AM from Amazon.com today via FedEx. Turns out their express shipping is essentially overnight shipping to Canada, 10/10 would recommend. Only reason I got them today was FedEx doesn't deliver on weekends and I ordered on a Thursday.
    Looks like that paid off then, mine is still somewhere the border I think. Shipped with Pitney Bowes, last update was from last week-it's somewhere in New York state waiting for customs.

Two things I can't figure out:

1) Of my two cameras, only one has Ai options despite the 14 day free trial for "Plus" being activated for both. Probably going to pay for it regardless because it's unbelievably cheap.

2) Neither of them could see my 2.4Ghz network, both could see only my 5Ghz Network, and yet neither could connect to my 5Ghz network. Simply manually entered the SSID of my 2.4Ghz network and they worked instantly. Not really an issue but a bit odd.
    It's very impressive especially for the cost.

1) Have to go into your account in the app, click services, click cam plus and I had to turn on the other cameras cam plus accounts and settings.
    Click deeper and you can turn off and on the vehicle, person or package tagging / notifications on an individual basis. It's not intuitive but that's how you do it.

V3 only work on 2.4Ghz wireless but odd it didn't detect it.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Looks like that paid off then, mine is still somewhere the border I think. Shipped with Pitney Bowes, last update was from last week-it's somewhere in New York state waiting for customs.
    I ordered 2 last Thursday and they cleared customs with Pitney Bowes 2 days later in Washington State. (with cheapest shipping)

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    It's very impressive especially for the cost.

1) Have to go into your account in the app, click services, click cam plus and I had to turn on the other cameras cam plus accounts and settings.
    Click deeper and you can turn off and on the vehicle, person or package tagging / notifications on an individual basis. It's not intuitive but that's how you do it.

V3 only work on 2.4Ghz wireless but odd it didn't detect it.
    1) Thanks I'll try that.

2) Yeah I thought it was quite strange as my understanding was they were only 2.4Ghz as well, but of my two SSID's, it *only* could see the 5Ghz SSID, and could not see the 2.4GHz SSID at all. Makes sense because when I tried to connect to 5Ghz, it says it couldn't find the network, but doesn't explain how it could even see the 5Ghz band in the first place. Manually entered my 2.4Ghz SSID and it connected instantly. Probably just a firmware bug or something.

One more quirk I noticed - on my V2's, the custom detection area is done in little squares/tiles all over the screen, and you just click all the ones you want to activate until you have built yourself a zone. The V3's have the original box that you can drag the corners of to precisely set a zone. Again not an issue at all as it works perfectly, just thought that was an interesting quirk that they changed the V2's to what I assume is the "new" method and the V3's are using the original selection method that the V2's used to have. Or maybe there is an option to use either-or that I haven't discovered yet.

But yeah, for $50 (all-in imported after shipping & exchange), these things simply cannot be beat. Their closest competition is something like a Nest camera which is 5X more expensive to buy and 4X more expensive for cloud service.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Are people using Class 10 memory cards with these? Looking to run continuous recording on this one since we don't have RTSP capability yet.

The v2 multiple square detection, I think they had problems with that update so probably will show up on v3 eventually but bugs in the software.
    Maybe too granular for pixel changes and causes a false alarm.
    Pixel changes need to happen over a larger area or something technical like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    Are people using Class 10 memory cards with these? Looking to run continuous recording on this one since we don't have RTSP capability yet.
    It's hard to buy a memory card that isn't UHS-1/class 10 nowadays - all that means is it has a minimum sustained write speed of 10MB/s.

The WyzeCam bitrate is so low you could easily get away with a worse card, but I think you will have a hard time finding a card that isn't Class 10 as that is pretty well a minimum specification these days.

I run these in all my cameras, $9 each, Class 10 if you care, and 32GB is good for 3 days of rolling footage:

https://www.amazon.ca/Silicon-Power-...s%2C201&sr=8-3

If you want you can pay up for "high endurance" micro SD cards to reduce the chance of a card failure but IMO it's not worth it.

Well I ordered a bunch of V3's and a Wyze doorbell cam. Will update the thread once I get it hooked up. Amazon us said the doorbell could be upwards of a month to arrive.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I ordered 2 last Thursday and they cleared customs with Pitney Bowes 2 days later in Washington State. (with cheapest shipping)
    And they arrived today, exactly 1 week early. Pretty strange for Amazon, now I’ll probably get hit by a car on the way home to balance life out.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast