Quantcast
Petty Neighbourhood - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Petty Neighbourhood

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

+1 on inner city, people are way more chill.

I don’t even know my neighbors names.

Plus with skinny inner city streets, no one drives the speed limit anyways lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm at the north end of Mount Pleasant. The cheap end. Around us it's a decent mix of young families, seniors, and dirtbag renters. I assume if you go the nicer side, you replace the dirtbag renters with dirtbag millionaires.
    We may not be able to afford the "nicer" side haha - we'll see I guess. I did some Real Estate photos for a client up there who just built a row house complex and it's quite nice - really close to SAIT but $600K each for 1 parking spot and condo fees. Right now Montgomery is our front runner, barring any unpleasant surprises but we're open to a lot of ideas. My dream is to have neighbors that either keep to themselves entirely, or become our friends, but its a total lottery haha.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I really like Montgomery too. I think I'd fit in there. I would not fit in out in west springs, even though the few beyonders I have met out there seem chill, I think they are the exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    We may not be able to afford the "nicer" side haha - we'll see I guess. I did some Real Estate photos for a client up there who just built a row house complex and it's quite nice - really close to SAIT but $600K each for 1 parking spot and condo fees. Right now Montgomery is our front runner, barring any unpleasant surprises but we're open to a lot of ideas. My dream is to have neighbors that either keep to themselves entirely, or become our friends, but its a total lottery haha.
    Has Montgomery changed that much over the years? To me it's still the hood.
    I'm really generalizing here, but as long as you're surrounded by newer infills they're usually owned by young professionals who care enough about their health not to smoke. If you're in an area that's not as developed and next to an original bungalow, there's a good chance you'll be next to lower income renters and any problems they bring.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I'd check out Lakeview too, not much further than Marda Loop and lots of nice duplexes and townhouses that might hit the spot for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Has Montgomery changed that much over the years? To me it's still the hood.
    I'm really generalizing here, but as long as you're surrounded by newer infills they're usually owned by young professionals who care enough about their health not to smoke. If you're in an area that's not as developed and next to an original bungalow, there's a good chance you'll be next to lower income renters and any problems they bring.
    My impression when I was there was it was like any other neighborhood currently being gentrified, it's ~50% infills, ~25% renovated original bungalows and ~25% dumps/rentals. Proximity to downtown, the West exit to the mountains, COP, Edworthy Park/River, Beaumont Park, 2 hospitals, schools, Market Mall, etc. is really good. The views West are good because it's kind of on a hill. One of the realtors I do photos for built their "forever" home (more like mansion) there, so obviously they liked it enough to do so. We've only driven through a few times though to view open houses, so I still have more research and due diligence to do on the area. Negatives would probably include proximity to Bowness, but that is also becoming gentrified. It also has no good restaurants except Notable near by, that I am aware of anyway, so eating out would most often mean heading back Downtown. I wouldn't buy a new build that was directly beside a dump of a house that wasn't being cared for, or was obviously a rental. There's entire streets there that are almost all infills, so that is what I would target. Price points for similar homes seems to be a bit less than Mt Pleasant or Marda Loop. Altadore is too expensive for what we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I'd check out Lakeview too, not much further than Marda Loop and lots of nice duplexes and townhouses that might hit the spot for you.
    We really like Lakeview as an area, but they don't seem to have many new infills that aren't multi million dollar gigantic houses near the water. The majority of the houses there seem to be small renovated bungalows, and the problem with those is almost always no walk-in closet, super old garage, and no en suite for the master bedroom - and if they do have those things, it really eats into the main floor square footage. We're basically looking for your standard new-build duplex, 1800sqft or so + developed basement.

Sorry for the partial thread derail haha - I do really appreciate the info and suggestions though, we are still very much in the learning phase and open to a lot places.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-29-2019 at 11:01 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Continuing the thread derail. my two suggestions are to 1) walk around the neighborhood after 8pm. and 2) walk around the back alleys. You'll get a feel for the place much better than daytime visits to the front street.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Continuing the thread derail. my two suggestions are to 1) walk around the neighborhood after 8pm. and 2) walk around the back alleys. You'll get a feel for the place much better than daytime visits to the front street.
    Thanks, that's a good idea to check it out when everyone is home. I've also been looking at commute times from DT on google maps during rush hour, and for that Killarney and Montgomery actually seem to be the best compared to the neighborhoods directly North of DT, but it could have just been the day. I am not a fan of having to use the back alley to access the garage, but that seems completely unavoidable inner-city unless you're in a mansion.

My Ride
    Silverado

We're going to be moving into an inner city duplex and threads like this make me scared of who might live next to us haha. If they were cigarette smokers, that would probably be the absolute worst though - I think I could handle just about anything else. As much as I would hate it, one of these lazy parent signs would probably be the least of my worries haha.
    If a neighbour smoking is the worst thing you could handle you should definitely never move. You sound like 'that' neighbour hahah. Gonna spray them with a hose if they do?

Our neighbours are hitting the weed pipe on the deck most nights. hilarious smell and you can hear them tapping the bowl out with a lighter. Hillarious. But you can probably find stuff like that no matter where you move. Based on my experience the price of the houses don't even matter. Some neighbours are weird, some are great.

We bought in woodbine. Hopefully once the ring road opens it'll shave 10 minutes off my commute. Would be nice to get DT in 15-20 minutes.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 08-29-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    If a neighbour smoking is the worst thing you could handle you should definitely never move. You sound like 'that' neighbour hahah. Gonna spray them with a hose if they do?

Our neighbours are hitting the weed pipe on the deck most nights. hilarious smell and you can hear them tapping the bowl out with a lighter. Hillarious. But you can probably find stuff like that no matter where you move. Based on my experience the price of the houses don't even matter. Some neighbours are weird, some are great.

We bought in woodbine. Hopefully once the ring road opens it'll shave 10 minutes off my commute. Would be nice to get DT in 15-20 minutes.
    15-20 mins from woodbine? Sounds like a pipedream.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    15-20 mins from woodbine? Sounds like a pipedream.
    Could happen, it’s about that taking elbow at night when the lights are timed well

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Could happen, it’s about that taking elbow at night when the lights are timed well
    18 ish km's... I don't know how the ring road is going to make it shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post

I am probably the furthest thing you can possibly get from "that" neighbor. I am the neighbor that would do all your yard work just because I am outside doing my own. VERY little bothers me to the point I would even say something to a neighbor, but cigarette smoke specifically (I couldn't care less if they occasionally smoked weed) is the worst and pretty much the one and only thing I can't stand. I would never complain about noise unless it was completely ridiculous, and ongoing for days. I don't have kids for anyone to wake up. If my entire house literally smells like smoke, yeah I would have a major issue with that because now it's affecting my property value and my health. Thankfully most people don't smoke, especially the young couple / DINK lifestyle types that tend to buy infills and are most likely to be our neighbors. And no I wouldn't spray anyone with a hose for smoking, or do anything retaliatory or physical - I am not sure what you're trying to get at there.

I grew up in Woodbine for the first ~20 years of my life, I love the neighborhood but the downtown commute is an absolute nightmare. ~15 years ago when I was in University I remember thinking to myself that when the ring road is done, I will have such an easy commute to school Now I think it's 2024 or 2026 or something like that for completion. The transit commute is ~1-1.5 hours (bus + train) on a good day, 2+ on a bad day in the winter. Driving is better but not by a ton. With the 14th st and Crowchild construction going on right now it must really suck unless you leave super early. Zero traffic, middle of the night, Woodbine to Downtown is about 20-25 minutes in my experience. It depends exactly where you're going in the core though.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Wtaf

That guy with the hose is lucky he isn’t breathing through a tube right now imo.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    18 ish km's... I don't know how the ring road is going to make it shorter.
    Faster... with the 100km/h speed limit and no lights. The biggest issue currently is it takes forever to get down 14th st. Once you hit crowchild it’s well under 10min if you take bow. So ring road to crowchild won’t be over 10min I wouldn’t think... really the biggest variable is how much community driving your location has in woodbine before getting on the ring road

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Faster... with the 100km/h speed limit and no lights. The biggest issue currently is it takes forever to get down 14th st. Once you hit crowchild it’s well under 10min if you take bow. So ring road to crowchild won’t be over 10min I wouldn’t think... really the biggest variable is how much community driving your location has in woodbine before getting on the ring road
    Is it going to be 100km/h for sure? The 4-6 lane divided highway that is behind Woodbine right now (37th st) is only 80KM/h.

My Ride
    Silverado

I am probably the furthest thing you can possibly get from "that" neighbor. I am the neighbor that would do all your yard work just because I am outside doing my own. VERY little bothers me to the point I would even say something to a neighbor, but cigarette smoke specifically (I couldn't care less if they occasionally smoked weed) is the worst and pretty much the one and only thing I can't stand. I would never complain about noise unless it was completely ridiculous, and ongoing for days. I don't have kids for anyone to wake up. If my entire house literally smells like smoke, yeah I would have a major issue with that because now it's affecting my property value and my health. Thankfully most people don't smoke, especially the young couple / DINK lifestyle types that tend to buy infills and are most likely to be our neighbors. And no I wouldn't spray anyone with a hose for smoking, or do anything retaliatory or physical - I am not sure what you're trying to get at there.

I grew up in Woodbine for the first ~20 years of my life, I love the neighborhood but the downtown commute is an absolute nightmare. ~15 years ago when I was in University I remember thinking to myself that when the ring road is done, I will have such an easy commute to school Now I think it's 2024 or 2026 or something like that for completion. The transit commute is ~1-1.5 hours (bus + train) on a good day, 2+ on a bad day in the winter. Driving is better but not by a ton. With the 14th st and Crowchild construction going on right now it must really suck unless you leave super early. Zero traffic, middle of the night, Woodbine to Downtown is about 20-25 minutes in my experience. It depends exactly where you're going in the core though.
    Eh sorry about that, I was just kidding around. I also dislike cigarette smoke. good thing most people don't smoke anymore.

It takes me about 30 minutes to get to the mcdougall parkade as it is now leaving at 7:30. This knowing what lanes to use. 14th street is generally the fuckaround, especially with them building the BRT right now. I also live right by the ring road entrance so it would be a very convenient way to glenmore. That along should save about 10-15 minutes. the only issue is getting back to crowchild. Will have to wait and see how much time that adds back on.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 08-29-2019 at 02:24 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Is it going to be 100km/h for sure? The 4-6 lane divided highway that is behind Woodbine right now (37th st) is only 80KM/h.
    It also has lights on it... I think that’s more of the deciding factor to speed limits than anything

My Ride
    Silverado

AFAIK the entire ring road will have a speed limit of 100 kph

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast