Quantcast
Has anyone used a dealership to source a used car? (Porsche or others) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used a dealership to source a used car? (Porsche or others)

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Default Has anyone used a dealership to source a used car? (Porsche or others)

So as the lease is expiring on the TLX shortly – I was hoping to replace it with a used (2011-2013) Cayenne. Of course, the amount of inventory on the used market is pretty limited at any given time and the tough part for me is that I don’t want a black or white colored one, and it seems like that is pretty much all there is out there.

I was wondering if anyone has worked with a dealer to reach out to their customer list (likely sourced by their service dept., or maybe the prior sales listing). I figure that it is an opportunity for the dealer/salesperson to upsell a customer (ie. if you want to trade in, we are able to give better than black book because there is a person – Me, who will buy it directly), or if that person doesn’t end up getting another car, I would be open to paying a ~$300 finder’s fee if I end up buying a car with their referral.

When I went to Lexus and Acura, they seemed a bit reluctant, but when I spoke to the guy who used to work at Honda, he said that it was common practice and cited examples of people hunting out for certain years of CRVs and Elements.

With that said – if anyone has a referral that would be great as well.

Thanks in Advance for any feedback.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    FB6

I'm guessing it's common for Honda as they keep emailing me that a customer wants to buy my car and they'll offer a high trade in value. They've emailed me 3-4 times over the past year.

I have a very low km Civic Si, which I'm sure someone would be interested in, so there might be truth to their story.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I would think it would be worthwhile talking to Kulu

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by realazy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm guessing it's common for Honda as they keep emailing me that a customer wants to buy my car and they'll offer a high trade in value. They've emailed me 3-4 times over the past year.

I have a very low km Civic Si, which I'm sure someone would be interested in, so there might be truth to their story.
    Honda keeps emailing me about my Fit and Odyssey, it's a sales scam, not because your car is especially desirable.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I got alot of "we have a customer who wants top dollar your vehicle" when I had my Genesis Coupe, which I chalked up to as simple marketing since they also wanted me to trade it in for something else.

Overall, I just ignore correspondence like that as there's no real benefit for me since you almost always fetch a higher price with private sales.

Good luck with the search. I think you'll find that you're just as competent, if not more, as the dealership looking for the vehicle you want.

Are you wanting to leave it in the dealership's hands for time convenience or because you don't think you'll find one in the colour you like?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Definitely marketing trying to get you to trade up to a new vehicle.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

All of these “we want to buy your vehicle” guys. See how quick they go radio silent when you mention you don’t want a new car.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Have you tried looking Out of Province?
    There's probably used dealers that will bring them in including inspection for a convenience fee if you're interested in going that route.

I've been offered this by dealerships dozens of times. Just another scam to get you into another vehicle most of the time. Any cars they do come up with are either trade-ins that they paid pennies on the dollar for and want you to pay top dollar for, or junk they find at auctions. Also half the time you never even hear from them - they take your name/number and the kind of car you want and then it's silence. The other half of the time they call you with all kinds of cars that aren't even close to what you told them you wanted, harassing you non-stop.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Thanks for the comments everyone

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Are you wanting to leave it in the dealership's hands for time convenience or because you don't think you'll find one in the colour you like?
    Less for the convenience, moreso they are have access to the information on who has vehicles in certain colors/specs.

Its funny, all of the "your car is in high demand" scam comments. In this situation it wouldn't be a scam, I would actually like to buy the car! haha

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Have you tried looking Out of Province?
    There's probably used dealers that will bring them in including inspection for a convenience fee if you're interested in going that route.
    I have been looking Canada wide... Kijiji, Cargurus, Craigslist, Autotrader... you name it!

Thats a good plan though.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Thanks for the comments everyone

Less for the convenience, moreso they are have access to the information on who has vehicles in certain colors/specs.

Its funny, all of the "your car is in high demand" scam comments. In this situation it wouldn't be a scam, I would actually like to buy the car! haha
    Haha, for sure. Maybe it's just a matter of time before the one that you like pops up.

I don't think that the dealership will do a better job than you per se. If you have the time, I think looking on Autotrader and Kijiji will eventually yield results; you already know what you want and just have to be patient. It's part of the process when you're looking for a vehicle with specific options. I looked for so long before I found a G37 that wasn't owned by a budget baller living in Rundle

Is your vehicle colour/spec option combo in popular demand?

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Honda west has called/emailed a couple times about buying my car. No obligation to buy a new one they say. I imagine they would only give trade in value though. Ain't nobody got time fo that!

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Haha, for sure. Maybe it's just a matter of time before the one that you like pops up.

I don't think that the dealership will do a better job than you per se. If you have the time, I think looking on Autotrader and Kijiji will eventually yield results; you already know what you want and just have to be patient. It's part of the process when you're looking for a vehicle with specific options. I looked for so long before I found a G37 that wasn't owned by a budget baller living in Rundle

Is your vehicle colour/spec option combo in popular demand?
    Lol! Got a laugh out of the Rundle Budget baller comment.

I would say that its probably not "popular demand".... in the sense that I am looking for a older high mileage porsche... but that said they do move.

Thanks for the comments everyone, is the $300 finders fee reasonable? Or is that laughable to a sales rep?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    Honda west has called/emailed a couple times about buying my car. No obligation to buy a new one they say. I imagine they would only give trade in value though. Ain't nobody got time fo that!
    Honda West has agents that sit on Kijiji etc and message every single car telling them they are interested. Can't say their offers are any good though

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Lol! Got a laugh out of the Rundle Budget baller comment.

I would say that its probably not "popular demand".... in the sense that I am looking for a older high mileage porsche... but that said they do move.

Thanks for the comments everyone, is the $300 finders fee reasonable? Or is that laughable to a sales rep?
    Mind sharing your insight into why you're targeting a higher mileage Cayenne? I looked into getting a Cayenne that was outside of the warranty, but everything I've heard about them indicates maintenance is absolutely atrocious (e.g. battery drainage problems, and battery is located underneath the drivers seat).

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I looked for so long before I found a G37 that wasn't owned by a budget baller living in Rundle
    Is it really wrong of us to instantly close any ads with an NE address?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think we've all been hurt too many time by the NE budget baller who had his cousin fix up the car.

Back when I was looking for my fit, I was out in the "real" NE looking at a pretty blue one. Turns out it was salvage, and yep, his cousin is a "registered" mechanic who did all the repairs. You can see the paint drips where they resprayed, and oh yeah, they haven't passed the salvage inspection yet, so that's up to the buyer. Sigh. So glad I found the current car from a true beyond baller, it's been great.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

I do it every time.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I do it every time.
    I also close the ad if they have beads hanging from the rearview mirror but that's pretty standard if the car is from the NE anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast