Quantcast
New car: Tesla Model 3 w/ Autpilot + FSD vs ???? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New car: Tesla Model 3 w/ Autpilot + FSD vs ????

Default New car: Tesla Model 3 w/ Autpilot + FSD vs ????

I've documented the demise of my MY18 Macan GTS on pretty thoroughly, but suffice it to say that the insurance company is writing it off (and thankfully I had replacement insurance) so it's time for a new car!

I had a week and a half in two separate 991.2 C2 rentals, and while they are amazing to drive on an open road or on a windy freeway at 1am with no other cars out there, most of the time it'll be in gridlocked traffic and congested freeways in SF and the bay area.

Cue the... Tesla Model 3??

Autopilot + Full Self Driving (FSD) would be great for the freeways, and whenever they release actual FSD it'll work in the city as well. There's free charging in the condo building I'm in. Plus, it's SF so there are a ton of superchargers and 3rd party charging stations around, and EVs get access to the carpool lanes even when there's only 1 occupant.

Apparently the FSD option will go up by $1000 USD tomorrow, so if I'm going w/ the TM3 I'll get an order in today.

Base MSRP 54,990
    Midnight Silver 1,300
    FSD 7,900
    ------------------------
    Total: 64,190
    w/ tax: 67,399
    Federal Incentive -5,000
    ------------------------
    Final: 62,399 + delivery and misc fees

I'm mostly in it for the autopilot, and not the gas savings/etc... which makes it seem like there aren't that many other options to compare this car to. What are your guys' thoughts?

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

I was hoping for the "I just bought a 991" thread, but...

My first thought - and not having been through this - is that, aren't you leaving a lot of money on the table with the replacement insurance payout on the Macan, versus the Model 3?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Pretty sure he gets a cheque from the insurance company for the market value of his vehicle; no money's being left on the table and he's free to buy another Macan with that money if he wants.

Only difference is his perception of quality between the Macan and whichever car he ends up going with but it sounds like he's happy with what the TM3 offers!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It’s a great California car. Mild environment means you don’t worry about the paint too much. Autopilot is designed for Cali roads. I’d wait to buy FSD. Let the price go up, knowing Tesla it’ll get discounted at some point. Self parking is a nice to have, but not $7900 nice. Summon is retarded in most parking lots, NoA just does lane changes for the sake of it, often leaving you further behind traffic especially if you know your daily routine. You’ll probably be upgrading to another Tesla before any meaningful features come out for FSD. There’s no comparison when it comes to driving enjoyment bang for the buck than a Model 3 Performance in the US.

If you do get one, first thing first is to take it to an alignment shop and zero toe all 4 corners. Your tires and range will thank you. Alignments come off the factory floor all over the map.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it’s a great california car. Mild environment means you don’t worry about the paint too much. Autopilot is designed for cali roads. I’d wait to buy fsd. Let the price go up, knowing tesla it’ll get discounted at some point. Self parking is a nice to have, but not $7900 nice. Summon is retarded in most parking lots, noa just does lane changes for the sake of it, often leaving you further behind traffic especially if you know your daily routine. You’ll probably be upgrading to another tesla before any meaningful features come out for fsd. There’s no comparison when it comes to driving enjoyment bang for the buck than a model 3 performance in the us.

If you do get one, first thing first is to take it to an alignment shop and zero toe all 4 corners. Your tires and range will thank you. Alignments come off the tentfloor all over the map.
    ftfy

It’s a great California car. Mild environment means you don’t worry about the paint too much. Autopilot is designed for Cali roads. I’d wait to buy FSD. Let the price go up, knowing Tesla it’ll get discounted at some point. Self parking is a nice to have, but not $7900 nice. Summon is retarded in most parking lots, NoA just does lane changes for the sake of it, often leaving you further behind traffic especially if you know your daily routine. You’ll probably be upgrading to another Tesla before any meaningful features come out for FSD. There’s no comparison when it comes to driving enjoyment bang for the buck than a Model 3 Performance in the US.

If you do get one, first thing first is to take it to an alignment shop and zero toe all 4 corners. Your tires and range will thank you. Alignments come off the factory floor all over the map.
    Alright damn... rage you just saved me $8k, drinks on me next time you're in SF

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Good luck on the delivery quality dice roll!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    is broken

What Federal Incentive are you taking about?
    AFAIK the 5k rebate only apply to vehicles less than 45k. So that only includes the Tesla 3 Standard Range and Standard Range Plus

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/roa...v-program.html

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    what federal incentive are you taking about?
    Afaik the 5k rebate only apply to vehicles less than 45k. So that only includes the tesla 3 standard range and standard range plus

usa ����
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
    What Federal Incentive are you taking about?
    AFAIK the 5k rebate only apply to vehicles less than 45k. So that only includes the Tesla 3 Standard Range and Standard Range Plus

OP went to Cali to tie the knot with /u/Zephyr

My Ride
    Fremont

I can go along with this.

Source: SR+ owner since May 2019, with almost 10,000km.
    -Online order several days after fed inventive included the SR+. Ordered, manufactured & delivered in May 2019
    -Quality was fine. No panel gap nor paint problems. Have a scuff under the clear coat at driver side rocker panel, can't see it unless you look for it.
    -I didn't do realignment
    -No FOMO for FSD. I consider this vaporware is worth maybe $2000 to me, and that's a stretch.
    -AP is fairly nice in deerfoot rush hour & Edmonton/Calgary trips. Some phantom braking and trepidation in rushhour.
    -

I bought it last night w/ FSD, given that it can be taken off prior to delivery (and the entire order is refundable, apparently), why not take advantage of the free option they're giving out and see how the price hike and V10 of the software comes out
    @LLLimit , how does the $5k Fed incentive work? Does Tesla knock it off the delivery price, or do you have to claw it back from the fed govt?

Current build (no VIN assigned yet):
    Base MSRP 54,990
    Midnight Silver 1,300
    FSD 7,900
    ------------------------
    Total: 64,190
    Tax: 3,210
    Federal Incentive -5,000
    ------------------------
    Final: 62,400

Other option is to strip it down to the cheapest possible build... Pearl White Multicoat was a $2k option before and now is free?! Also, still not sure if I need FSD. In which case:
    Final: 52,740... saves $9,660

My Ride

No AWD? .

I would rather swap FSD for AWD to fit your budget.

https://insideevs.com/news/365161/aw...-test-rollers/

White is nice. Hides the swirls.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 08-16-2019 at 12:52 PM.

My Ride
    Fremont

Tesla took care the incentive - I didn't have to deal with anyone else other than Tesla.
    In the Total Credits of the Final Price Sheet, iZEV $5000 is listed there right under your $3200 deposit.

My Build:
    -------------------------------
    Model 3: $49,999, I think the tactic is to create a fictitious base trim to fit into iZEV progam
    SR+ option: $8701
    Midnight silver: $1300. If I were buying now, I'd save the money and get free pearl white.
    Subtotal $55,000
    Delivery/inspection: $1280
    Total: $56280 + Taxes

I'd be ticked my midnight silver is magically free, it looks like the LED Foglights is now excluded from the partial premium interior!
    Bring your own license plate. The Fairmount location took care of the registry transfer & cost.

The AWD & Long range model doesn't get the iZEV incentive, which is suspicious because they could have itemized it by: $49,999 Base + AWD/LR option.

I showed up 45mins early to finalize the bank draft amount, and ran to TD for it.
    My delivery day was packed with other ...deliveries. I waited in the showroom and it was gradually pushed back for 1.5hours. Then I waited 15 minutes for my car to get put into the bay and wiped down.
    Last edited by LLLimit; 08-16-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    No AWD? .

I was originally planning on getting the AWD but then my cheap ass couldn't stomach leaving the $5k EV incentive on the table I guess it's not so much about the money as getting a good deal

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LLLimit View Post
    Tesla took care the incentive - I didn't have to deal with anyone else other than Tesla.
    In the Total Credits of the Final Price Sheet, iZEV $5000 is listed there right under your $3200 deposit.

My Build:
    Model 3: $49,999, I think the tactic is to create a fictitious base trim to fit into iZEV progam
    SR+ option: $8701
    Midnight silver: $1300. If I were buying now, I'd save the money and get free pearl white.
    Subtotal $55,000
    Delivery/inspection: $1280
    Total: $56280 + Taxes

I'd be ticked my midnight silver is magically free, it looks like the LED Foglights is now excluded from the partial premium interior!
    Bring your own license plate. The Fairmount location took care of the registry transfer & cost.

The AWD & Long range model doesn't get the iZEV incentive, which is suspicious because they could have itemized it by: $49,999 Base + AWD/LR option.

I showed up 45mins early to finalize the bank draft amount, and ran to TD for it.
    My delivery day was packed with other ...deliveries. I waited in the showroom and it was gradually pushed back for 1.5hours. Then I waited 15 minutes for my car to get put into the bay and wiped down.
    Nice, thanks for the info!
    I think I might strip out FSD from the build then... the more I look into it the more normal AP seems like it'll be good enough. Doesn't look like the price has changed at all today, I figured Tesla would've released some new must have feature and hike the price up $1-2k, in which case ticking the box and having the option to take it at the old price or cancel it seemed like a no brainer.

My Ride
    Fremont

that was my mindset with the incentive, couldn't leave it behind to move up to AWD/LR.

You'll definitely appreciate AP. I find myself turning it off to zip between lanes because it's a bit pedestrian sometimes; just scoots along in its own lane and maintains status quo.
    My account is still offering me $7900 to buy FSD, so
    -

My Ride
    is broken

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    No AWD? .

Oh man what a cool comparison video. Reminds me of this super fail video from Honda...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo

I think electrics are going to take over the rock crawling and 4x4 world. Super torque capabilities and torque vectoring out of the box. But sadly they won't because "MERH ENGINE NOISE"

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by LLLimit View Post
    My delivery day was packed with other ...deliveries.
    Giggity Alll Righttt...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wait you’re buying this in Canada? Model 3 Performance or go home. Thought your price was USD for the performance.

As for LLLimit, let us know how your paint holds up after your first winter.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Just make sure to “find” the extra $3500 to wrap the whole car...
    Professionally Retired

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast