Quantcast
Lawn Thread - MEGA - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawn Thread - MEGA

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

You can’t get any good herbicides in Canada. I shipped this product in from US: https://www.seedworldusa.com/product...city-herbicide
    It works great for killing most weeds including quack grasses and is also a preemergent. You can also use it at time of seeding, great product.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is the taller grass brighter green and thicker blade than the other grass? If so, it's quackgrass (very annoying weed) which is pretty much impossible to get rid of unless you kill all of it including your normal grass and redo your lawn. You can overseed which will make grass stronger and overcrowd it possibly. For me, from my research just keep your grass short which makes it harder on the quackgrass as it needs energy from sun to grow fast thus why it's always taller, keep cutting forces it to burn up its' energy store allowing regular grass to take over - I seem to have some success. It's a dilemma though since people say keep grass longer to conserve water.... sigh... the joys of wanting a nice green lawn...
    This is what it look like. Based on your description I am guessing it is quackgrass. So sounds like none of these companies that send out the flying would be able to fix this issues.

Quote Originally Posted by sxtasy View Post
    You can’t get any good herbicides in Canada. I shipped this product in from US: https://www.seedworldusa.com/product...city-herbicide
    It works great for killing most weeds including quack grasses and is also a preemergent. You can also use it at time of seeding, great product.
    Did you order from that website you linked? what was the final price after shipping/customs/etc?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Yes, I ordered from that site. I have seen on forums, other Canadians ordering from that site with success. I think it was around $100 all said and done, but should last me quite a few years as you don't need very much per treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This is what it look like. Based on your description I am guessing it is quackgrass. So sounds like none of these companies that send out the flying would be able to fix this issues.

Yup, that's quackgrass. Yeah, the stuff from local lawn companies don't work, good for dandelions, clover. I'd be curious about the stuff sxtasy has since he mentioned it works for quackgrass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
    Yup, that's quackgrass. Yeah, the stuff from local lawn companies don't work, good for dandelions, clover. I'd be curious about the stuff sxtasy has since he mentioned it works for quackgrass.
    Glyphosate is the only product, north or south of the border, that works against quackgrass. And even it usually takes at least a couple applications to get it. Mesotrione sometimes knocks quackgrass back (turns it white) but then it comes back as vigourous as ever and subsequent applications don't have the effect. There's just too much in those roots and rhizomes. Whatever kills it will kill pretty much anything else as well.

My Ride
    Blue boy

I sprayed some trillion on my quackgrass, didn't do anything

My Ride
    V8s

I planted some new grass last weekend where we took out a shrub (and overseeded some areas that didn't do well over winter). The last couple days I thought the rain was great, but now that it's cold as balls and pouring. Do I have anything to worry about? Its not going to wash away, as none (very little of it) is on sloped ground.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Glyphosate is the only product, north or south of the border, that works against quackgrass. And even it usually takes at least a couple applications to get it. Mesotrione sometimes knocks quackgrass back (turns it white) but then it comes back as vigourous as ever and subsequent applications don't have the effect. There's just too much in those roots and rhizomes. Whatever kills it will kill pretty much anything else as well.
    Pretty much. My place where it was taking over when I moved in, every once in a while I would sit down in a patch, dip a gloved finger in roundup, then paint the big leaves with my finger.

Did it about monthly in the summer - sit down on a cooler of beer, drink, kill off the areas where it was getting established Was finally coming under control in spite of being out of control on the adjacent city property. Had to keep the lawn super healthy/strong to keep it at bay - but still had to do some applications to knock it back if it managed to get a toe hold.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

First cut of the year. Should fill out in a couple weeks.

Name:  6992466B-15C8-49FB-AA1C-E0EA6D994DB5.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  125.7 KB

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I know this is the lawn thread, but since we don't have a garden thread:

Any of you with a perennial heavy garden have a lot of dead shit this year? The extended winter seems to have killed about 50% of our perennials, some of which we've had for over a decade. One in particular has been in my wife's family for 30 years (transferred 3 times between houses), and finally bit the dust. Rather disappointing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Our perennials were very slow to emerge.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

We lost a couple shrubs and several ornamental grasses this past winter. And our spruce trees appear to have almost no new growth on them this spring.

My Ride
    TDi

Lost maybe 2 shrubs.. 3-4 have slight green and 1 is fully alive.

Solomon seals that we have fully recovered and are thriving.. tough winter
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Blue boy

These bastards are starting to take over my lawn. What are they and how do I get rid of them? Would trillion kill them?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Ride
    WK2

There was a thread some years ago - https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/382...ing-lawn-weeds

Killex in the concentrated bottle (not the spray bottle), attach a sprayer on setting 6 to hose end, soak lawn. Will kill weeds, not the grass, and don't have to look for and spray each weed.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by G-ZUS View Post
    These bastards are starting to take over my lawn. What are they and how do I get rid of them? Would trillion kill them?
    That’s not a dandelion?

Pull them out, any kind of herbicide will work on them. I use killex a couple times a season.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Yea thats a dandelion. I usually hit them with Killex a few times, a couple days apart when we don't have rain in the forecast.

Quote Originally Posted by 94CoRd View Post
    There was a thread some years ago - https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/382...ing-lawn-weeds

Killex in the concentrated bottle (not the spray bottle), attach a sprayer on setting 6 to hose end, soak lawn. Will kill weeds, not the grass, and don't have to look for and spray each weed.
    This bottle? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ort...rol/1000410741

My Ride
    WK2

I guess it's basically the same thing.

My preference is the concentrated version, and use the dial and spray applicator. Can use the applicator for insecticides, fertilizer etc.

Page 6 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast