Quantcast
Infill cost questions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Infill cost questions

My Ride
    NC1

Default Infill cost questions

So I have a friend ......

Who is looking at building an infill project on 50X120 lot so either a duplex or two detached homes.

He's telling me with his hookups he can get it done for $200/sq.ft MAX.

Is this feasible? Average trims I suppose, 9-10ft ceilings, hardwood floors, granite counter tops etc.

Lot: $600K
    Tear down: ????
    Build: 2000sq.ft X $200 X2. = $800K
    Landscape: ????
    Garage: ????

Where's the profit here? haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Where is the lot?

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    NC1

Inner-city.

The number in question here is $200/sq.ft MAX.

I know JL you are running around $400 and the trades people like Dave and frozenrice are saying $225-$250 as the min.
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Probably possible, but for that rock-bottom price, you will be building a pretty low budget place, and it may not fit in well with the other homes in the area.

I recommended you have someone experienced help you (or your friend) in determining a realistic budget so your home can fit in better, and command a reasonable sale value on the other side.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Sorry to highjack here. I am also looking to do an ~2500sf infill as well. Inner city 43'x120' lot. $400/sf seems unbelievable. Hope that's for really high end construction.

Is there a reason why people aren't building infills with front attached garages? I have yet to see one in the Capitol hill/Mt. pleasant/tuxedo areas.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by kkkat
    Sorry to highjack here. I am also looking to do an ~2500sf infill as well. Inner city 43'x120' lot. $400/sf seems unbelievable. Hope that's for really high end construction.

Is there a reason why people aren't building infills with front attached garages? I have yet to see one in the Capitol hill/Mt. pleasant/tuxedo areas.
    Well this is JL, everything he does is baller.

You can find a lot of front garages in the Winston Heights area. No rear alleys.
    I am user #49

Asbestos removal pre demolition if applicable can run to $30k per inner city average size house (worst case pricing using 16 years of experience).

$400sqft, thats getting close to turnkey price. If it does cost him 700k$ side, he will make very little after realtor fees.

Originally posted by RawB8figure
    $400sqft, thats getting close to turnkey price. If it does cost him 700k$ side, he will make very little after realtor fees.
    Pffft....don't you know how beyonders do it? They just learn how to be the GC themselves and bingo...instant profit!!

Or they hire a builder to build it for them and then turn around and sell it for instant profit.

Either way, it's just so simple to build houses and make tons of money.

Looking for infloor heating and just above average construction. As far as I know there is no asbestos in this house but I could be wrong, year 1947. Is $250/sf realistic?

so there is no by-law stopping people from building a house with front garage in areas with back lanes (I haven't found anything yet)?

We have a detached garage right now and we use it maybe 30days in a year. Just not practical for us.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Infill cost questions

Originally posted by max_boost

He's telling me with his hookups he can get it done for $200/sq.ft MAX.
    I've got the same hookups. $200/sq.ft, no problem. Just use cash corner
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    NC1

Looking for infloor heating and just above average construction. As far as I know there is no asbestos in this house but I could be wrong, year 1947. Is $250/sf realistic?

so there is no by-law stopping people from building a house with front garage in areas with back lanes (I haven't found anything yet)?

We have a detached garage right now and we use it maybe 30days in a year. Just not practical for us.
    I've seen a single attached front garage on my street in Crescent but if you are talking about those ones you see in the burbs, I have yet to see and yep, probably bylaw related.
    I am user #49

I'm only mentioning asbestos because many homeowners turned G.C's have near crapped themselves when they find out their costs have just increased dramatically and their budgets flown out of the window.
    A survey can determine if asbestos is present for a cost of between $1200-$1800 but I'm more than willing to discuss it if you'd like because you can do it yourself.

$400/sf seems unbelievable. Hope that's for really high end construction.
    About a $2.5+ million home.

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Plans and design $4-5000. Development permit $2-3000, development permit survey $2000, building permit $2500. Asbestos as mentioned above depending on age of house and test results (if house is pre 1980's there will be asbestos of some sort), can run anywhere from $10-40,000. Demolition $15,000. Tree/stump removal if there are trees that can be removed (as allowed by city bylaw). Shoring the ground along the property line (so the dirt from the neighbour's house doesn't collapse into your excavated hole) will run about $300 lineal foot. If it's a really old neighbourhood, then you'll likely need to renew underground sewer and water services to the tune of around $20,000 +/-. ATCO might be around $3000 if the gas line needs to be redone/relocated. Electrical services if overhead will typically cost more for electrician to hook up for temp services. Some cases, you may also need to provide hoarding (in the sense of road/safety barriers). Security/safety fencing rentals will cost about $200/month (required for insurance/liability) - add a few extra bucks a month if you have any existing tress that the city requires protection on. Site toilet rentals, $100/month. Landscaping can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000. Detached garage $20-30,000.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by frozenrice
    Plans and design $4-5000. Development permit $2-3000, development permit survey $2000, building permit $2500. Asbestos as mentioned above depending on age of house and test results (if house is pre 1980's there will be asbestos of some sort), can run anywhere from $10-40,000. Demolition $15,000. Tree/stump removal if there are trees that can be removed (as allowed by city bylaw). Shoring the ground along the property line (so the dirt from the neighbour's house doesn't collapse into your excavated hole) will run about $300 lineal foot. If it's a really old neighbourhood, then you'll likely need to renew underground sewer and water services to the tune of around $20,000 +/-. ATCO might be around $3000 if the gas line needs to be redone/relocated. Electrical services if overhead will typically cost more for electrician to hook up for temp services. Some cases, you may also need to provide hoarding (in the sense of road/safety barriers). Security/safety fencing rentals will cost about $200/month (required for insurance/liability) - add a few extra bucks a month if you have any existing tress that the city requires protection on. Site toilet rentals, $100/month. Landscaping can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000. Detached garage $20-30,000.
    Sounds like you've done this before.

My Ride
    Ram

Kinda on same topic.

Is there luxury or inner city builders that you guys trust over others? And why?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yeah Ranger Homes. Family friends, husband and wife both engineers who are nit picky about everything, have a network of solid trades guys after letting go of a bunch who's quality of work just wasn't there. She designs and he project manages.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Alley space is probably a big reason. A guess would be that they don't want the cookie cutter design of the burbs. Ironically though, the infill duplex design is getting more boring from the outside and played out. At least the entire block doesn't look exactly the same like the burbs?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Sounds like you've done this before.
    Once or twice

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast