Quantcast
Critique my New Zealand Itinerary, please - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Critique my New Zealand Itinerary, please

Default Critique my New Zealand Itinerary, please

I am hoping someone who has been to NZ before can let me know if this is a good itinerary or not - mostly in terms of time spent in each place, and if we should be doing any other detours. I am OK with driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

We'll be there for ~16 days total after subtracting travel time.

Nov 8 - Arrive Auckland

Nov 8-11: Auckland area

Nov 11-13 Cathedral Cove area

Nov 13-16 Rotorua - seems like there's a lot to do here.

Nov 16-17 Napier (to break up the drive and apparently wine tours)

Nov 17-19 Wellington area

(Fly to Queenstown)

Nov 19-22 Queenstown / Milford Sound

Nov 23 Fly back to Auckland to go home

Wasn't sure if Coromandel / Abel Tasman are worth the long detours, we were looking into that.

I REALLY wanted to do Great White Shark cage dive but it was apparently was banned in September 2018. From what I can tell they might still be doing it at a different location, but I don't think it starts until December so we might not be able to do that. Any clarification there would also be appreciated, the tour company websites are ambiguous about this.

If there's anything you think we missed, or we should swap out for something else, or spend more/less time somewhere that would be great information. TIA.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Auckland is easy to see in 2 days. Check out the city and Hobbiton which is a 45 - 1hr drive. There really isn't much to see north of Aukland other than some long beaches and quiet little towns.

Cathedral Cove is half a day IMO.

Your missing out not spending time in Lake Taupo on the North Island. I would suggest allocating at least 2 days from either Cathedral Cove or Rotorua. Hike the tongarrio crossing and do some fishing if you can. Rotorua stinks horribly and you can honestly only spend a day there IMO.

Queenstown has a shit ton to do depending what you want to see. I would highly suggest driving through to Lake Wanaka if your down there. Milford Sound/Fjordland should be 2 days if your into hiking. Sky dive Wanaka is the best place in the world to skydive IMO if your into that. Considering your on a car forum, there is a racetrack between Queenstown and Wanaka where you can rent a Mclaren and some other vehicles and do laps for a fair price.

Depending what your into, I can give you a bunch more suggestions. Spent a lot of time bombing around the islands in a camper van.
    Last edited by BavarianBeast; 08-19-2019 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I strongly suggest spending as little time in Aukland as possible. It's fine, but it's just another city. The best parts of NZ are away from Auckland.

Best places I found were the smaller towns on the south island. Oamaru is nice and you can see the wild penguins. People are great, and always something interesting.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 08-19-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thank you that is excellent info. We do really like to hike but I tore my ACL back in April so I can't do anything too crazy, but I am fine as long as it isn't too challenging and not too long (under 10km or so). I have a brace but it's enormous and I don't want to bring it haha.

Won't be skydiving (too scared) but I will be all over that McLaren experience. I did the exotic/race track thing in Scotland as well (seems like anywhere other than North America it's reasonably priced), and I would do that again in a heartbeat.

Basically we like to do as much as possible, we aren't beach bums and like to pack our days full with activities. We wanted to try Zorbing, Shweebing, go on wine tours (apparently there is an island that is good for this), go on food tours in every city, hike a bit, etc. The glow worm cave and Hobbiton are on the list for sure. I thought a lot of that stuff was in or around Rotorua which is why we allocated so much time there.

U2 is playing in an outdoor arena in Auckland the day we arrive as well so we'll probably see that too.

Thanks again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Rotorua town does stink, but the area around is really nice. I have relatives who I've around there so I'm for sure biased though.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

If your into surfing, Mount Maungauni and Raglan are good spots to be.

Check out white water rafting in queenstown (take the one that takes you on skippers canyon road, it's fucking nuts). Shotover jet is a ton of fun too.

If your into the Glow worms, Waitomo Cave is cool but check out "Waipu Caves". It's a 15-20 minute walk, it's free and you get to see the glow worms up close without time constraints.

If your out near Christchurch check out Akoroa. It feels like a quiet little European town, very different from the rest of NZ.

I'll think of a bunch more, we pretty much went to every town in the Country. If your into surfing, Mount Maungauni and Raglan are good spots to be.

Thanks again.

I'm afraid of Sharks (when not in a cage haha) so probably no surfing for me.

White water rafting however sounds great - will look into that for sure.

Thanks for the tip on the glow worms - any time we can avoid a tour and do our own thing, it's much better.

Do you remember the name of the race track where you can drive a McLaren? I have been googling but all I get is the "Bruce McLaren Motorsports Park" in Taupo, and contrary to the name I don't think you can actually drive a McLaren there haha. I found other tracks too but they look like they only have dedicated race cars rather than exotics.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Don't worry about the sharks, they are friends

It was Highlands Motorsports Park. It looks like they have a 488 GTB now instead of the Mclaren. There is also a Radical SR3 race car.

https://highlands.co.nz/action-exper...car-fast-dash/

Cheers

If you're going to be in the Waitomo area I'd recommend looking at the "Lost World" tours. They're cave tours that involve an amazing rappel in, super small groups and you get to see the glow worms in a less developed setting. We did this 2 years ago and it was the highlight of our trip for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Don't worry about the sharks, they are friends

It was Highlands Motorsports Park. It looks like they have a 488 GTB now instead of the Mclaren. There is also a Radical SR3 race car.

https://highlands.co.nz/action-exper...car-fast-dash/

Cheers
    Ah, thanks. I did run across that website but if I am understanding that correctly, you're a passenger and not the driver, especially with the minimum age being 10. I couldn't find anything on that site where I actually get to drive the 488GTB.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BrknFngrs View Post
    If you're going to be in the Waitomo area I'd recommend looking at the "Lost World" tours. They're cave tours that involve an amazing rappel in, super small groups and you get to see the glow worms in a less developed setting. We did this 2 years ago and it was the highlight of our trip for sure.
    Thank you I will look into that.

I was just there in Feb, lots to do in Rotorua like Hell's gate and Hobbiton
    I'd recommend Tongariro Mt Doom Hike, its a decent/hard hike but the scenery is pretty awesome.
    Wellington: Te Papa was really interesting, they had an awesome exhibit on Gallipoli
    In Queenstown I did Canyoning which was absolutely awesome, just to hike around the caves you get to do rappelling, natural water slides, cliff jumping, Etc
    Waitomo glow worms is pretty wicked tour

Quote Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
    I was just there in Feb, lots to do in Rotorua like Hell's gate and Hobbiton
    I'd recommend Tongariro Mt Doom Hike, its a decent/hard hike but the scenery is pretty awesome.
    Wellington: Te Papa was really interesting, they had an awesome exhibit on Gallipoli
    In Queenstown I did Canyoning which was absolutely awesome, just to hike around the caves you get to do rappelling, natural water slides, cliff jumping, Etc
    Waitomo glow worms is pretty wicked tour
    Thanks for this - added to our list of things to research.

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

I'd definitely swap out some of that North Island time for more on the South, assuming you're not expecting future trips to NZ. Not that they are bad, but I don't think Napier or Wellington would make it on to many must-see lists.

Instead I'd go for something like 5-6 days for Auckland, Coromandel, and Rotorua. Then fly to Nelson (wineries + Abel Tasman), and drive down the west coast (Punakaiki, Franz Josef, Wanaka) and end up in Queenstown (good for a few days, plus a trip to Milford Sound). Fly back from Queenstown to Auckland. Maybe not enough time to squeeze it in, but there is a lot of great hiking right around the town of Mount Cook.

Another route that'd be pretty good is like this G Adventures one: https://www.gadventures.com/trips/hi...-zealand/ONAC/

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

More south = more good.

Went there in 2007 for a month, went on a backpacker/hostel tour so we basically went where the bus went. We were there Sept/October which was the very beginning of "summer" season. It was pretty cool and wet most of the time. I had to buy a toque and sweater for some of our hikes. I never wore shorts.

Highlights were:
    - Tongariro hike. Awesome and the best thing we did, but its a long day-hike, 19+ km and around 8 hours. This video actually gives a pretty good idea of what it's like on a good day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inmOwAaGGMc . Not sure how you'd feel about it with your knee. Maybe with trekking poles?

- Waitomo caving/tubing - do the longer tour if you have the whole day, and plan for a more relaxed next day.

- the Wellington museum, Te Papa. There is a lot to see there and admission is free.

- Milford/Fjordland. Its a long drive from Queenstown but not so bad if you stay there a few days. We did not have time with our schedule. Unfortunately my wife had a terrible migraine that day so we did not get the full experience.

- I actually liked the north Cape Reinga area, but maybe that because it was the best weather we had for the whole trip.

Thanks again guys - hoping to sit down and adjust the itinerary tonight. I'll re-post it when I've got that done.

That hike actually looks amazing, I might have to sack up and do it. If it's relatively smooth terrain I could probably do it without my knee brace.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-20-2019 at 04:31 PM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

It ain’t bad at all. There is only one section of steep incline shale that’s difficult and it’s only about 500 meters of it.

Wife and I did the hike in 5.5 hours, moving at a steady pace and stopping for a half hour at the summit.

Name:  92180F62-1D4C-4F9C-B59E-16B75347E807.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  92.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    It ain’t bad at all. There is only one section of steep incline shale that’s difficult and it’s only about 500 meters of it.

Wife and I did the hike in 5.5 hours, moving at a steady pace and stopping for a half hour at the summit.
    That doesn't sound too bad at all, I could do that no problem I think. The GF and I are fast hikers as well so if we did it in 6 hours or so, that would be OK.

Just remember to pack trekking poles and good hikers.
    If you are in the area we also did some cliff jumping at Tawhai Falls (Gollums Pool) which is also in the area if you are a LOTR fan. The water was nice and cold it was actually very nice after the hike. I did it in 7 hours but did take lots of small breaks and detours to get pictures.

My Ride
    Lariat

NZ is awesome, I would say spend a bit more time on the south island. Queenstown/wanaka are great, could do a few days here easily.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast