Quantcast
Wireless security camera options - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Wireless security camera options

My Ride
    ATS, XC90

Funny, I've had the opposite issue with my V3s. No problems at all in the cold so far, but a few days in the summer when it was 33+ they would shut down until I unplugged and replugged them in.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Since its warmed up to -8 with -14 windchill, its been working fine today. Go figure
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think it's the camera. I've had v2 and v3's outside for a few years no issues. It's not temp that wrecks them it's moisture and being very dry air in Calgary, we should be very good.
    That being said I'm in an old house and possibly giving heat to the camera area under the eaves??

I think the length of usb line is your issue.
    https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/maximum...-cam-v3/168247
    Then as temp drops, it just puts you over the cusp of not working.

Could do a line booster or maybe a Wifi boost if that's easier.
    Willing to bet a stronger Wifi signal would help it.

Makes sense. Thanks for the link and info. I'm going to order a shorter cord. Its plugged into the same outlet the garage door opener is in the garage ceiling, and mounted just under my eavestrough in the soffit area, wanted to be safe for length so did the 25 footer but alot of the excess is just ziptied up so probably only needed 10-15 feet
    Last edited by dj_rice; 12-06-2021 at 05:20 PM.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Let me know if that works. Just so I don't run into any issues if I add another camera further away from a plug in.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Makes sense. Thanks for the link and info. I'm going to order a shorter cord. Its plugged into the same outlet the garage door opener is in the garage ceiling, and mounted just under my eavestrough in the soffit area, wanted to be safe for length so did the 25 footer but alot of the excess is just ziptied up so probably only needed 10-15 feet
    Let me know if that works. Just so I don't run into any issues if I add another camera further away from a plug in.
    Hopefully it fixes your issue.

We have a couple Wyze V3's at my parents that are on 25 footers and have been good but will keep an eye out.
    Could be the cable itself as well.

Another possibility is the weatherproof enclosure + Wifi connection. Your exact issue happens at a relatives house where one of his Wyze(V2?) is a bit further and he has a weatherproof enclosure.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

I've had a V2 outside naked, on a doorstep for a couple of years and it's still running fine. No issues with it, it's even been buried in snow a few times and definitely rained on.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Speaking of wireless security camera...
    Amazon server outage causing issues for Ring service

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/7/22822332/amazon-server-aws-down-disney-plus-ring-outage

My Ride

I'm still having intermittent issues connecting still with the weather warmed up. Its giving me a connection error 20 code. I'm going to swap the inside cam to outside and see if I still have same issues to rule out a faulty camera, it might be my network cause I just added a new TV to the network. Still using the XB6 modem Shaw gave me but have a ton of stuff connected onto it.

I do know wyze connects to non-5G.
    I have used a Wifi analyzer app on my phone to try and pick a less busy set of bands within the 2.4Ghz frequency.
    You would have to change the set of bands within your router.
    https://routerguide.net/setting-up-2...k-performance/

I forgot which error code I used to get on one of my old v2 cameras but it disappeared once I got proper camera mounts so the camera was a bit further away from my aluminum 1950s siding.

But I do feel you're on the right track. I'd think a bad camera would just not work or connect.
    If you can move your router closer to that camera even temporarily, that would help confirm your issue.

My Ride

So I've narrowed it down to a connection issue. Whats odd is, when they had their AWS Amazon outage last week, it affected Wyze and CamPlus users. My camera would say offline but when you click on it and connect, it loaded up and worked fine during the outage vs non outage it would not connect at all. Very odd.

Finally swapped the cameras this weekend, and both cameras have been working fine. During the camera swap I did notice I had a Thinkware SD card in the outside cam (which is now inside) and used a SanDisk Class 10 Ultra Extreme but I dont think SD cards have any relation to the connection issues but that was one of the "fixes" from Wyze is to reset camera, pull out SD card and re-insert.

But yeah length of the USB cord in my case was not the issue, so 25-30 foot should be no issue and no issues of voltage drop. I'll continue to monitor and report back if still issues.

Still doesn't make sense though if it was a connection issue, it worked all through the summer months no connection issues but winter and problems.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 12-20-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Interesting findings. I'll have to think if I can come up with anything else.

I know there's been issues formatting SD with wyze.
    Remove the SD and reformat with a pc.

I have SanDisc Ultra SD cards in mine. Amazon buy.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

I found the V2’s to fuck up SD’s and kinda think it’s happening with my V3’s now. Need to figure that out.

My Ride

Been working flawless so far, no connection issues and working fine in the -40C so I'm puzzled. I just renewed my Shaw contract and will try out their Wi-Fi pods for a month to see if it ups the connection outside.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Been working flawless so far, no connection issues and working fine in the -40C so I'm puzzled. I just renewed my Shaw contract and will try out their Wi-Fi pods for a month to see if it ups the connection outside.
    These cameras produce a lot of heat, especially when writing to an SD card continuously. Last I checked with an infrared gun, my V2s and V3s never got much colder than freezing.

I've been using Wyze V3's wireless.

Holding up well, even with the extreme cold.

In surprised the wireless have held up. Most battery's can't handle cold.

My Ride
    Trucks

In surprised the wireless have held up. Most battery's can't handle cold.
    The Wyze cams everybody uses are wifi, not wireless. Still need 5v usb power.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    The Wyze cams everybody uses are wifi, not wireless. Still need 5v usb power.
    No, the V3's I am using are wifi and completely wireless.
    That was my main requirement for a camera.

They are working very well.

Edit: I'm wrong on the model, I have the Wyze outdoor wireless camera's.
    Last edited by vengie; 12-28-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Ok that's where I was confused too. But figured it was the outdoor wireless ones. @dj_rice confused how the v3 works off and on.

My Ride

Bump. Wyze just emailed me regarding Cam Plus. They're offering CamPlus Lite subs as a "name your price" kinda deal. Giving you Person Detection on your cars even if you aren't a CamPlus subscriber. 12 sec recordings.

And havent had any issues with either cam anymore
    Last edited by dj_rice; 01-13-2022 at 04:32 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast