Lawn Thread - MEGA - Page 111 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 111 of 135 FirstFirst ... 101 110 111 112 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2682

Thread: Lawn Thread - MEGA

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What kinda numbers did they give you for the irrigation quote?
    2nd. Would be interested in some numbers and context (e.g. size of yard, # of zones, etc.). Really regret not doing irrigation in my build, and i've mentally committed to putting a system in after my pooch goes to doggy heaven. Feel free to PM if you prefer.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

Call before you dig.
    Rent a ditch witch and get'er done.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

FYI for those considering irrigation, buy a header & controller that has capacity for additional zones. I added 3 planters/planter beds to my system this year and what a difference it makes on my laziness not having to run out to water the flowers!

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I can't find my post on the topic, but I did a DIY automated irrigation setup for under $500. It's been running for a year and I'm super happy with it. I buried a garden hose, or hid it under mulch, instead of dedicated sprinkler hose.

Water controller, 2 zones expandable to 4 zones. It takes double A batteries.
    https://www.homedepot.ca/product/orb...clm/1000143831

I bought these sprinkler heads to shoot far. They can be adjusted a lot, and come with different heads for various spray patterns. I have 2 in a series going at the same time. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these sprinkler heads for more of a mist. I have 3 or 4 in a row going at the same time, and I still had to dial them down on power to just go 8ft before my road. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

I bought these to spike the sprinkler heads into the ground as shown along the fence photo. If you burry the heads, you can still use these things, dig a hole and push the spike in really deep. I did it. They accept a regular garden hose. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a little riser/coupler I used to connect the above spikes to the sprinkler base. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/r...0347p.html#plp

I chopped up my 5/8" diameter garden hose, and coupled it to each sprayer using these: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A year later, this hose has settled and is invisible.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Do you disassemble in the fall or just blow the hoses out?

My Ride
    2008 Z06

I used my hand to unscrew each sprinker head and stored them in the garage, as well as the timer. I have a blow-out adapter from amazon too, but I don't have an air compressor, but that's a straight forward option too.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
    I can't find my post on the topic, but I did a DIY automated irrigation setup for under $500. It's been running for a year and I'm super happy with it. I buried a garden hose, or hid it under mulch, instead of dedicated sprinkler hose.
    I did the same over the past weekend(!). Only difference, I did use two bluetooth/wifi-controllers, and used an irrigation box to keep it clean against the side of my house. I do regret a bit not edging out my lawn and running the sprinklers on the outside perimeter rather than the inside (I water a bit of my sidewalk... meh), but overall, really happy with how it all turned out. Not super hard to do so good for someone who has limited DIY skills such as myself. It has been a huge lifestyle improvement. I don't need to have a perfect lawn, I just don't want it to be dead grass and dirt.

Assuming you had no issues with the hose over the winter? You just walked out and screwed those pieces back in and called it a day?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Assuming you had no issues with the hose over the winter? You just walked out and screwed those pieces back in and called it a day?
    Yes, after hand unscrewing the sprinkler heads and removing the timer, the garden hoses were basically open on both sides. Whatever water remained inside the garden hose and froze must have expanded some but since the hose is flexible and open on both ends, it seems fine, after winter.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Quote Originally Posted by XylathaneGTR View Post
    2nd. Would be interested in some numbers and context (e.g. size of yard, # of zones, etc.). Really regret not doing irrigation in my build, and i've mentally committed to putting a system in after my pooch goes to doggy heaven. Feel free to PM if you prefer.
    I haven't got the quote yet but I'd expect it to be around $3500 for approximately 3 zones then drip irrigation (or micro irrigation as he called it). One zone for the front, one for the back, and one for the side yard that is basically always in direct sunlight but that is a small amount of grass. I don't have a big yard, maybe 1800 sqft total between everywhere. The going rate seems to be about $800-1000 per zone depending on controller and brand. I have a friend in Heritage point with a massive yard and is getting 5 zones for just under $5000 installed next week.

You could do it yourself for about half the cost per zone if you go for the full blown system or even cheaper if you do something like Ekliptix. A friend in the inner city with a corner lot did 6 zones for $3000 in materials and rental equipment last summer and was quoted $6500 so the $/zone estimate seems to stand up.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

I did 4 zones ( 1 drip ) for about $800 myself. My quotes back in 2017 were all $4500+

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Ditto, installed mine myself. I have 6 zones now and cost me ~$1000 in materials all-in (I posted my breakdown a couple pages back). Sweat equity pays off huge here! Even if you rent a trenching machine, it'll still pay off.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

DIY seems the way... how do you tie it into your basement/water supply?

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    i think most people tie-in to their hose bib no? thats what i would do.

I paid a company to hook up to the water and tie everything in in the basement.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

That part, if you want to do it right, you need a plumber to set you up properly with a back flow preventer.

Bib works though.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

$3,500+ hey?? I'm too cheap to spend that on sprinklers lol
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Our neighbors are trying to sell their house, and its taking forever. They had some landscapers come in and reinstall all the sod as their yard had just been thrashed by renters... They havent watered the sod once since the day they installed a week ago.. they put a hose on a timer but i think they forgot to turn it on. I dont know them well enough to go fix their hose or turn it on for them (and they dont live there so cant just knock on the door).

its hurting my soul watching brand new sod die

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Our neighbors are trying to sell their house, and its taking forever. They had some landscapers come in and reinstall all the sod as their yard had just been thrashed by renters... They havent watered the sod once since the day they installed a week ago.. they put a hose on a timer but i think they forgot to turn it on. I dont know them well enough to go fix their hose or turn it on for them (and they dont live there so cant just knock on the door).

lol just do it man!

Anybody got tips for dealing with chinch bugs? My neighbor confirmed they have them and they are getting it sprayed for $350 which includes 2 applications.

Just wondering if there is something else that is readily available off the shelf that also works.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

That’s okay, they’re paying a realtor tens of thousands of dollars to represent their house so I’m sure they would visit the house at some point and notice something like the whole lawn dying. Right? Surely they wouldn’t just list it sit behind a computer only.

Page 111 of 135 FirstFirst ... 101 110 111 112 121 ... LastLast