Quantcast
Lawn Thread - MEGA - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawn Thread - MEGA

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Looking outside now i am pretty happy i was out fertilizing at 930 last night.

My Ride
    V167

Recommendation re any specific fertilizer I should be putting down now?

The Green Max stuff is nitrogen rich, continuing with that would be ok?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I've read that fast acting nitrogen is what you want to use, Green Max should be good.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

@nismodrifter you mentioned you have a crabgrass problem, perhaps consider using a pre-emergent this fall and again early spring. Something like this: https://www.rona.ca/en/green-cross-w...954-1-12675399

I think Scott's makes one as well

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @nismodrifter you mentioned you have a crabgrass problem, perhaps consider using a pre-emergent this fall and again early spring. Something like this: https://www.rona.ca/en/green-cross-w...954-1-12675399

I don't think those do anything to crabgrass. Do they?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I don't have personal experience with the product, but it says right on the bag it provides crabgrass control. I'm planning on using it next spring. Can't use it right now cause I have new seed on the front and back.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Gonna post my little project that started with removing a small apple tree that was going to fall over, that then spiraled way out of control to an all summer project.

I never really gave much crap about my yard for the first 5 years and generally thought of lawns as a waste of water. The lawn got zero maintence or water for the entire time and baiscally turned into a dirt field full of weeds. I wish i had a picture of it before I started.

Heres the first picture i was able to grab off my secutiry cameras. This is probably a month in of trying to "fix" the lawn. I removed the apple tree that was located where I built the firepit. I just added a second row of bricks to the edging around the tree, dug all the roots out, put some weed barrier down and filled it with pea gravel. Removing that apple tree made me realize how much work it is to remove a tree so you can see I called in a proffesional to remove a giant 40' pine tree along the fence.(along with 3 giant pines in the front yard)

In this capture the stump has been ground down and I removed the flower bed and edging that was by the shed and planted grass. Was my first time planting grass seed and it turned out well. Grass really greened up since I gave it a good rake to get all the thatch out and started watering every other day.

Here I just did some spot overseeding and had to dig all the roots and edging out of the pine tree area. Lots of hard work went on here.

Then I decided to pull up some of the brick patio because some of it heeved from a tree root growing under it.

Here it is today on the second day of grass growth.

Didn't use any chemicals, fertilizers, or even aerate the lawn. Weeds were pulled with a dollar store weed puller.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Name:  4A8EA01A-FB1A-45EC-87E7-C527B50D672D.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  76.8 KB

2 sections harvested and lawn mowed. Bring on fall!

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

nice progress, looking good crazyjoker. Nice property Bavarian.

- - - Updated - - -

My backyard is starting to come in thicker, two weeks now since seed. Spread an application of starter fertilizer today.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Thanks that lawn will be the end of me. Over 60+ hours taking care of the grass and sage brush on it this summer. If any of you folks are into smudging, I got ya covered.. are you in the OK sxtacy?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Morning! Yard work day, looking forward to it. The front yard came back pretty nice after the low cut and power rake/seed, there is still some evidence of my herbicide spraying, yellow/white spots but they are growing out.

I get to mow the newly seeded backyard for the first time. I picked up a used manual reel mower for cheap, it's light and easy to maneuver on the new grass. It was recommended to me to keep a low cut on it for a while (1.5").

click for larger version

click for larger version

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Well, early winter is hitting most of western Canada, so lawn season is coming to a close very soon unfortunately. I did some research on the pre-emergent weed (and crabgrass) controls I recommended that are available here in Canada and the general consensus is they suck and are way too expensive. This product is much cheaper and more effective, one bottle should last most homeowners many years https://www.seedworldusa.com/product...-control-5-lbs

Label and list of weeds it controls: https://www.domyown.com/msds/PRODIAMINE_65WDG_Label.pdf

It is a product that's shipped from the US, so duty may apply. I'm going to order one and try to get it down mid October if the weather cooperates.

Well, early winter is hitting most of western Canada, so lawn season is coming to a close very soon unfortunately. I did some research on the pre-emergent weed (and crabgrass) controls I recommended that are available here in Canada and the general consensus is they suck and are way too expensive. This product is much cheaper and more effective, one bottle should last most homeowners many years https://www.seedworldusa.com/product...-control-5-lbs

Label and list of weeds it controls: https://www.domyown.com/msds/PRODIAMINE_65WDG_Label.pdf

It is a product that's shipped from the US, so duty may apply. I'm going to order one and try to get it down mid October if the weather cooperates.
    does this prevent quackgrass too?

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

There is no crabgrass in Alberta....it's quackgrass, and unfortunately there is no silver bullet fir it because its a grass, and you can't spray for it without killing the turf. The best way to keep it at bay is healthy turf. You can get some round up and a water dropper and put a drop on each blade, but it's time consuming. You can also let it grow out a bit (it grows about 30% faster than regular grass), wrap a dowel in a rag, and then soak the rag in round-up...then swoop the dowel across the taller quackgrass without hitting the turf.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    I'll me interested in seeing everyone's projects. I'll be doing grass next year and still haven't decided which way to go.
    Sod is still the best. Seeding from scratch is tricky and very fickle, unless you're on a acreage and have time to wait. Overseeding on a struggling lawn is a good way to go.
    Last edited by freshprince1; 09-30-2019 at 04:02 PM. Reason: adding more info.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post
    There is no crabgrass in Alberta....it's quackgrass, and unfortunately there is no silver bullet fir it because its a grass, and you can't spray for it without killing the turf. The best way to keep it at bay is healthy turf. You can get some round up and a water dropper and put a drop on each blade, but it's time consuming. You can also let it grow out a bit (it grows about 30% faster than regular grass), wrap a dowel in a rag, and then soak the rag in round-up...then swoop the dowel across the taller quackgrass without hitting the turf.

- - - Updated - - -

Sod is still the best. Seeding from scratch is tricky and very fickle, unless you're on a acreage and have time to wait. Overseeding on a struggling lawn is a good way to go.
    I haven't had to deal with quackgrass yet, but sounds like your advice is spot on. Other strategies are mow it out or pull by hand:

We installed sod in our backyard this summer, Any advice on if and when to use fertilizer? Ie. Scotts turf builder for fall?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Last week, before it snowed. Do it this weekend though.

Any recommendations for a handheld spreader?

My Ride
    V167

I purchased the scotts one, with manual rotary mechanism. I saw they have a battery powered one too but felt its probably less reliable than manual one. Very happy with the purchase. Was about to get a rolling spreader but figured it takes up too much space for something I'll need just few times in a year.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

I didn't have much luck with the Scott's hand held spreader, it broke on me after a few uses, I've gotten good use out of their walk behind spreader though.

Might be one of the last mows of the season for me. I'll post some before and afters of what I started with in the spring. I really like the little Fiskars manual reel mower I've been using in the back yard, clean and low cut.

click for larger version

Started with this in the spring:

click for larger version

Backyard reel mowed at a little more than an inch:

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

This was a few months ago:

click for larger version

Think I might go look at this unit in the classifieds and experiment with some really low cutting next year, this unit supposedly will cut as low as 0.5"

click for larger version

Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast