Quantcast
Lawn Thread - MEGA - Page 29 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 29 of 134 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawn Thread - MEGA

My Ride
    '18 Murano

We used a company called Gridiron last year for power rake/aeration/clean-up. Was pretty happy with them.
    They texted me this week, and did the neighbours across the street today.
    To friggin' early for us, we have a shady spot in the back that's still frozen.

My Ride
    13 Cayenne Turbo

I managed to clean up a bunch of dead branches under my pine tree in the backyard last weekend. Filled up the green bin and decided to shovel the dead needles off the ground into the black bin to fill around the bags I had in there. Got a nice little note saying not to do that again...oops?!?

Doesn't all garbage in the black bin just go into landfill anyways so pine needles sitting in landfill will eventually decompose?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Things that go to the landfill dont decompose very well (at all, pending where) compared to compost. Once they're in a garbage bag they aint gonna do much..

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by skandalouz_08 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I managed to clean up a bunch of dead branches under my pine tree in the backyard last weekend. Filled up the green bin and decided to shovel the dead needles off the ground into the black bin to fill around the bags I had in there. Got a nice little note saying not to do that again...oops?!?

Doesn't all garbage in the black bin just go into landfill anyways so pine needles sitting in landfill will eventually decompose?
    Yes.
    You just forgot that rules are made by feelings instead of rational thought.

Cardboard in trash?
    No!

Used oil in trash?
    No!!

Cardboard soaked in used oil?
    Trash only, you monster!!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by skandalouz_08 View Post

You're allowed to.put today stuff in the black bin, so long as it's bagged. Pine needles and shit aren't kind to the machinery.

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

I've got a massive amount of grass Had trees removed a couple years ago and really overseeded and fertilized it. This spring it seems very dense and in need of a good raking. I gave up with the rakes after a very short while, So i'm looking at other options.

Tempted to just pay someone and all the landscape guys seems to be fighting over scraps and can get a complete aerate, rake, fertilizer mow, and overseed for and advertised price of 150-200$ which is totally worth it but I have a feeling it will be much more once they see the size of the yard.

Other option seems to be to buy one of those corded electric dethatchers. Cords are a pain but I can deal with it once a year. Still have to rake it all up after which sucks. They usually run about 200$ and go on sale for 130-150$

Last option is to buy one of those dethacthing blades for the lawnmower. Seems like the best option as it bags it and is a cheap initial purchase(25$).( I already have a good gas mower)

I have inground sprinklers so I want to stay away from the rental machines as I've heard to many horror stories about them destroying heads.

What are you guys doing?

My Ride

I rent a gas dethatcher, but I also mark my sprinkler heads in the fall when I blow them out. You will definitely destroy them if you don't know where they are and they get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post

Other option seems to be to buy one of those corded electric dethatchers. Cords are a pain but I can deal with it once a year. Still have to rake it all up after which sucks. They usually run about 200$ and go on sale for 130-150$
    I bought one of these a few years ago and dealing with the cord is no issue. I removed the bag and hand rake the grass after which is relatively quick and then just run the mower over it.

CT has one on sale right now for $129.99:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/y...-0603864p.html

Should i be trying to fertilize today in anticipation for all the rain/snow this weekend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

What would be the best course of action to fix a bumpy ass lawn? My front lawn looks like moguls for a gopher.

I was thinking something like loam or just throw a good mixture of top soil on?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoker77 View Post
    I've got a massive amount of grass Had trees removed a couple years ago and really overseeded and fertilized it. This spring it seems very dense and in need of a good raking. I gave up with the rakes after a very short while, So i'm looking at other options.

Tempted to just pay someone and all the landscape guys seems to be fighting over scraps and can get a complete aerate, rake, fertilizer mow, and overseed for and advertised price of 150-200$ which is totally worth it but I have a feeling it will be much more once they see the size of the yard.

Last option is to buy one of those dethacthing blades for the lawnmower. Seems like the best option as it bags it and is a cheap initial purchase(25$).( I already have a good gas mower)

I have inground sprinklers so I want to stay away from the rental machines as I've heard to many horror stories about them destroying heads.

What are you guys doing?
    I ended up buying an electric dethatcher last year and it was totally worth the 130, its the corded version and gets in the way here and there but its not like you're using this constantly so not that bad. Mine didnt look back but after just one pass the amount of stuff that came out was insane. No one in hell i could rake that by hand
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

Ive got a professional power rake and full size plug aerator if anyone on beyond wants to rent it . Easy to use but beefy machines

My Ride
    2002 e46

Quote Originally Posted by loweg View Post
    Ive got a professional power rake and full size plug aerator if anyone on beyond wants to rent it . Easy to use but beefy machines
    PM'd

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/agr...per/1000775188

Anyone on here have any strong opinions on lawn sweepers? Do they work?

I have a pretty big lawn, and more importantly a half dozen giant pine trees dropping an insane amount of needles and pine cones. Another plus I consider is I have a big crab apple tree as well. If this thing can pick up pine cones and crabapples I would be laughing.

Leaves would be a bonus but not the intended use for me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Did a dethatching experiment.

I like the dethatching blades with the 'whiskers', but they only fit on push mowers. I have a POS push mower and the bag get's full in about 10', dethatching or otherwise, making way too many stops to empty the bag.

So, I bought 2 new dethatching blades, and modified them to fit on my ride on mower which has a grass bagger. The intention is to more easily bag the dethatched grass.

$30 each at CT.

Love this thing. Got it for $1,000 and it pops sick 3ft wheelies on pavement. I'm serious.

Had to modify the mount included with the new blades by trimming the sides off, and boring out the center stars. Again, this is because these things are made for push mowers.

The grass is wet today, but I couldn't wait to try. Pretty satisfying, both on leaves and the grass. I settled on the right deck height by some trial and error.

Most importantly, I don't have to dump my push mower bag every 10'. I'll do the full lawn once it's dry. Overall, great success. For anyone looking to repeat, an alternative may be to take your current blades, just buy the orange whiskers, and drill some holes in your current blade to install the whiskers.
    Last edited by Ekliptix; 05-02-2021 at 03:42 PM.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sweet
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Anyone with a trampoline in their backyard have advice on how to care for the grass under? I am trying to move it around every week on one section, but this year it looks like there isnt grass there at all. Short of getting rid of the damn thing, are there other options?

My Ride

Fake grass, or put it sideways against the house when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Anyone with a trampoline in their backyard have advice on how to care for the grass under? I am trying to move it around every week on one section, but this year it looks like there isnt grass there at all. Short of getting rid of the damn thing, are there other options?
    Get those fucking rug rats underneath and have them dig out the grass.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Arn's stopped doing lawnmower maintenance on machines that aren't Toro, Stihl or purchased from their store so I'm looking for a place that does tune ups and sharpening (or replacement). Can anyone recommend a place? I know that tune ups and sharpening can be done myself, but I can't be bothered with it.
    SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

Page 29 of 134 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 39 ... LastLast